Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2015, 14:23   #21
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
We still have but...........racial sluring?? there is a law against that.
Ken.
People really need to learn the meaning of "racial"
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 15:43   #22
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Oh dear, a gullible public audience falls for a hoax again. Like so many in 'Showbiz' she has no talent, no skill, no magic, nothing to offer but controversy. And obviously it works! The publicity this rather stupid woman has received far outweighs any value her opinions might have.

Racial? Noooohh. The titular national slang she used was a deliberate attempt to stir, and it worked! In reality it's no worse than many an epithet used by Scots to mock the English and I've never heard any English person even slightly miffed by the word 'Sassenach'. Whatever Scots who might have an axe to grind think, English people regard it as an enjoyable joke. Definitely not racist! Personally? I would never under any circumstances use the word she used. Not because it might be considered racist, I couldn't give a damn if somebody deliberately misunderstands me, but because I just wouldn't want to offend anybody. It's not racist, it's just manners.
Old 1st January 2015, 16:15   #23
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Oh dear, a gullible public audience falls for a hoax again. Like so many in 'Showbiz' she has no talent, no skill, no magic, nothing to offer but controversy. And obviously it works! The publicity this rather stupid woman has received far outweighs any value her opinions might have.

Racial? Noooohh. The titular national slang she used was a deliberate attempt to stir, and it worked! In reality it's no worse than many an epithet used by Scots to mock the English and I've never heard any English person even slightly miffed by the word 'Sassenach'. Whatever Scots who might have an axe to grind think, English people regard it as an enjoyable joke. Definitely not racist! Personally? I would never under any circumstances use the word she used. Not because it might be considered racist, I couldn't give a damn if somebody deliberately misunderstands me, but because I just wouldn't want to offend anybody. It's not racist, it's just manners.
Once again the voice of reason and sensibility.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 16:16   #24
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Have to say that this is the most sensible thing that I've seen written about this!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...e-9952621.html
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 16:31   #25
Borg Warner

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
There's a law against "inciting racial hatred" not sure there's one that includes "slurring" but if you can provide a link to the one you are referring to, I'll bow to your superior knowledge!

Whilst the Tweet might not be to many peoples taste, it does highlight a bigger problem, that these "Nurses" that have been working in Ebola infected areas, are allowed to simply jump on a plane and travel anywhere in the World without having to go through a quarantine process!

And in the example quoted, was still allowed to get on a plane to Glasgow, despite "not feeling well"!

We are simply in danger of anyone being offended by anything someone else says, or as I call them, the "Professionally Enraged" or will complain about anything!

So who should be the arbiter of who decides what is acceptable?

Me? You? The Police?

Once we start restricting "Free Speech" we are sadly on the way to a Totalitarian State!

As Voltaire once said;
Again have to agree. There have been plenty of posts on this Club's pages which have been quite offensive in there own way, yet they pass without a murmur.

Well mostly.

Recently watched The Dambusters on Ch. 5. Fantastic film, real heroes. It carried a warning on the planning guide as to may contain "offensive language".

We need to lighten up somewhat. People only say such things to get a rise out of an audience. Try not to rise to the challenge, they ain't worth it.

One man's meat, is another man's poison.

Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 19:58   #26
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Quote:
Have to say that this is the most sensible thing that I've seen written about this!

Yep, spot on for me too.

Currently 77 unsolved murders in Scotland. Police should not be investigating "offensive" tweets. It takes two to be offended, one to give offence and one to take it. If you don't like what she's said, ignore her or have a pop back. Calling in the police is ridiculous, and a sad indictment of how over-sensitive and precious our society is becoming.
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 20:18   #27
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Katie is very good at getting attention, in fact that she seems to have become a semi professional attention seeker innit.. lol ..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 21:36   #28
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:

perhaps we could give 'the offended' a crime number and be done with it

You know the same as you are burgled or have your car trashed.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 09:12   #29
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Old 2nd January 2015, 12:12   #30
Spike
Posted a thing or two

Spike, Burt & Daisy

As a Sou'westener myself, born and bred, I think we'd be happy to be called 'sweaty' because we actually work for a living; unlike this vile attention-seeker. She could've made the whole thing much funnier with a little more wit and warmth but the fact she chose not to just shows how utterly charmless she is.