Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th December 2010, 07:28   #31
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Import/Export question?

Earlier on this year the Kenyan government introduced import restrictions making it illegal to import vehicles from outside of Kenya older than 6 years old. The ones which had arrived at the time the law was introduced were seized at the port of entry, impounded and crushed if found to be older than the 6 years. Are there any similar restrictions for South Africa? e.g Cape Town.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 08:10   #32
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

I should add that I have no plans to export S750 LJW out of the UK.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:59   #33
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Default Spectacular Water Jets Out Of Spark Plug Holes

Hi Phil,
I'm not sure about that, but I shall speak to people in the motor trade and let you know. However, before considering bringing a car in here from anywhere else, read this;
Three days ago while driving to Somerset West on the N2 the water pipe running down from the T - piece to the thermostat burst and completely drained the system. There were no noises, smoke or warnings from the instrument panel until I stopped at a robot and the engine cut out without a warning. I had tools in the car, removed the pipe and set off looking for a replacement. Three hours later, I had managed to modify another cars pipe and inserted it. I then attempted to fill the radiator but the water disappeared without spilling out the bottom of the car. Thankfully I discovered it (the water) when I removed the spark plugs... I have set out with my next mission to locate stores (or a store) that keeps spares for these cars and that is a mission in itself. Where found, the prices are ridiculous compared to locally available motor spare parts.
The moral of this story: If I was you and perhaps considering acquiring a motor vehicle here, I would buy it here and make sure there are plenty spares available for that specific model.
If you’re wondering if I’m going to rid myself of this car before or after I repaired it? Neither, I’m going to fix and keep it. As they say, love is blind…
Willie
Woodgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 19:56   #34
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Willie

I remember looking at the water pipe running from the T-Piece and it looked fine at the time. It just goes to show that anything can happen at any time.

I will take your advice and not import a car into S.A

The family this end have agreed that I can buy a 'Backkie' during our next visit next Feb'March. Probably a 2006 model with low to medium mileage. Am keeping an eye from time to time on autotrader.za and the other sites you mentioned.

You did well to find the source of the leak and to get everything sorted out so quickly. I see there are loads of car dealerships, used and new ones along by 'Century' on the way to Gordons Bay, where STILS also sell the farm machinery and a great industrial area of car parts etc. Drive through Somerset West, turn right at the traffic light opposite the Heart Unit Hospital...stay on that road and you will see the car dealerships either side of the road...keep going over the railway bridge, spare auto-parts and maybe find what you need..you might know it already?

Some of the guys on the forum here keep their 75/ZT's going by replacing them engines from other makes as you know.

If you would like me to post up a photo of your MG ZT on the forum which I took at your place and up at the farm, I would gladly do it..do let me know either way. Apart from the mechanical issues you have had with it now and again, it is in immaculate condition and a dream to drive.

I am away now for 3 nights from tomorrow heading south into the Rift Valley and will be out of contact. Bye for now

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 17th December 2010 at 19:57.. Reason: spelling
Old 17th December 2010, 20:18   #35
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMORT3rnAL View Post
Hi, sorry for only replying now...

I take it you're going to import most of the parts? I found a place in Cape Town that deals with Rover write offs and they have a few nice parts but I've given up because they never return my calls.

Do you plan on doing any engine mods execpt for the thirsty 4.6l V8 monster?

Here's some pics of my beauty...

Do you have any pics?

Love those wheels - they look the biz!

brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 04:35   #36
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Default ZT with Alfa Engine. mmmm

I remember looking at the water pipe running from the T-Piece and it looked fine at the time. It just goes to show that anything can happen at any time.
Some of the guys on the forum here keep their 75/ZT's going by replacing them engines from other makes as you know.

Hello Phil,

My car is now parked at my office with the battery terminals disconnected. If I pour coolant into the radiator it simply runs into the piston chambers - waste of good water. I'll fix it next year, an expensive and time consuming excercise that I'm not looking forward to.
Of course you may post photos and No, I did not know that other make engines are fitted to these cars. As I mentioned to you before; I would love a ZT with a 3.2 litre Alfa Romeo V6 engine and 6 speed gearbox. I doubt the financial outlay is worth the bother though.
You guys seem to be having a fantastic time. Dont wast one minute of a day. It's just not worth it.

Cheers W
Old 18th December 2010, 04:48   #37
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Default No 2nd Hand Spares In Cape Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
Love those wheels - they look the biz!
Hi Wayne, not sure if you posted for my benefit.
There are people in Durbanville that keep spares for our cars and I'm not aware of a place that deals with second hand spares. I have noticed that "Gumtree" and "Cape Ads" run nationwide ads for spares and cars for sale, but as you have experienced, no response or old ads that has not been removed. Engine spares are available for the 1.8 because of the Freelander sharing the same engine as the MG/Rover. Your car looks good - love the green.
Enjoy the holidays

Cheers willie
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:14   #38
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Willie and Wayne

Festive Greetings !

I love the 'Green' as well. My last CDTi was a greener as well.

I am just back from the Rift Valley - Tanzania-Kenyan part. My Trooper had a smashed windscreen (another story) which was replaced yesterday.

I was chatting with my 'other half' last night and I am thinking about importing the 2004 CDTi to Cape Town (the long way round by sea, as the other route via Kenyan waters is now designated by global insurers, a war zone and export fees via that route are double).

As for spare parts, as you know Willie, I am able to source some parts in the UK and fly them out with me in my travels. So far I have not encountered any problems with Customs.

So am going to look into exporting the CDTi against the feasibility, cost and practicality over the next few weeks.

I am back in London on 15 Jan and later on will arrange to meet Lewis and to pick up..insure..etc,... see S750 LJW

Phil
Old 29th December 2010, 05:23   #39
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Willie

How is the fitting of the head gasket and ABS module going? Quite a challenge I imagine.

I did some more research about tourists importing motors into S.A .."Lots of red tape". The application has to be made in Pretoria with 3 independent valuations being submitted, plus a payment of 22% import tax on the accepted valuation of the CDTi. This is what I have managed to find out so far, but it might just the the tip of the iceberg so to speak!

I know you are away over the festive period.

All the best

Phil
Old 11th January 2011, 12:49   #40
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Willie. Can you remind me which MG ZT you have and the year of its manufacture, also which BMW you have and the year of manufacture?

Re: Model compatibility for a diagnostics scanner I am to order and bring out to Cape Town when I am next there, sometime towards the end of Feb, all being well.

Is the scanner for straight forward diagnostics or would you want additional stuff such as Oil, ABS, Air Bags?

Phil