Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st October 2015, 15:57   #21
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Its a shame you don't get it.

These cars are near worthless! If you can't do your own maintenance your throwing good money after bad.

Unless you have a low mileage one owner car the chances are your car will never be worth anything again. If your paying £500 to have all your belts done or a couple of hundred for a new clutch or gearbox its time to get something newer unless you can do it yourself.

I'm the future,the DIY man. I don't know much about the new fangled electrics but I want to be in control of them myself.

I know for those who can do nothing its frightening watching me rock the boat but your hurting me and the rest of us who "can do", the pricing is vastly wrong.
I'm having to source parts from BMW,Landrover,and MG because the same Rover parts are more expensive.
Hello Shawn,
i also love to do things as economically as possible when i can, but for me the ownership is about enjoying the car and haveing it so that it is as reliable as it can be given its age. If that means spending what to most is a perfectly reasonalble sum with a know method and a trusted source then thats fine.
I would far rather spend 40 quid on a coded key with all the security, rolling codes and alike and know that every time i push the button and turn the key it will work then that is exactly where i want to be.
I do not and never will see the car as uneconomical as i love it, there may come a day when it is structuraly unsafe or ther are jus no parts left if something big goes bang, but until then i will never regard it as a disposable cheap comoddity... that my friend is where i think the nap of the other members may be rubbed the wrong way by just trying to do things as cheap as possible and to hell with possible quality issues later....
We are here for the long run, not the cheap and quick one...

Thanks for the effort you put in to looking at these things and my interest is tweaked by some of the things you have suggested, but i do love to have the knowledge of years of experiance behind the car....
Old 1st October 2015, 15:59   #22
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Not seen anything on that other than the button pressing sequence that I posted the other day for a BMW.

As to the minions wondering what would happen if I met Brian?
Nothing would happen!
I'm a pensioner with a life threatening condition.

Its always the same ones on here though.Thousands of members and only a few with a voice.This is why your all getting spanked on prices.
Oh and I will see you next Tuesday!
But don't tell anyone else they will be jealous.
All the traders that I've had dealings with on this forum have been excellent, not just in knowledge but being great blokes as well. I recommended coming to the national, not so you and Brian could roll around on the floor like a couple of teenagers but so you could actually speak to the man. Instead of just deciding that all the prices are wrong why not speak to the men who know and then you'll find out why the prices are what they are. I do 95% of my own work on our car so believe me when I say that I'm not in a position to be spanked by any trader
Old 1st October 2015, 16:01   #23
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Why does the op keep getting shot down for asking valid questions and posting info that he believes that may be of use... am I missing something?
Old 1st October 2015, 16:09   #24
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:

These cars are near worthless! If you can't do your own maintenance your throwing good money after bad.

Unless you have a low mileage one owner car the chances are your car will never be worth anything again. If your paying £500 to have all your belts done or a couple of hundred for a new clutch or gearbox its time to get something newer unless you can do it yourself.

I'm the future,the DIY man. I don't know much about the new fangled electrics but I want to be in control of them myself.

I know for those who can do nothing its frightening watching me rock the boat but your hurting me and the rest of us who "can do", the pricing is vastly wrong.
I'm having to source parts from BMW,Landrover,and MG because the same Rover parts are more expensive.

Shawn, it doesn't matter how much a car is worth, if you like it then you will maintain it and get huge pleasure from driving it.

I have been driving cars which are at the bottom of their depreciation cycle for around 30 years now, and the only time any of my fleet see the inside of a garage is at MOT time.

I bought my TestBook, after paying a mobile Land Rover tech to diagnose a fault which had me pulling my hair out on my wife's Freelander.

After ten minutes he had the answer that had alluded me for the preceding three weeks.

It was at this point I thought I must have one of those gadgets, absolute magic

So that is what I did, I went hunting bought a broken TestBook, repaired it, drove to Devon to purchase a part made from unobtanium, then spent a couple of years teaching myself to use it.

Fast forward to 2006, I bought the entire workshop contents from a defunct Rover dealership, £7500 is what I paid for my T4, and the pleasure it brings me being able to resurrect cars from the dead is immense.

I enjoy playing with the electronics in these cars more than actually driving them, so that is what I do

You are not rocking the boat by the way, however you are keeping me amused if nothing else

Brian

"Remember, there are no pockets in shrouds"
Old 1st October 2015, 16:11   #25
Shawn
Banned

Connoisseur SE MK2 diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Why does the op keep getting shot down for asking valid questions and posting info that he believes that may be of use... am I missing something?
I had the effrontery to ask where I could get a mate a cheap ECU map because his car wasn't worth spending any money on but he wanted to enjoy it more in the time that he had it.
Everyone thought I was asking for myself until it came out I was telling the truth and Trikey verified that I already had a mapped ECU.
So now I'm putting my thick Rhino skin to good use.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:19   #26
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Have a look HERE Kieran, then ask why I find Shawn a little perplexing at times

Brian
Old 1st October 2015, 16:19   #27
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:

I dont think you "Get It"

Your ideas of £40 gadgets from Ebay will never work...... So I will bring my car to you, and you will do your guess work on it for free then when it dies it costs me hundreds to put it right..

Thats what I call "Throwing good money to bad"

I'm off to mow the lawn now, do you have any ideas on how to make the blade go faster so I can cut it quicker
Old 1st October 2015, 16:20   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
I had the effrontery to ask where I could get a mate a cheap ECU map because his car wasn't worth spending any money on but he wanted to enjoy it more in the time that he had it.
Everyone thought I was asking for myself until it came out I was telling the truth and Trikey verified that I already had a mapped ECU.
So now I'm putting my thick Rhino skin to good use.
And are you positive it's just thick skin, or does that apply in general

Brian
Old 1st October 2015, 16:24   #29
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
These cars are near worthless!
I don't think my car is worthless at all, my car to ME is worth at least £2500 that is from the use I get from itm not market value (which I don't give a * about). It seems to me that you are purposely pushing the T4 guys on this here forum and I think you should take a step back as this ain't cool. Yes I've watched you Shawn on other posts and they are not friendly at all! back off. If your not doing this on purpose fair enough, for the experimental knowledge of it all, but it doesn't seem like that...too me anyway...

I guess it was a good question, but free keys, you would be losing money on per key at least a pretty penny and that seems fishy to me!
Old 1st October 2015, 16:30   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I dont think you "Get It"

Your ideas of £40 gadgets from Ebay will never work...... So I will bring my car to you, and you will do your guess work on it for free then when it dies it costs me hundreds to put it right..

Thats what I call "Throwing good money to bad"

I'm off to mow the lawn now, do you have any ideas on how to make the blade go faster so I can cut it quicker
Here you go Ray, directly from Frabtel, the lawnmower tuning tool every aspiring Percy Thrower needs......

LINK

Brian
Closed Thread