Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th January 2015, 09:54   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Lee.
few more pics below which may help but you will note and see when you come to put the bearing back on that it slants and can only go on one way also, and yes feed top end in first when re-fitting you can the had the three bolts to hold the strut in place while you lift the disc hub to align up the strut arm/leg Arctic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15294.jpg (125.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15295.jpg (129.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15297.jpg (129.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15300.jpg (123.1 KB, 28 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015, 10:27   #22
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi,

You have a few details here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=429651
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 17:50   #23
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Just to say that I have finally finished fitting the new spring to my wife's CDTI Auto, had a big delay in the springs being delivered due to the weather. I have had a real struggle though what with firstly trying to re-fit the strut. I couldn't fit it in the bottom arm it wouldn't drop low enough even with the spring compressors still attached, firstly the threads were fouling the inner wheel arch so I had to remove them and cut the thread length down but even then I was about a half inch from fitting them in. I decided there was no option but to remove the lower ball joint, my god this is a complete nightmare on your own without the strut to support the drive shaft!!!. Anyway I started it yesterday afternoon as soon as the springs were delivered and after lying in the snow and getting completely soaked through to the bone I lost my voice from the cold and damp!!!, a bonus for the wife I suppose?!!. I left the ball joint soaking in duck oil all night to aid it's removal but almost pulled the drive shaft out trying to force down the lower arm while holding the hub assembly. Finally got everything back together at dinner time today and have one slight problem. The wife took it out for a drive and it drove lovely except it pulls to the right quite a bit, I haven't had a chance to drive it myself yet so don't know just how bad it is but I am assuming that the new nearside spring is causing this pulling and when the weather improves and I fit the offside it will go away, what does everyone think?. I would just like to thank all who have contributed to this thread with a special thanks to Arctic for his added pictures.
I have definitely put everything back correctly as it's pretty much an idiot proof job but I would like some extra input on the pulling issue more to put my wife's mind at ease more than mine. Thanks.
Regards DaDragon
dadragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 18:28   #24
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Lee.
Tomorrow if you have time and have not caught a bad cold through doing the work in the snow just double check the bolts nuts extra, it could be that the front wheels may need or needed to be aligned, and fitting a new spring as showed it up more, if you have a tyre place near pop it in and get the tracking checked have all corners checked not just the front, cost by me is £30 check is free.

Also check the tyre pressure and it's condition if need be swap back to front but also make sure that are balanced, just throwing some suggestions into the ring so to speak.

To late now but always best to undo the ball joint when changing the strut or removing for any reason, cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Old 31st January 2015, 18:44   #25
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadragon View Post
I decided there was no option but to remove the lower ball joint, my god this is a complete nightmare on your own ... but almost pulled the drive shaft out trying to force down the lower arm while holding the hub assembly.
That sounds familiar Lee! I had exactly the same experience with Mrs. SD1too's Citroën hatchback when it needed new shocks. Laser Tools sell some rather nice levers which I reckon I'll use the next time I have to push down on a lower suspension arm.

Simon
Old 31st January 2015, 20:27   #26
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
That sounds familiar Lee! I had exactly the same experience with Mrs. SD1too's Citroën hatchback when it needed new shocks. Laser Tools sell some rather nice levers which I reckon I'll use the next time I have to push down on a lower suspension arm.

Simon
Simon
I find it is best to undo the pinch bolt remove then using a piece of wood 2"x2" and tap the low arm out works a treat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15286.jpg (115.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15287.jpg (125.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15288.jpg (123.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15289.jpg (121.4 KB, 17 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Old 31st January 2015, 20:29   #27
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I leave a spring compressor on 3 coils and put the leg in short, fits ok, bolt up and take the compressor off..
Old 31st January 2015, 20:55   #28
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Jaguar 3 litre sport. (Lee) Rover 75 Connoisseur T4'd (Roger) Rover 75 Connoisseur SE (Gaynor)

Klarzy, that's what I tried but I couldn't compress enough, your compressors are obviously better than mine. Now I've done the job I will invest in some better units.
Regards DaDragon
Old 31st January 2015, 21:07   #29
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Arctic To late now but always best to undo the ball joint when changing the strut or removing for any reason, cheers Arctic.
I would have done this at the start but remember the spring broke and as the snow was falling it was quicker to remove the strut as it was short enough not to have removed the lower ball joint. Obviously when the strut is in place and held with the pinch bolt its easy to split the ball joint but really hard to do when no strut is there.!!. I did double check all nuts and bolts before letting the wife drive but I will check th tyres tomorrow for the correct pressures as It's been stood for nearly a week in the deep snow.
Regards DaDragon.
Old 1st February 2015, 12:00   #30
dadragon
Gets stuck in

Just took the wife's car out and it's fine, I knew I should have driven it myself instead of depending on the Mrs to check it. Ok it did pull very slightly to the left, not right as she said, the tyres were down 2 psi on one side and 4psi on the other (nearside that was). Tyres now equally inflated and it's fine. There was a slight groan from the nearside when turning the wheel which happened once but I expect that's the rubber at the top finding it's feet against the new spring. All's well that ends well!!
Regards DaDragon