Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th November 2014, 10:58   #21
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

And I'd not even noticed that the cameras had been switched off in the first place!
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 11:34   #22
spm

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post

In the same article, it suggests that Speed Awareness courses may save you points on your license, but your insurance premium is more than likely to rise, despite the assumption it wouldn't. Insurance companies still count being caught speeding as an added risk factor, despite the 'law' waiving the points.

Apparently, insurance premiums,as a whole, are also on the rise again, after a two year lull.

Roverite.
Insurance companies have no mechanism, or indeed right, to demand you disclose attending a speed awareness course.
spm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 13:42   #23
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm View Post
Insurance companies have no mechanism, or indeed right, to demand you disclose attending a speed awareness course.
They write it into the terms and conditions that if you fail to disclose it then you policy is invalid and they will not pay out, although how they would find out I do not know.
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:34   #24
spm

ZT-T

Not seen that says that as yet - and tbh not sure how lawful that is. Having been on one...they are very aware that insurance companies are 'demanding' to know. Unless it's a conviction by a court or a medical concern what business is it of theirs? if you get a 'ticking off' do you report that as well?
spm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:41   #25
nomzamo999
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Cornish cameras have never been switched off.
They have fewer cameras than housings, so rotate them, but they do work.
My driving licence is evidence enough of this
nomzamo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:45   #26
nomzamo999
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
On my speed awareness course earlier this year, they said that you don't have to declare your attendance to an insurance company unless they specifically ask.
Lying to them is fraud: simples.
nomzamo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 20:59   #27
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

Quote:
Not seen that says that as yet - and tbh not sure how lawful that is. Having been on one...they are very aware that insurance companies are 'demanding' to know. Unless it's a conviction by a court or a medical concern what business is it of theirs? if you get a 'ticking off' do you report that as well?
They can ask whatever they want to ask - asking if you've done a course is no different to asking if you smoke/have children under a certain age/are self-employed etc etc......its how they rate you as a 'risk' to them. If you've done a course, you've been caught speeding, that's why insurers think its 'their business'.

However, as previously stated, there's no way currently for insurers to find out, other than from you telling them, that you've done one. With insurance though, as annoying as it is when they ask for an extra few quid, (just because they can!) I wouldn't risk anything that would offer me up as being potentially 'uninsured'.

Pete
Old 6th November 2014, 08:29   #28
Roverite
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I agree with your assumptions on speeding with the proviso that i for one will be happy if they bring back the camera's to work again.We have had a 20 MPH speed limit on our estate for the last 6/8 months and still get the clever people,mostly women, who are taking their offspring to the school in our road, speeding down the road.They would be the first to complain if a child got knocked down. But of course it will never happen. Hospitals are full of people it will never happen to.
About 15 years ago, when these lower 20 MPH speed limits were being introduced, I was living in Cornwall. A housing estate complained that people were exceeding the new 20 MPH limit, but the Police response was that it was unenforceable and it should be self enforcing by the use of additional features, such as speed bumps and chicanes. A few years later I asked the Police (at a public meeting and in a different region), what their attitude was; they replied that they would enforce it, but the body language and the way the reply was delivered, led me to believe that no enforcement would happen.

In fairness, I think some of these limits are put in place more in hope and as a sop to the local communities, than anything else; the usual location is a series of short streets which cannot be effectively 'policed' 24 hours a day, at least, not until we get back old fashioned policing.

Roverite.
Roverite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014, 11:20   #29
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverite View Post
About 15 years ago, when these lower 20 MPH speed limits were being introduced, I was living in Cornwall. A housing estate complained that people were exceeding the new 20 MPH limit, but the Police response was that it was unenforceable and it should be self enforcing by the use of additional features, such as speed bumps and chicanes. A few years later I asked the Police (at a public meeting and in a different region), what their attitude was; they replied that they would enforce it, but the body language and the way the reply was delivered, led me to believe that no enforcement would happen.

In fairness, I think some of these limits are put in place more in hope and as a sop to the local communities, than anything else; the usual location is a series of short streets which cannot be effectively 'policed' 24 hours a day, at least, not until we get back old fashioned policing.

Roverite.
With regards to the speeding element in 20mph area's, it is the police department's duty to apply the law. If you get an answer contrary to that, then i would be getting in touch with the Chief Constable for his explanation of why it is not being policed. Police can not choose which laws they can apply, and which they do not, but it is a case of "priority", not refusing to apply the law.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:59   #30
Alan_G
Posted a thing or two

MG3

They were unenforceable when first introduced as they were 'reccomended speeds" and were green signs. The minimum speed limit on roads was still 30mph. It was later on that it became a legally enforceable limit with the proper red signs.
Alan_G is offline   Reply With Quote