Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2012, 20:48   #31
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Yep, macro can be done for not much cash. I use extension tubes or reverse a lens onto the camera or put something like a 135mm on the camera and reverse a 28mm on the end of that. You can see individual electrons like that

I got hold of a really cheap crappy teleconverter and took the glass out, it gave me an extesion tube with electrical conections to the lens.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 05:30   #32
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Amazing looking photos there Alan. You are quite right about getting personal with the subject matter. That is indeed very close, very personal - fascinating. On reflection I went with the Nikon because of the brand. I had a Nikon before and never ever had any problems with it. I did look at Sony, Canon and not at Pentax, but settled on the Nikon. I suffer from shaky hands and it is because of this that I desire some help in dealing with certain shots. The VR lenses are really pricey and out of my range. So when I am out in the bush with the wild life, I sometimes have to pass my camera over to someone to take a photo and that person may not always know about field craft and how to take a shot. I will be in the UK for a couple of weeks (I might have time to check some brands/lenses out) before returning to Kenya and then down to South Africa where I am also very lucky to be close to the wild life on the mountain farm for a few months. I have taken thousands of photos of wild birds, reptiles, the 'Big-Five'. Insects such as the ones you and Paul have shown, is something I have not attempted. Paul, I showed the wife how you cleaned up the Flamingo shot and she said Wow!
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 07:23   #33
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

One thing I would say is that if buying lenses is really out of your budget have you looked at the superzoom compact bridge cameras? All the control of an SLR but in a smaller package. Granted the overall image quality will never be as detailed as what an SLR can produce but with many of the modern superzooms having lenses equal to an 800mm lens they do allow you to get very close to the action and many now have CMOS sensors.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 07:34   #34
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
One thing I would say is that if buying lenses is really out of your budget have you looked at the superzoom compact bridge cameras? All the control of an SLR but in a smaller package. Granted the overall image quality will never be as detailed as what an SLR can produce but with many of the modern superzooms having lenses equal to an 800mm lens they do allow you to get very close to the action and many now have CMOS sensors.
That's a good shout. I looked really hard at a bridge camera before going for the SLR. I had even chosen the one I was getting. Some are really good and you will never have to buy another lens (well maybe something for extreme macro). Also you can travel light with just the camera instead of a bag full of lenses. In fact if I had lot's of money I'd have one, for those moments you just want to pick up a camera and go.

Here are a few

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...-the-year.html

Last edited by Rocket; 20th January 2012 at 07:40..
Old 20th January 2012, 09:12   #35
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I've currently got the Canon SX30 IS plus a few lens attachments.
Previously i've had the SX1 IS and the S5 IS, both great little cameras.

It boils down to compromise, the compact gives me advantages over the big lens in that I can snap away at a full 840mm zoom while handholding. It also has a 4x digital teleconvertor which gives equal to 140x zoom, which is absolutely rubbish for still images it is fine for HD video.

As I mentioned in Starbugs post I did buy the Fuji HS10 but I preferred the electronic zoom toggle as opposed to Fuji's zoom ring.
In the end I missed the intuitive firmware of the Canon so opted for the SX30.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 09:22   #36
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Panasonic have done some good bridge cameras over the years, I think their newest one is supposed to be a cracker.

Phil, I don't know how you shoot but regarding the shaky hands, a tripod and a remote control would work. Not much use if you are in a group on a vehicle though.

If you were mainly shooting wildlife, a bridge camera on a tripod with a remote would give excellent resuts.

Last edited by Rocket; 20th January 2012 at 09:34..
Old 20th January 2012, 15:18   #37
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post

Where were those Shaggy Ink Caps please? I'll come and pick them next Autumn before they get in that state. Delicious!

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 16:21   #38
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Where were those Shaggy Ink Caps please? I'll come and pick them next Autumn before they get in that state. Delicious!
On my patio. I'll light the bbq for you.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:10   #39
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

A bridge camera could be answer to my problems. Tomorrow a.m I am flying to London just with hand luggage, one bag and only room for some documents and the laptop. The Nikon is being left behind because of weight. I just had a quick look at the link you posted up Paul. Thanks for the idea. I like it and the price range looks good. I will also look at the Canon Alan described. I really can't believe my luck, in that I simply bent over this morning to pick something up and then my back went....arrgh! darn it. So am loaded up on analgesics. Such is life but then there is always someone worse off.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 09:19   #40
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
On my patio. I'll light the bbq for you.
Cheers Rocket. You really should try them, but when they're younger than those in the photo'. Fried or microwaved for a few minutes in a drop of milk. Tasty!

Chad.

PS. I've only ever seen them growing in grass before. Very surprised to see them in a paved patio.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.

Last edited by Grumpy1; 21st January 2012 at 09:22..
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote