Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2016, 08:15   #21
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Apparently the reason Guy Martin does not get more slots on TV is because foreigners don't understand him. Because we sell so many programs abroad they need a presenter who speaks Queens English. Shame, we should have more like him on our TV.
If that's true, then it's a travesty. So we get denied someone/something we'd enjoy because they/it don't fit the remit of the larger market?

I guess this is the same reason that 99% of documentaries these days, even if they are UK produced about UK people (as an example, Supertruckers about a heavy haulage firm operating out of Bristol) use kilometres in the narration as opposed to miles? OK, I realise that technically we use the metric system across the board here now, and have done for years, so much so that most younger folk don't really know much about imperial, but the one thing we have hung on to is miles! Even someone celebrating their 17th birthday today and going out for their first driving lesson will be looking at their speedometer in miles per hour!
Old 20th March 2016, 08:23   #22
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
If that's true, then it's a travesty. So we get denied someone/something we'd enjoy because they/it don't fit the remit of the larger market?
In fairness tv shows have to make money otherwise there's no more money to make more shows. And in fairness he does have quite a twang, i wonder how many people in this country can't quite make out everything he says?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 09:16   #23
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
In fairness tv shows have to make money otherwise there's no more money to make more shows. And in fairness he does have quite a twang, i wonder how many people in this country can't quite make out everything he says?
I had the same trouble during the half episode of the only way is Essex I managed to watch. Not a clue what they were talking about
Then I had to turn off and read a book as I could feel my brain starting to shrivel up and die .
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 09:44   #24
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
True, but then wasn't it on CH4, so they can pay for it with the adverts!
Old 20th March 2016, 09:47   #25
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
True, but then wasn't it on CH4, so they can pay for it with the adverts!
The income from tv ads is linked to how popular the tv show is

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 07:30   #26
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:

I guess this is the same reason that 99% of documentaries these days, even if they are UK produced about UK people (as an example, Supertruckers about a heavy haulage firm operating out of Bristol) use kilometres in the narration as opposed to miles? OK, I realise that technically we use the metric system across the board here now, and have done for years, so much so that most younger folk don't really know much about imperial, but the one thing we have hung on to is miles! Even someone celebrating their 17th birthday today and going out for their first driving lesson will be looking at their speedometer in miles per hour!
Lorries are in kilometer's here, and in miles in America I think.

That's why they over take up th inside lane on motor ways when middle lane hogger's dawdle along doing "there indicated 50 mph" or less.

Guy Martin.... Is proper..... proper..
Phil th Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote