Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd September 2013, 20:51   #21
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
There may however be a case for lowering the OAT anti-freeze concentration from 50/50 to 35/65 or - - - -
There are several (probably misunderstood) reasons behind this. The primary one is the historical fallout from the infamous class action against General Motors and their OAT antifreeze 'DexCool'. Associated concerns relate to the 'dissolving' of rubber gaskets used in the 75/ZT range of engines as well as the apparent attack of silicone hoses and the like.

The scientific reason behind this is well understood and is invariably associated with poorly managed and badly maintained cooling systems. When coolant is lost, and what's left is allowed to repeatedly overheat, over time, the OAT reacts chemically with ethylene glycol to produce plasticiser-like byproducts. Under adverse conditions, these products will soften polymers like synthetic rubber and silicones. The evidence produced during the DexCool investigations demonstrate it. So, if you don't want to adopt a good maintenance plan, don't use OAT. With proper servicing and maintenance routines, red OAT/Glycol and the upcoming purple OAT/Glycerine formulas are fine. Most car producers now specify OAT of one type or another at 50% concentration. They wouldn't do so if it wrecked engines. As a chemist, I'm not convinced that reducing the OAT concentration has a significant effect on the process described under the conditions described. Even in plain tap water the OAT actives will degrade under the conditions described above.

My 1.8T has always had 50% OAT and at the moment contains DexCool from the local Vauxhall depot.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 3rd September 2013 at 20:57..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2013, 20:58   #22
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Double post.

Last edited by T-Cut; 5th September 2013 at 16:17..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 15:05   #23
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Thanks T-Cut once again, a 10 year old car with mostly original hoses is a point of concern and tales of OAT damage don't help the situation. But you can't change everything under routine or preventative maintenance as not practical proposition,.

When I posed this question (HOSES) posts came back telling of parts over 20 years old still being serviceable with blue AF mix, knowing or being aware that sticking to /or exceeding coolant change schedule should help in this respect does give a certain peace of mind to the problem.

When you think about it, even 10/13 years is a long time and am sure there are lots of 75/ZTs like mine still running OEM hoses, and apart from a visual inspection, I haven't found anybody changing them as routine practice.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 11:38   #24
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The black and the cream PRT as originally manufactured were not designed for the K-Series, the grey PRT is but it wasn't available until 2005. Although the grey PRT entered service just after Rover's demise Rover oversaw its design and development, use of both a lower stat and spring rating won't have been taken lightly.

I believe that cold fuelling is switched off completely around 70c so it won't be affected by the lower stat rating.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 17:41   #25
ashbash2403
Loves to post

MG ZT 1.8T 160 Xpower Grey

I have a new grey 82 deg prt to fit after reading numerous discussions on them. Had to change my t piece to prt hose anyway due to small split so good time to add another cooling system strengthener