Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2010, 19:33   #21
teamninja
Regular poster

rover 75

Hello all, i been watching a thread on the forum about a double din dvd/sat nav and people are waiting till after the chinese holidays and what updates they will do and not do, anyway i don't know what to do but reading this thread can i ask a few questions on this XTRONS TD716G model please, BST is the seller same as members on here, does it fit into the dash without getting the dremmel out? does the sat nav work out of the box or do you have to connect a sat nav to it, it says sat nav compatible? is the bluetooth sound quality ok? sorry if i sound like a div, but i got no knowledge of stereo's or should i pay a bit more on another one if this is missing a few functions
thanks
Adrian
teamninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:30   #22
grahamts
Regular poster

MG ZT Tourer

You could try a 4.7mF capacitor across the permanent feed and earth, this will charge up and hopefully hold the voltage across them whilst the battery voltage drops. A blocking diode in series with the feed before the capacitor would help as well, stopping the voltage being knocked down whilst the engine cranks.

The diode would allow current through to the radio and charge the capacitor but stop the capacitor being discharged when the battery voltage drops.

Graham
grahamts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 19:07   #23
75ConSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE '02 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamts View Post
You could try a 4.7mF capacitor across the permanent feed and earth, this will charge up and hopefully hold the voltage across them whilst the battery voltage drops. A blocking diode in series with the feed before the capacitor would help as well, stopping the voltage being knocked down whilst the engine cranks.

The diode would allow current through to the radio and charge the capacitor but stop the capacitor being discharged when the battery voltage drops.
Graham, thanks very much for that suggestion. I have been living with the problem ever since I first posted.... I can't be bothered with the hassle of returning it for repair, and come summer, the problem will have 'gone away'!! as I have only a basic knowledge of electrics, could you possibly expand a little and maybe do a simple wiring diagram along with more info on what a 'blocking diode' is please? Are they items that I can walk into Maplins and buy? How did you come up with a specific 4.7mF capacitor as a matter of interest?

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE
'02 Auto Saloon.
Bright and Shiny Zircon Silver. Chrome is where the heart is!
75ConSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:05   #24
grahamts
Regular poster

MG ZT Tourer

Hi Paul, yes you can get these bits from Maplins, shouldn't cost more than a £1.00. I suggested 4.7uF as it is probably one of the most common values and is used for decoupling, blocking and various other applications that need to store a reasonable amount of current in a small package.

A higher value might be better at stabilising the voltage and supplying the current needed to hold your data in your radio. The cct works by the current going through the diode (bit like a one way valve) and storing it in the capacitor until it is fully charged. The capacitor is used as a resevoir for current to the i/p of the radio, so that when the voltage drops on the anode side of the diode, no current is allowed to flow back through the diode (hence blocking) and the capacitor slowly discharges into the radio and maintains the voltage and supplies the current needed to hold the settings :lol: Thats the theory anyway
You may need to experiment with capacitor values, but you should use components with a voltage rating higher than the max coming from the charging cct, i.e. over 14.6 volts.

You could actually connect it all up using a three section chocolate block, doesn't even need any soldering. Just cut the permanent feed before it goes into the radio,
Connect live end to block 1 along with diode anode,
Connect diode's cathode into block 2 along with positive leg of cap and feed to radio
Finally connect neg side of cap to block 3 along with an earth connection.

Hopefully it will solve your problem and as long as you don't do anything totally silly such as connectiong the earth to the battery you should not be able to damage your radio or the car wiring either, even if you connect the components up the wrong way round.

Possible faults:
Diode back to front, no current flow and no data store after switch on and off.
Capacitor back to front, possible small explosion from cap, annoying but not dangerous.
So take care with the component connections then no problem. Good luck and I hope it solves your problem.
Graham.

Last edited by grahamts; 6th February 2010 at 00:13..
Old 6th February 2010, 00:12   #25
grahamts
Regular poster

MG ZT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamninja View Post
Hello all, i been watching a thread on the forum about a double din dvd/sat nav and people are waiting till after the chinese holidays and what updates they will do and not do, anyway i don't know what to do but reading this thread can i ask a few questions on this XTRONS TD716G model please, BST is the seller same as members on here, does it fit into the dash without getting the dremmel out? does the sat nav work out of the box or do you have to connect a sat nav to it, it says sat nav compatible? is the bluetooth sound quality ok? sorry if i sound like a div, but i got no knowledge of stereo's or should i pay a bit more on another one if this is missing a few functions
thanks
Adrian
Adrian the XTron unit you are looking at is a standard 2 din unit which needs a very expensive BMW facia to fit in the dash neatly, I think they are £100 + .
The unit that people are waiting for to be updated with RDS etc is one expressly designed for the 75/ZT and no extras are needed to fit it.
Graham.
Old 6th February 2010, 01:02   #26
75ConSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE '02 Auto Saloon

Graham, thanks VERY much for that, much appreciated.... great explanation.

I will get to Maplins in a week or so and let you know the outcome.

Cheers.

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE
'02 Auto Saloon.
Bright and Shiny Zircon Silver. Chrome is where the heart is!
75ConSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 07:34   #27
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamninja View Post
thanks
Adrian
this is the unit i have, there are different versions one with satnav and one without, so just double check which one you are looking at, obviously the satnav version is more expensive.

I had mine from BST but there is an Xtrons website you can look at before you buy if you wish, if you get the satnav version it works out of the box as it comes with an SD card containing the satnav, i have IGO8 on mine which is superb.

My I pod screen doesnt display track information but maybe later versions do, its not a big problem though as if you record music to DVD and play it that way, track info will be displayed.

I have been pleased wth mine but the newer unit from China was not available then, the biggest drawback is fitting into the dash as you will need
the BMW double din facia which i paid £70 for, and has to be modified to fit via the screws at the back being in the wrong position, the facias are probably cheaper now.

A big plus with the chinese unit seems to be that it comes with the facia and fits straight in no messing

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2010, 21:14   #28
teamninja
Regular poster

rover 75

Thank you Trebor, would i be right by your comment that i should wait for the chinese model to be updated? the Xtron with the surround for the BmW prices are roughly the same as the chinese double din stereo, but everyone must hope that customs don't pick your parcel at random and get a tax bill. There is rds, bluetooth, sat nav and dvd on the Xtron i think that will be enough, i think?, not sure if the chinese model will do more and hope i can get some information on here. It's great to have a club to ask for some info there's always someone who's done a mod to their car and willing to help and share their knowledge.
teamninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 18:49   #29
freakstyle

Focus

I have the very same problem on my radio, even done the same thing on my sony unit that i took out.

Graham do you think that fitting those parts would cure the problem? i've had a look on the maplins website but not really sure what bits i'm looking for there is such a big choice of capacitors
freakstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:59   #30
grahamts
Regular poster

MG ZT Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakstyle View Post
I have the very same problem on my radio, even done the same thing on my sony unit that i took out.

Graham do you think that fitting those parts would cure the problem? i've had a look on the maplins website but not really sure what bits i'm looking for there is such a big choice of capacitors
If you are suffering memory loss caused by momentary voltage drop, then the mod above should help. However it won't help if the cranking goes on for too long, the cap will only hold the voltage up for a very short time. The larger value cap that you use the longer the voltage will be held to the higher value, (in practical terms, if you think of it as a battery with a very, very limited capacity then you get the general idea).
Looking at the range in Maplins, something like KQ68Y which is a 47uF - 35V electrolytic should do the job and for a diode the 1N5400 should be more than adequate.
I realise that I said 4.7uF originally, but 47 is 10 times bigger and bigger is definitely better in this case. They also do a 100uF which would be fine as well. If these don't, then just use a bigger value from another range.
It really depends what sort of voltage drop you are getting and for how long,
Graham.