Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2015, 15:15   #21
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosephus View Post
you will be surpised how quickly your ability builds up towards the end of your lessons.

i was shocked when my instructor said i was ready for my test, even more shocked when i passed 1st time. i couldnt beleive they were letting me drive on my own!! i didnt feel ready at all but i was.
Yes I felt the same, I only had 5 lessons and the instructor said I was ready.
I passed first time, my freedom then began...

Last edited by Dallas; 20th March 2015 at 15:23..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 15:17   #22
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

I catch the train to work Mon-Fri so driving is and will most likely remain for me, a bit of fun at the weekend.

As a result, I want to feel the car and take it all the way through the power bands. The best way to do that is with a manual.

If the bulk of your driving will be in slow moving traffic, I could understand the appeal of an auto.

What I will say though is you might want to make your first car, post test, a manual so that you can build on your new found skills. Really get to grips with a manual before switching to an auto so that if you're ever behind the wheel of one again, you won't be so out of touch.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:42   #23
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat View Post
There was a time that if you took your driving test in an automatic you could not drive a manual, but if you took your test in a manual you could drive an automatic, has this now changed.
If you pass your test in a car with a manual gearbox then you will be issued with a Full Licence, this will entitle you drive a car with either a manual or a automatic gearbox.

If you pass your test in a car with a automatic gearbox then you will be issued with a Automatic Licence and you will only be able to drive cars fitted with Automatic gearboxes.

If you have a Automatic Licence and the police stop you and you are driving a manual car then you can be prosecuted for driving without a licence.

Dave T

Last edited by Duotone; 20th March 2015 at 17:00..
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2015, 16:26   #24
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

I have always had manuals (And thankfully never had to do a clutch on the 3 75 manuals I've had!) but my latest 75 is an automatic and I love it. For wafting round town (I live in Aylesbury so rush hour traffic is HORRIBLE) it's great and for nice quick runs on the main A roads it's great too.

I don't think the CDT engine and auto combination is any good for trying to feel like you're 'pushing on'... I mean you can make very good progress but in a refined, relaxed way. If you want to feel that you're 'driving' on some of the great roads around here, I think a V6 manual would be what you want - and probably a ZT over a 75!
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 17:51   #25
pm77
Gets stuck in

Volvo XC70 D5 AWD Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
If you pass your test in a car with a manual gearbox then you will be issued with a Full Licence, this will entitle you drive a car with either a manual or a automatic gearbox.

If you pass your test in a car with a automatic gearbox then you will be issued with a Automatic Licence and you will only be able to drive cars fitted with Automatic gearboxes.

If you have a Automatic Licence and the police stop you and you are driving a manual car then you can be prosecuted for driving without a licence.

Dave T
True, pass in a manual, then YOU can decide what to drive. You have the rest of your driving days to decide what to do then
Old 21st March 2015, 21:16   #26
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Best advice I think is learn in a manual then decide. I agree generally it's better to have a manual for the first few years. I had a manual for 15 years before getting my 75 three years ago. A few weeks ago I had to hire a (manual) van for the day and I just about burnt the clutch out, the stress of driving it and faffing around with a clutch pedal and handbrake starts etc! So yes you do forget over time, more so if you are new to driving. Maybe the manual diesel isn't the one for you if a novice driver as the clutch repairs when they do go do seem to cost a small fortune.

On the other hand the automatic is rather lovely. As it wafts you hopefully won't feel tempted to push it too much, at least with a manual you have engine breaking as well as foot pedal braking. Just beware if you ever have to rent a car that's not an automatic.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 21:29   #27
Juego
Gets stuck in

Skoda Superb

I'm not a big fan of automatics but with both my knees starting to wear, my left one worse than my right I'm slowly being forced into having to drive automatics. I do enjoy driving my dads 730D but I prefer to be fully in control.
Juego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 21:32   #28
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Best advice I think is learn in a manual then decide. I agree generally it's better to have a manual for the first few years. I had a manual for 15 years before getting my 75 three years ago. A few weeks ago I had to hire a (manual) van for the day and I just about burnt the clutch out, the stress of driving it and faffing around with a clutch pedal and handbrake starts etc! So yes you do forget over time, more so if you are new to driving. Maybe the manual diesel isn't the one for you if a novice driver as the clutch repairs when they do go do seem to cost a small fortune.

On the other hand the automatic is rather lovely. As it wafts you hopefully won't feel tempted to push it too much, at least with a manual you have engine breaking as well as foot pedal braking. Just beware if you ever have to rent a car that's not an automatic.
I agree with the above.... drive a manual, have to go through city traffic humping the clutch up and down a couple of hundred times a day, then drive an auto, and realise what a terrible mistake you make buying a clutch muncher...