Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th March 2015, 18:48   #21
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Hi, yes, I've seen that thread. Certainly giving him the runaround that one is!
I think the exhaust lobe profile on the 190 is different to the other 2.5 V6. If it is, then the timing will be different.
When I was building the engines for our rally cars in the seventies we often changed the cams on out 1558 Lotus t/c engines and the info on valve timing was always different. We fitted vernier camshaft sprockets so we could set the cams up to whatever was required. Them were the days!!
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 06:39   #22
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

There are different locking plates. Looks like the cams need to be set at slightly different angles. Rover cleverly made this almost fool proof with the tools.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 12:02   #23
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad-Dodger View Post
I think the exhaust lobe profile on the 190 is different to the other 2.5 V6. If it is, then the timing will be different.
When I was building the engines for our rally cars in the seventies we often changed the cams on out 1558 Lotus t/c engines and the info on valve timing was always different. We fitted vernier camshaft sprockets so we could set the cams up to whatever was required. Them were the days!!
As said , the timing is different for the 190 . The tool has interchangeable sets of locating pins which lock the camshaft into position , but not the sprocket ! The sprocket assembly has a central hub which holds the camshaft but the toothed outer part remains free to rotate and allows perfect distribution of tension around the cambelt .Nice
Old 9th March 2015, 12:06   #24
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Well I hope the tools are marked for use with each engine. I'm looking at the Laser 4577 and I think Sealey make a set VS1290.
I may need some guidance here on what tool will be correct for the 190. There must be some sets out there that may not include the 190 tool.

I'm learning all the time here. I changed the timing chains on my XK8 when I bought that. That has four chains and a lot of guides and hydro tensioners plus vvt on all the camshafts. The rover setup is quite simple when compared to the Jaguar arrangement but you have to take the front of the car off the car before you can do it with ease!

I've looked at doing this without the tools and I think its perfectly possible to do it that way. But, if the 190 uses different tools I think I'll do it with the tools so at least I'll know its set up correctly for the 190.
Old 9th March 2015, 12:19   #25
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

The Sealey vs1290 is a lovely kit , but does indeed need a separate plate for the 190 , part vs4617 .
I think you can see them here http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...c-d7a9d1851b47
I believe the Laser set includes them , but do check
Old 9th March 2015, 12:19   #26
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
As said , the timing is different for the 190 . The tool has interchangeable sets of locating pins which lock the camshaft into position , but not the sprocket ! The sprocket assembly has a central hub which holds the camshaft but the toothed outer part remains free to rotate and allows perfect distribution of tension around the cambelt .Nice
Hi Chris. Yes, this system is common now with most engines. The sprocket is on a taper and not on a woodruff key, though, to be honest, I havent taken anything off this V6 yet so if I'm going in the wrong direction, please say so!
Also, that sprocket has to be held while the bolt is torqued up or it just doesn't work.