Notices

Old 19th March 2013, 14:38   #21
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurorover View Post
She is a typical woman does not know when to stop nagging and keeping on about the same thing (dog with bone syndrome)
I hope for your sake, that Mrs Eurorover doesn't log into this site!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 17:12   #22
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

We have spilt blood over that island and thats more than enough reason to hold on to it (even though I have concerns over the oil drilling)

The Argentineans had a go and failed due to true British hard grit, so whats the pope gonna do?
The only thing I can imagine is 'his holiness' comming into Port Stanley like this........

(now Bishop Brennon on the other hand IS a scary man)
Old 20th March 2013, 17:31   #23
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmoobs View Post

So really she is just another galtieri with a handbag
I'll never forget Galtieri inspecting his air force.... in a glass bottom boat.

VVC-Geeza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 17:52   #24
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Aha! now I understand................................--->>

Oil Grab in Falkland Islands Seen Tripling U.K. Reserves: Energy

By Brian Swint - Jan 19, 2012 5:04 PM GMT
Thirty years after Margaret Thatcher fought a 74-day war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands, the prospect of an oil boom is reviving tensions.
Oil explorers are targeting 8.3 billion barrels in the waters around the islands this year, three times the U.K.’s reserves. Borders & Southern Petroleum Plc (BOR) will drill the Stebbing prospect next month, one of three Falkland wells that Morgan Stanley ranks among the world’s top 15 offshore prospects this year. Meanwhile, Rockhopper Exploration Plc (RKH) is seeking $2 billion from a larger oil company to develop the Sea Lion field, the islands’ first economically viable oil find.

Enlarge image Oil Grab in Falkland Islands Seen Tripling U.K. Reserves

Daniel Garcia/AFP/Getty Images

A house on Thatcher Drive, facing Stanley Bay, Falklands.

A house on Thatcher Drive, facing Stanley Bay, Falklands. Photographer: Daniel Garcia/AFP/Getty Images

2:32

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Thirty years after Margaret Thatcher fought a 74-day war with Argentina over the Falkland Islands, the prospect of an oil boom is reviving tensions. Brian Swint reports on Bloomberg Television's "Countdown" with Linzie Janis. (Source: Bloomberg)

Enlarge image Oil Grab in Falkland Islands Seen Tripling U.K. Reserves

Michael Luongo/Bloomberg

The dock area is seen in Stanley, the Falkland Islands.

The dock area is seen in Stanley, the Falkland Islands. Photographer: Michael Luongo/Bloomberg

Enlarge image U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron

Jock Fistick/Bloomberg

Thatcher’s successor David Cameron yesterday accused Argentina of a “colonialist” attitude that didn’t account for islanders’ rights.

Thatcher’s successor David Cameron yesterday accused Argentina of a “colonialist” attitude that didn’t account for islanders’ rights. Photographer: Jock Fistick/Bloomberg

“The area is underexplored and highly prospective,” said New York-based Morgan Stanley analyst Evan Calio. “These could be like the high-impact wells in Ghana and Brazil a few years ago that opened up a whole host of basins.”
A major drilling success will further raise the political temperature as Argentina maintains its claim over the U.K’s South Atlantic territory, 300 miles (483 kilometers) from the Latin American coast. President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner said Britain is taking her country’s resources, while Thatcher’s successor David Cameron yesterday accused Argentina of a “colonialist” attitude that didn’t account for islanders’ rights.
Cameron has approved contingency plans to bolster U.K. troops on the islands, and Prince William, a search and rescue pilot and the second in line to the British throne, may spend six weeks there this year, the Times reported today in London.
Not Negotiable
“We want to have a full and productive relationship with Argentina,” said Foreign Office spokeswoman Sophie Benger in an e-mailed response to questions. “Whilst the sovereignty of the Falklands is not up for negotiation, there is still much we can do together.”
The world’s largest oil companies like Exxon Mobil Corp. and Royal Dutch Shell Plc face a dilemma: whether the potential of a virgin basin outweighs the risk of a worsening international dispute. While producers with interests in Argentina, such as BP Plc, may be put off, others will want to participate, said Tim Bushell, chief executive officer of Falkland Oil & Gas Ltd. (FOGL), who’s looking for drilling partners.
“Big oil companies are used to dealing with political risks, and bigger ones than some saber rattling by Argentina,” Bushell said in a telephone interview, declining to name the companies he’s talking to. “For every BP, there are other major companies that don’t have an interest in Argentina.”
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 18:10   #25
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Ah so..........
Oh George I can't stay mad with you
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 19:00   #26
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I wonder what the problem is. Does nobody take any account of strategic thought any more? It's a good job for the rest of us that the pundits have no influence!

How far back in the mists of time must we look for a stand-up argument to bolster a case? Because someone else would then only turn one page further back to find another! It's so easy to denigrate international claims to territory when one never has to assume responsibilty for outcomes or ever get involved in the mucky business of government.

To bring into question the red herring of oil prospects is more than opportunist, they weren't known about when these islands were fought over so that argument is invalid. Should Britain surrender North Sea assets to Denmark/Norway/Sweden? Or the Shale Gas deposits to Normandy? Those that would give it all away are looking through the wrong end of the telescope.
Old 20th March 2013, 21:07   #27
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I wonder what the problem is. Does nobody take any account of strategic thought any more? It's a good job for the rest of us that the pundits have no influence!

How far back in the mists of time must we look for a stand-up argument to bolster a case? Because someone else would then only turn one page further back to find another! It's so easy to denigrate international claims to territory when one never has to assume responsibilty for outcomes or ever get involved in the mucky business of government.

To bring into question the red herring of oil prospects is more than opportunist, they weren't known about when these islands were fought over so that argument is invalid. Should Britain surrender North Sea assets to Denmark/Norway/Sweden? Or the Shale Gas deposits to Normandy? Those that would give it all away are looking through the wrong end of the telescope.
I couldn't agree more, when we went to war to retake the islands it was about the islanders and regaining British pride and showing the world we are a force to be reckoned with. The oil and gas reserves is a recent discovery and played no part in the retaking of the islands. The funny thing is she has tried the UN route and got nowhere fast, it seems she is unable comprehend the fact that we claimed the islands long before Argentina existed as a nation.
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 22:30   #28
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmoobs View Post
I couldn't agree more, when we went to war to retake the islands it was about the islanders and regaining British pride and showing the world we are a force to be reckoned with. The oil and gas reserves is a recent discovery and played no part in the retaking of the islands. The funny thing is she has tried the UN route and got nowhere fast, it seems she is unable comprehend the fact that we claimed the islands long before Argentina existed as a nation.

Not that I disagree, but how would we be playing it perhaps, Argentina had a claim over the Isle of Wight?

What I mean is, lets pretend the Isle of Wight is Argentinas Falklands? Would we be so accepting? Seeing as it is in British Waters etc?

Sometimes taking a step out of the Box is more enlightening. After all, the previous Falkalnds conflict was, as we all agree, before the discovery of Oil etc etc. So Argentina wanted the Islands before then, so why is it supposedly different now? Or are we being Hypocritical, after all, Both sides know what is there..........

Just because we laid claim there 'first' is irrelevant, otherwise we could lay claim to half of the US, after all, we settled there first, that is, after killing / enslaving / Depraving / Raping / Bribing all the indigenous population

Sometimes, I find we have a very one sided view of things. If it isn't our way, then have some Bullets on our behalf, hell we will even let you kill some of our young soldiers, just to prove a point.....

Just saying........
Old 20th March 2013, 22:43   #29
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Somebody should warn her that we still have an airworthy Vulcan

How much for fuel to Buenos Aires do ya reckon...?
Old 20th March 2013, 22:49   #30
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Somebody should warn her that we still have an airworthy Vulcan

How much for fuel to Buenos Aires do ya reckon...?
It might be Airworthy, but is it still insured

(Right now hoping that I got my facts right as iirc one of the Issues flying teh Vulcan was due to teh Insurance hike after 9/11 for Aircraft?)