Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2011, 17:41   #21
Sonus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

There's no warning lights on, but there is a slight tapping noise from the engine.
Sonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 17:42   #22
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

[QUOTE=James.uk;797538]Mark, not so, the pressure would dissipate quickly after the engine stopped.. By the time the engine cooled off there would be none..

Hi, i was on the look out for a MG ZR last year for the wife, i went to see one 1st thing in the morning, its was stone cold and then i unscrewed the coolant bottle it was still under a lot of pressure. The owner said he had not driven it for 4 days!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 20:43   #23
mark d3
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon,cdt 170 bhp(ish)

[QUOTE=Simon.h;800647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
Mark, not so, the pressure would dissipate quickly after the engine stopped.. By the time the engine cooled off there would be none..

Hi, i was on the look out for a MG ZR last year for the wife, i went to see one 1st thing in the morning, its was stone cold and then i unscrewed the coolant bottle it was still under a lot of pressure. The owner said he had not driven it for 4 days!
classic HGF

one event everyone should experience http://www.wolverhamptonnanomeets.com/
mark d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 09:36   #24
Sonus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Just spoken to both MGOC and X-part and the head will have to come off again

So I've sent an e-mail to the authorized garage that did the HG-replacement 16months ago demanding they rectify it

I will report back as soon as something happens.
Old 13th September 2011, 07:17   #25
Sonus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Not heard anything from the garage. I didn't expect to either to be honest

So I've started the long journey of claiming they redo the work. It involves quite some paperwork. Luckily for me consumer laws are very pro consumers here in Norway giving me the right to claim up until 2 years after the repair has been done (it's now gone 16months since the repair).

I will send a recorded letter claiming if they do not respond within this week to me e-mail sent last friday.

I've discussed the problems with my father, who has owned MGs since the 60s amongst them an MGF, and we are almost certain that its a valve stem seal that's gone. The car leaks oil into the cylinder when not running and when idling has a tappeting noise from the valve train indicating that the hydralic cam followers aren't functioning properly since the oil pressure behind them most likely is disappearing into the valve stem and combustion chamber.

The garage used partnumber LDF109380 as a head replacement and Colin at Caterpillar warranty (Xpart) has confirmed that this is a head including valves. Since the valve stem seals sits inside the spring it must be a part of the part number.

Update to follow
Old 13th September 2011, 07:47   #26
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

This is not making sense!
The valve stem seal has only got to do with the oil sloshing around in the valve area, and is there to make sure no too much is sucked into the combustion process. Any oil that goes that way has already come from the hydraulic lifters, and is not under pressure.

It thus has nothing to do, whatsoever, with the noisy tappets.
You might well have a faulty lifter, but the two issues are not related.

What's more, a valve stem seal can be replaced without taking the head off. It sits on top of the valve stem, under the spring.

So if this is all there is wrong, not need to take the head off.

Hope that is good news?
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 08:27   #27
Sonus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Hmmm, I might be wrong, but doesn't the hydraulic camfollower that sits on top of the valve have a positive oil pressure underneath it to make it follow the cam lobe?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001679

Valve stem seal being item number 11

And if so wouldn't a leak down the valve seal make it difficult to create enough pressure to let the cam follower work?

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Sonus; 13th September 2011 at 08:29.. Reason: Used wrong pic
Old 13th September 2011, 08:46   #28
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

As Kaiser mentioned a faulty lifter is a separate issue. Even if it is leaking oil the stem seal should prevent that and any other oil that is lubricating the top end from entering the combustion chamber.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 08:47   #29
92 squadron
Drink 92 SQUADRON BEER

Jaguar X Type 2.2 SE Diesel estate Mem No789

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
This is not making sense!
The valve stem seal has only got to do with the oil sloshing around in the valve area, and is there to make sure no too much is sucked into the combustion process. Any oil that goes that way has already come from the hydraulic lifters, and is not under pressure.

It thus has nothing to do, whatsoever, with the noisy tappets.
You might well have a faulty lifter, but the two issues are not related.

What's more, a valve stem seal can be replaced without taking the head off. It sits on top of the valve stem, under the spring.

So if this is all there is wrong, not need to take the head off.

Hope that is good news?
Sorry to correct you but the head will have to come off to replace the valve seal as you have to remove the spring to get to it. Now I stand corrected if someone has invented a way of doing it otherwise
92 squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 09:42   #30
Sonus
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 squadron View Post
Sorry to correct you but the head will have to come off to replace the valve seal as you have to remove the spring to get to it. Now I stand corrected if someone has invented a way of doing it otherwise
MGOC suggested rotating cylinder number 4 to TDC and then filling the combustion chamber with a rope through the spark plug hole. That way the valve won't drop when you remove the collett and spring. If it works i've got no idea