Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd December 2006, 20:40   #21
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Well it is said knowledge is power and we can be wary.

But I am still a bit mystified as to the purpose of the lower bidders if they are not 'real'. As long as there are more serious bidders at the end of the auction the eventual end price is likely to be the same if the first bidders are there or not. If early bidders are shall we say 'not real' seems like an awful lot of work on somebodies part for not a lot of result.
Shilling up the price saves paying out to ebay for a reserve price. It means they can get the price up within spitting distance of what they want for the car and also gives the appearance of lots of interest in the car - psychologically peeps feel reassured by this but also the illusion that the car is a fantastic deal....
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:40   #22
palwing
Avid contributor

None

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3807 View Post
Well it is said knowledge is power and we can be wary.

But I am still a bit mystified as to the purpose of the lower bidders if they are not 'real'. As long as there are more serious bidders at the end of the auction the eventual end price is likely to be the same if the first bidders are there or not. If early bidders are shall we say 'not real' seems like an awful lot of work on somebodies part for not a lot of result.
I think the reason for the low bidders is to to get the auction off the ground as this is a No Reserve auction and starts at Zero pounds. By showing a healthy, no risk to themselves "interest", they generate interest for later in the auction.

I have just looked again and there have been 30 bids today and the price is where I said it would be,,around £3k. Now that there is a "healthy" looking bidding list, I predict for the bidding to quieten down for a while as per their usual bidding pattern.

Then it usually picks up again mid auction to give the price a little tweak in the right direction. After all, they don't want to risk it going really cheap and selling for less than they paid for it even though they have listed it as "No Reserve".

Near the end you will find it settles down into normal bidding, when they are reasonably confident of the price being reached that they are happy to sell the car at.

If it doesn't look like it is likely to reach that price, they either pull it and re-list or gamble by pushing it like they did recently with the "Zero" bidder. Unfortunately, they sometimes get caught out and have to re-list. Yet to see any vehicle go for a BARGAIN price.

Don't just take my word for it, watch all their auctions and see ...I have yet to see much change from this format for a while. Could always be wrong this time though.

I wish my share dealings were as predictable!

Last edited by palwing; 22nd December 2006 at 20:44..
palwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:45   #23
palwing
Avid contributor

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedeedooday View Post
Shilling up the price saves paying out to ebay for a reserve price. It means they can get the price up within spitting distance of what they want for the car and also gives the appearance of lots of interest in the car - psychologically peeps feel reassured by this but also the illusion that the car is a fantastic deal....
Damn...so better put than me! Yep... that's what I was trying to say.

Spot on Zebedeedooday!
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:47   #24
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by palwing View Post
Damn...so better put than me! Yep... that's what I was trying to say.

Spot on Zebedeedooday!

That is what a depraved childhood on ebay does for one!:lol:
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 21:51   #25
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedeedooday View Post
Fantastic deal ??? On E Bay ????:lol: :lol: :lol:
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 21:53   #26
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Doesn't look right to me the black on walnut, I'm sure it would grow on me. It would look stunning with the black oak?? in John's contemporary.
Old 23rd December 2006, 08:38   #27
palwing
Avid contributor

None

30 bids on day one! Let's see how many day 2 brings?

Past auctions have shown that it's usually less. Days 3 and 4 will bring another few followed by less on day 5 & 6, then I reckon day 7 will bring out the real people.

Next question of course is, how much is a good price for a ZT with this spec and 96,000 miles on the clock?

Luckily there is one in Autotrader at the moment with the same high spec, for £7895, from a garage to compare with.

So on that basis, (if this is a genuine AUCTION) with no warranty and off of e-bay + high mileage, this one should sell for less than £7895 to be worth while?? We shall see......

Last edited by palwing; 23rd December 2006 at 08:46..
Old 23rd December 2006, 18:11   #28
palwing
Avid contributor

None

Default Prediction progress?

Quote:
Let's see if I can predict this right? Been listed only 2 hours of a 7 day auction. There are 2 bids already but I reckon it will be bid up to around £2k - £3k pretty soon...bidding will die off then come back to "push" the price mid auction and then a flurry of bids pushing it again to a near normal market price at the end.
So..how are my predictions doing?

Day 1 - 30 bids, 1st one within 25 minutes of 7 day auction start! - bid price up to £3300

Day 2 - Zero bids - price still at £3300

Prediction for day 3 & 4? (mid auction) Pattern usually sees a few bids gently nudging the price nearer to their target price.

Let's wait and see huh?
Old 23rd December 2006, 21:00   #29
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Quote:
Prediction for day 3 & 4? (mid auction) Pattern usually sees a few bids gently nudging the price nearer to their target price.
I would predict nothing for the next few days Christmas and all.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2006, 08:13   #30
palwing
Avid contributor

None

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I would predict nothing for the next few days Christmas and all.
Just my point Tim, if these auctions had "genuine" bidding I would expect the same, especially at Christmas. However, past experience has shown this not to be so.

They are not going to let a little thing like Christmas get in the way of profit, else the car might not make it's "reserve" at this No Reserve auction. My guess is that it isn't there yet, so I reckon the bidding will follow my prediction.

There are already 2 more bids since my last post, "nudging" the price up to £3600, almost proving my point. Lets watch some more huh? Maybe I am wrong?:lol:

The other cars listed at the moment have all followed a similar pattern too. Isn't it a strange coincedence that all these "e-bayers" follow the same bidding pattern?

Conviced yet?

Last edited by palwing; 24th December 2006 at 08:43..