Notices

Old 5th June 2016, 05:51   #21
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Alan for the above. I had a good read yesterday of all of the links. I used the Canon Hack method you referred to and amazingly it worked!!!

Everything is back to normal. You saved me spending out on repairs.

Thank you for going the extra mile in sourcing the research and links
That's a great result Phil and well done Alan for pointing Phil towards the solution
Old 5th June 2016, 12:33   #22
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Alan for the above. I had a good read yesterday of all of the links. I used the Canon Hack method you referred to and amazingly it worked!!!

Everything is back to normal. You saved me spending out on repairs.

Thank you for going the extra mile in sourcing the research and links
I am pleased it worked Just remember though, changing to a different card without CHDK, the camera will revert back to its previous state.

The fact that it works now, with it installed, makes it sound like if you can find the firmware for it, the camera may work normally again. I suspect that as it was falling, it has switched on and then off abruptly corrupting the firmware.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 06:35   #23
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am pleased it worked Just remember though, changing to a different card without CHDK, the camera will revert back to its previous state.

The fact that it works now, with it installed, makes it sound like if you can find the firmware for it, the camera may work normally again. I suspect that as it was falling, it has switched on and then off abruptly corrupting the firmware.
Good morning Alan, thanks for your insights and help. I put a new card in, formatted and everything is back to normal On another matter, I would have liked RAW and superfine jpeg functionality on the Canon 40HS, but could not chance downloading the other versions of CHDK as they had reports of bugs and instability. The 40HS shoots only in normal jpeg.

There doesn't seem to be a way round this in the 40HS menus, as there is no set up for altering the file type and I wondered is it possible to emulate superfine jpeg using the P or M settings. For what ever reason, Canon threw out superfine jpg from the power shots in 2009. I have it on the Nikon D5000 along with RAW, so all is not lost, if you feel that superfine jpg is not possible to emulate. Not to worry Alan. I am happy the camera is back to its old self

Apologies for diverting from filters.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 10:32   #24
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Good morning Alan, thanks for your insights and help. I put a new card in, formatted and everything is back to normal On another matter, I would have liked RAW and superfine jpeg functionality on the Canon 40HS, but could not chance downloading the other versions of CHDK as they had reports of bugs and instability. The 40HS shoots only in normal jpeg.

There doesn't seem to be a way round this in the 40HS menus, as there is no set up for altering the file type and I wondered is it possible to emulate superfine jpeg using the P or M settings. For what ever reason, Canon threw out superfine jpg from the power shots in 2009. I have it on the Nikon D5000 along with RAW, so all is not lost, if you feel that superfine jpg is not possible to emulate. Not to worry Alan. I am happy the camera is back to its old self

No apologies needed Phil,

It's good to see you getting a result and Alan has a wealth of experience to offer.

To be honest, I get better advice from the likes of Alan and Paul than I do off the actual camera forums
Old 6th June 2016, 12:14   #25
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:

It's been a while since I looked at the power shot ranges, however the super fine option is little more than less compression and a tweak to sharpening. With memory cards being getting larger, lenses better and resolutions higher, the full sized setting will am the equivalent. A tweak in Photoshop to the sharpening will give the same result.

As far as raw files are, did the chdk not have that setting? I must admit I only glance through the features, but raw was one of the reasons it was created in the first place. I tried it on an old ixus I had but was more trouble than it was worth.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 13:27   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It's been a while since I looked at the power shot ranges, however the super fine option is little more than less compression and a tweak to sharpening. With memory cards being getting larger, lenses better and resolutions higher, the full sized setting will am the equivalent. A tweak in Photoshop to the sharpening will give the same result.

As far as raw files are, did the chdk not have that setting? I must admit I only glance through the features, but raw was one of the reasons it was created in the first place. I tried it on an old ixus I had but was more trouble than it was worth.
Thanks Alan, I will stick with photoshop for the tweaking, as you have suggested. I had a problem with CHDK on the MacBook Pro, a message kept popping up saying that CHDK was not Apple approved and if I went ahead with it then I had to accept the risks. So I ignored the warning and went ahead with the download. I then loaded the disc onto the 40 HS, clicked on review/play as per instructions. On removing the disc, I put it back onto the Mac as I wanted to see the different files, but another message popped saying permission had been refused, so I abandoned taking it any further.

Having seen examples of superfine jpg on the net, I thought it would be nice to use it to pick up the hairline details in animal and bird photos

Oh well, I can see that I will have to get more aquainted with Photo shop.

Thank you for your support
Old 6th June 2016, 13:35   #27
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
No apologies needed Phil,

It's good to see you getting a result and Alan has a wealth of experience to offer.

To be honest, I get better advice from the likes of Alan and Paul than I do off the actual camera forums
Yes Jeff, I concur. We are indeed very fortunate to have the advice and insights from Alan and Paul. There are other pro photographers, who for what ever reason do not join in any of the photography threads and I hope they will change their minds and contribute. I know they are out there
Old 13th June 2016, 10:06   #28
coolcat
This is my second home

I have managed to pick up a brand new 77mm ND8 filter from Kood for £15.00.

I will let you know how I get on with it, I know it's not quite an ND10 but it was cheap enough and of reasonable quality to give it a punt.

I can always stack it with my ND4 I've already got if I need to slow the shutter down further
Old 13th June 2016, 10:11   #29
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Sounds like a bargain and a good way to try things out. What you learn from using it will guide you as to if you need something else (or not). I look forward to some milky/glassy water shots.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:24   #30
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Sounds like a bargain and a good way to try things out. What you learn from using it will guide you as to if you need something else (or not). I look forward to some milky/glassy water shots.
Cheers Paul,

Just need to find some time to play now