Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Was it you?
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th September 2013, 20:55   #31
stevo snr
Loves to post

Rover 75Mk2 Saloon Conn SE CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75tourerSE View Post
Simply do not understand how people on here are blaming the people filming, as if somehow they are responsible for his driving? Should he have someone follow him then, to park for him wherever he goes? Should everybody help these drivers who are simply NOT upto the required standards of the Highway Code ??

Sorry, but I have a Close family member who is just as bad as this, they have overturned 1 car, fell asleep whilst car was on cruise control, smashed numerous other cars, mostly getting car into parking spaces or into their council garage... and when they have been caught by drivers whose cars they hit, Paid out in cash to avoid getting insurance involved.... @ 85 years of age !!!!

Does not tell DVLA about a Cataract op he had etc etc, and yes, I have suggested they hang up keys but they are so nasty, they simply ignore your existance....... I have asked other relatives to stop them driving, all to no avail.... it requires Police/Doctors/DVLA to do more to make sure we meet the required safe standards...

Only recently he clipped a kerb on Motorway, (blamed a tyre blowout) and wrote off the car into the centre reservation....

So, for me, people as seen in this video do not come as a shock, I see them not only in my close family but around me all the time. I spend most days sat behind them muttering how they really should "Give Up Driving" .. You are unsafe and an accident waiting to happen... had this chap "Hit a Child" the views would be far different.....

But nobody stops them and checks their driving standards, which Is why I find the Highway Code, and New Driving Test a farce.... New drivers have to learn to be safe on the roads, yet get stung bigtime for insurance, YET... some of the drivers already on the road have never sat a driving test, let alone be able to pass the modern day version of one, yet are given a good clean record/nice insurance premiums, because many "hide" their accidents from the insurance companies....

I have always been for a retest........ and always will be, because trust me, if anyone ran over one of my children or grandchildren, they would not like the outcome....
It pains me to say this, I've never read so much self opinionated trash.

I think you should realise that you know nothing at all about the gentleman in the video, yet you jump to conclusions about the state of his health and his driving ability, with about the same level of compassion as the two idiots that sat there sniggering and filming him while he struggled. Yet you compare him with some relative of yours, priceless!

The gentleman in the Rover had got himself into a predicament in a tight car park, had damaged his car and was probably under a great deal of stress. There is no evidence here that his general standard of driving on the road is inadequate, yet you wish to condemn him.

I could write a lot more here, but quite frankly can't be bothered, but I would like to point out that young drivers statistically have more accidents than any others. Oh, and one last thought you may even get old yourself some day.
Old 9th September 2013, 21:30   #32
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Default Hope to god it wasn't you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo snr View Post
There is no evidence here that his general standard of driving on the road is inadequate, yet you wish to condemn him.
Err... Are you saying that the level of driving skill in the video is adequate then?

Also,
As someone else here said, suggesting to a 'senior' person that they should hang up their keys in my experience can result in extremely hostile reactions. Presumably it takes a major accident to get through. Shame.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2013, 21:31   #33
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Not wishing to get into an argument with anyone but I wonder what you would think if he was trying to park next to your car!
Old 10th September 2013, 09:48   #34
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
It pains me to say this, I've never read so much self opinionated trash.
If you think this is self opinionated you may want to avoid the rest of the internet.......or the press.....or the TV then!

Quote:
I think you should realise that you know nothing at all about the gentleman in the video, yet you jump to conclusions about the state of his health and his driving ability.................
Seriously? Are we watching the same video? I can only assume you clicked on a video of fluffy bunnies playing in a field because the one I saw made it all too evident that he's not in good health and has absolutely no driving ability whatsoever. The actions in the video were not those of a competent driver.

Quote:
..............I could write a lot more here, but quite frankly can't be bothered, but I would like to point out that young drivers statistically have more accidents than any others. Oh, and one last thought you may even get old yourself some day.
You might like to point that out but of course you would be wrong. Yes younger drivers are in a higher risk group, according to DfT statistics they have more accidents involving other cars however older drivers are also in the higher risk group and have more accidents involving pedestrians, bikes and motorbikes. There is a reason that your insurance gets more expensive when you start to get on a bit!
And yes we will all get old at some point, but I would like to think that a majority of us will have the sense to hang up our car keys before we get to the stage of the chap in the video. Thankfully both of my Grandfathers displayed this sense and stopped driving when they were not happy they could control the vehicle adequately and I hope to have inherited that sense!

Finally I do believe that older people need to be tested regularly to ensure that they are still up to the standard required. That said I think that everyone should have to attend a basic check (mini driving test?) every 10 years or so, it seems ridiculous that you pass your test at 17 and it's then assumed that your fit to drive for your entire life without any further assessments!
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:48   #35
Leachim
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Parking problems....

Yes, I agree with all the others who said that it was absolutely disgraceful of those louts to mockingly film the guy rather than help.

As I learned today, the fact of the matter is that a Rover 75 is just about one of the worst possible cars to park or manoeuvre. Visibility is terrible, steering lock poor....

Of course it's an age thing!!! I'm 69 years old and I was utterly terrified today when I had to park my Rover 75 in a private multi-storey carpark with very tight bends and bad illumination.

I've never in all my 50 years of driving had such difficulty. Worst of all was that because the steep spiral roadway turned round rightwards (as is usual in France), with this rhd vehicle it was impossible for me to see where the left front wing/bonnet were with respect to the stone and concrete wall.

I had to take several ''bites'' back and forth on a very steep slope and tight bend. And doing that with an automatic box rather than simple gear/clutch was a total nightmare!!! Amazing I didn't scrape or dent it.

I have decided today that in all the circunstances this rhd car is simply too dangerous and difficult for me to keep in France. She may look great, but to drive she's as bad as the 1947 Rover 16 which was my first car and a rough P4 Rover 90 I had in the early 1970s.
They also had lousy steering and bad visibility. Some things don't change, then!

It's a relief to get back into my Peugeot 605. Now there's a much too-little known and under-estimated car....
Leachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 10:09   #36
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

You have to feel sorry for the driver, sometimes logic goes out of the window in these situations, panic takes over and frankly the idiots should have tried to guide the driver rather than impress their friends in the pub or on facebook..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 12:04   #37
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

If you've ever watched the comedy Friday Night Dinner you will immediately think of Mr Morris and his Mercedes 😀.
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 17:43   #38
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Holy thread revival Batman.

Been a lot of that about today, quite poignant in some cases
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 05:57   #39
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney View Post
Holy thread revival Batman.

Been a lot of that about today, quite poignant in some cases
Just noticed the date
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 13:14   #40
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Shocking that anyone can just sit by and watch this.
This is most likely a person suffering from some age related disability.

He should most likely not be driving, but able people should have come to his rescue as soon as it became apparent that there was a problem.

That is the humane and decent way to behave.

Shame!

Last edited by kaiser; 5th September 2017 at 13:20..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote