Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2016, 12:11   #341
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It seems they have 'found' a 'legal' way. They are saying the web site crashed an hour before the deadline! Predictable or what? What chance another glitch if, or when, the Outers win? Was it a glitch? Who is in control of it?
Old 8th June 2016, 12:14   #342
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
And the establishment stitch up continues, the government and electoral commision are now trying to find a way of extending the deadline for voter registration. Clearly they have looked at the statistics that it's mostly younger voters that are registering, who are far more likely to vote remain, so now they are taking unprecedented step of extending the registration period! And are trying to find a 'legal' way of doing this.

Not to mention that it's down to local authorities to issue the polling cards (most of which are Labour run councils who want to remain) who are handing them out people who shouldn't even be eligible.
Yes this is worrying - not so much the extension re registration as the site went down - but a deadline is a deadline.

The reports of some councils handing out polling cards to thiose that are not eligible to vote requires investigation.
Old 8th June 2016, 12:34   #343
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
DD, my La La La comment was made in response to your post 255 in which you said Gove was ignoring economic warnings because he reckoned they were generally too inaccurate. (Farage said something similar last night). So I was fundamentally referring to the campaigners, not you etc. We're you named by me? No.

Now I've had to put with a number of low level snide comments, from you and others. Doesn't really bother me, it just undermines my respect for people issuing them. A quick cursory glance of this thread will clearly show who has been throwing the insults around.
Oh, please Bob! Nobody has insulted you. Having your arguments challenged is all part of the fun! This thread is conspicuous in having an entirely courteous record. Opposing challenges may be vigorous but then so are some of yours! And all taken in good part. Lighten up mate! Many on here have put considerable thought into self-moderation in a serious subject that arouses sincerely held and passionate beliefs! You've even had sincere apologies, unnecessary in my view, for any misunderstanding. Cheer up, only two weeks to go! You might, only might mind you, win!
Old 8th June 2016, 13:03   #344
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
And the establishment stitch up continues, the government and electoral commision are now trying to find a way of extending the deadline for voter registration. Clearly they have looked at the statistics that it's mostly younger voters that are registering, who are far more likely to vote remain, so now they are taking unprecedented step of extending the registration period! And are trying to find a 'legal' way of doing this.

Not to mention that it's down to local authorities to issue the polling cards (most of which are Labour run councils who want to remain) who are handing them out people who shouldn't even be eligible.

Yet another example of the goalposts being moved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 8th June 2016, 13:18   #345
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

I don't see it in the same way as yourself.

My view is that all those who are eligible to vote should have the opportunity to do so for such an important referendum. If that requires the deadline for registering to vote to be extended into the voting day then that is what should be done.

Alternatively, all eligible voters should have been required to re-register in order not to create any bias.

At the moment, by virtue of the fact that a higher percentage of older voters will already be registered compared with the younger voters, in my view created an inherent bias.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:07   #346
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I don't see it in the same way as yourself.

My view is that all those who are eligible to vote should have the opportunity to do so for such an important referendum. If that requires the deadline for registering to vote to be extended into the voting day then that is what should be done.

Alternatively, all eligible voters should have been required to re-register in order not to create any bias.

At the moment, by virtue of the fact that a higher percentage of older voters will already be registered compared with the younger voters, in my view created an inherent bias.

Totally agree, how can it be a bad thing that as many people as possible vote? I have no idea which side on line voters are more likely to go for, but we should do everything possible to try and get the turnout as near 100% as possible.

If the turnout is only 70% and the winning margin is 55% that means a mighty 38.5% of those eligible have made that decision and the other side will constantly want another referendum.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:33   #347
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Default Cameron vs Farage

Enjoyed comparing the two last night.

DC was as polished as you'd expect, seemed calm and well briefed etc.

Farage was nowhere near as bad as I expected. However when challenged by a couple of questioners he was defensive, dismissive and not so impressive.

The trouble for Farage was identified by the ITV analyser afterwards, who said his performance demonstrated why he will always remain a 15% politician and not a 50% one. He's not able to win over the majority because he can't articulate how his single interest politics could form the basis of a national government.

And remember the official Leave campaign were livid ITV chose Farage instead of Gove or the Court Jester, because they know that whilst his fans love him, he doesn't convert undecided voters into Leave voters.
Old 8th June 2016, 15:46   #348
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Totally agree, how can it be a bad thing that as many people as possible vote? I have no idea which side on line voters are more likely to go for, but we should do everything possible to try and get the turnout as near 100% as possible.

If the turnout is only 70% and the winning margin is 55% that means a mighty 38.5% of those eligible have made that decision and the other side will constantly want another referendum.
You could argue that a General Election was of some importance. Would you apply the above to that as well? There can't be anybody that isn't aware of what's happening.

You could say there has been plenty of advance warning with even adverts on TV and in the papers. Council offices have had posters up. When is a deadline not a deadline?

It's widely thought that poor turnouts reflect apathy as a result of disaffection with politics and politicians among the electorate - they do have a right not to vote for whatever reason.

To many people this referendum is of no more importance or relevance than an election. In fact, every household in the country has had a letter from the government, paid for by the taxpayer and extolling the virtues of staying in! Just about the whole world is in the picture! Isn't it more realistic to assume that those not registered just don't care, are totally fed up with the whole thing or, more likely, no longer here.

Quote:
Enjoyed comparing the two last night.

DC was as polished as you'd expect, seemed calm and well briefed etc.

Farage was nowhere near as bad as I expected. However when challenged by a couple of questioners he was defensive, dismissive and not so impressive.

The trouble for Farage was identified by the ITV analyser afterwards, who said his performance demonstrated why he will always remain a 15% politician and not a 50% one. He's not able to win over the majority because he can't articulate how his single interest politics could form the basis of a national government.

And remember the official Leave campaign were livid ITV chose Farage instead of Gove or the Court Jester, because they know that whilst his fans love him, he doesn't convert undecided voters into Leave voters.
Yes, I agree, DC was polished. But seriously faltered when challenged. Farage was heckled more than questioned! One woman wouldn't let him answer and he had to appeal to Etchingham to stop her shouting with "I can't do anything if I'm not allowed to talk" and even then she wouldn't rest. I counted the cheers each got, DC got two with Farage on four!
Andrew Neil tonight, should be lively.

Last edited by Dragrad; 8th June 2016 at 23:13.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Old 8th June 2016, 16:29   #349
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
You could argue that a General Election was of some importance. Would you apply the above to that as well? There can't be anybody that isn't aware of what's happening.

You could say there has been plenty of advance warning with even adverts on TV and in the papers. Council offices have had posters up. When is a deadline not a deadline?
By all accounts its quite common. 220k in the last 24 hours for this referendum. 500k for the last 24 hours for the last election.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 8th June 2016, 16:35   #350
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
By all accounts its quite common. 220k in the last 24 hours for this referendum. 500k for the last 24 hours for the last election.
Sooo, you might say no particular reason to extend the deadline?