Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th July 2010, 20:40   #21
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

The labour for replacing the water pump will be expensive as its a big job and the timing belt will need to come off. Don't want to sound negative in my posts but I doubt your going to get any repairs for free
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 20:48   #22
someboy0
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Honesty is far more important than sounding negative.

Any chance you know what sort of bill that would be? I don't mean exact ammount but a rough guide around 500? 800?
Old 9th July 2010, 20:49   #23
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Have you got an undertray fitted, and is it parked on a slope ?
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 20:53   #24
someboy0
Loves to post

no nothing fitted (I think you mean by that something under the car to capture any possible leaks - there isn't anything leaking any more cause it's all gone out) no the road is fairly even maybe slightly sloping to the right.

Last edited by someboy0; 9th July 2010 at 21:10..
someboy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 22:27   #25
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

When the fan stopped, the engine coolant boiled, this caused the rad cap valve to open and water/ steam would have been blasted in all directions..

Move the car to a dry place, lift the bonnet, fill the rad with water and look for the leak!!! It wont be hard to find!

Then come back and tell us roughly where abouts on the engine the water is coming from.. It may be as simple as a burst water hose..

You need to pin point the leak, or leaks. So we can give you more accurate advice. .
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 08:04   #26
someboy0
Loves to post

Thanks for your responce James, but I'm afraid that I can't really tell you where exactly the water is coming from, first the guys at the kwik fit after all the coolant went straight onto the floor in their garage, they have put some coolant in and it went streight on the floor after about 15 seconds, they lifted the car looked at where it is leaking from and told me it was from the water pump, we called a tow truck, got home and did the same with tap water which is what the wet area on the pictures I attached is to look again where it might be leaking from. Unfortuntely neither my Dad nor me know too well how the cooling system is built on this car ie. where the pipes are where do they connect etc. and without taking some stuff out from under the bonnet to clear the view a little we can't see anything really. But can the water pump leak really that badly I mean honestly, without exaggerating, after you put the water into the ratiator, roughly after about 15 seconds you get a showet un the driver's side of the engine it's quite heavy it's as if somebody just opened a tap and poured water down. So with my very limited knowledge I would've thought it's a hose pipe somewhere maybe disconnected which would explain the water comming out at such fast rate but than again I don't know how fast the leak would be if it was the water pump.

Thanks for the help James.
Old 10th July 2010, 08:38   #27
stinkinunrich
Regular poster

rover 75 2.5 conni

If you shine a light into the v of the engine with engine running see if there is coolant running out of stat, because if it is it runs out by the water pump and then grease monkeys just assume its the pump.
stinkinunrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 08:44   #28
someboy0
Loves to post

Does that mean that the guys at the kwik fit could be wrong about the water pump? I mean they only had a rough look at it.
Old 10th July 2010, 08:49   #29
someboy0
Loves to post

Also I forgot to add, the water pump was replaced last year about 13 months ago ( around 6k miles was done in this time ) and I know the garage used genuine rover parts or at least parts of good quality.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:04   #30
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

Did kwik fit have a look under the bonnet when the leak started as i'm sure if they did they would of noticed that if water was leaking from the expansion tank or thermostat they would of noticed?

If it was a blown hose then i'm sure you would of gone with a loud bang before the leak occured so if no bang then there isnt a blown hose.

I reckon when the new water pump was fitted it either had a faulty gasket which has decided to let go or the pump housing has cracked and thats why coolant loss is so quick
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote