Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th April 2015, 02:31   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

a potential solution, would be to install some kind of cone into the pipe prior to the air filter. it will allow the air to be accelerated. it will be a slave tiny super charger.:p but if the ecu wasn't mapped accurately, to allow the increase of fuel, it will become sluggish.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 02:51   #22
Brumbrum

MGZT+

You're correct in that air speed would be probably be decressed to the air filter box ( but by how much, I've no idea at 3:30am!) but the total mass of air travelling will increase. After it's passed through the filter it will pass through the maf. The mafs location parameters haven't changed so it still records air in the same way, but notes there's more of it. It's not about increasing speed, it's just about letting the engine breath easier, at higher rpms.

If you fit a cone , it's only going to be as effective as it's narrowest point, the filter box intake. Remember there's a turbo down there sucking pretty hard too! Getting air in isn't a problem, it's just not to purposely restrict it
Old 24th April 2015, 05:56   #23
allan t
Avid contributor

mg zt cdti + 75 connie cdti

Listen to russ and brian
allan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 08:29   #24
Brumbrum

MGZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan t View Post
Listen to russ and brian
I have listened to them....
Just based on our own experiences, we have different opinions, which is great. It's always good when people share their objective opinions in any forum, and i appreciate they have taken their time to reply as this is when you learn new ideas, re-evaluate plans, question things etc.

All I've done is pulled a pipe off, noticed an improvement and then explained why i think I've felt that improvement

I've noticed the air intake mod seems to be a pretty controversial one..
Old 24th April 2015, 08:35   #25
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbrum View Post
I have listened to them....
Just based on our own experiences, we have different opinions, which is great. It's always good when people share their objective opinions in any forum, and i appreciate they have taken their time to reply as this is when you learn new ideas, re-evaluate plans, question things etc.

All I've done is pulled a pipe off, noticed an improvement and then explained why i think I've felt that improvement

I've noticed the air intake mod seems to be a pretty controversial one..
You better get one of these too, much fastness to be had!

rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015, 08:42   #26
Brumbrum

MGZT+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
You better get one of these too, much fastness to be had!
The power graph on the back of the box though...
Old 24th April 2015, 10:02   #27
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
You're correct in that air speed would be probably be decressed to the air filter box ( but by how much, I've no idea at 3:30am!) but the total mass of air travelling will increase. After it's passed through the filter it will pass through the maf. The mafs location parameters haven't changed so it still records air in the same way, but notes there's more of it. It's not about increasing speed, it's just about letting the engine breath easier, at higher rpms.

If you fit a cone , it's only going to be as effective as it's narrowest point, the filter box intake. Remember there's a turbo down there sucking pretty hard too! Getting air in isn't a problem, it's just not to purposely restrict it
the maf will still read as it normally does of course, but it will sense less air flowing over it because the air is flowing slower. it doesn't measure the volume of air, nor mass, but the speed at which it passes over. it is a wire, so it can only measure at that point or line. the ecu will then calculate how much air is passing into the combustion chamber, using the preset parameters of the housing. if that speed is reduced the maf will report less air intake, ecu will assume less air is coming into the housing. to make it viable, the ecu parameters would have to be reprogrammed.

the cone suggestion, would be placed inside the tubing of the air filter housing. not outside. this would create a vortex, increasing the speed of the airflow.

I wonder if your maf is within range?

Old 24th April 2015, 10:51   #28
Brumbrum

MGZT+

Air speed won't be reduced passing over the maf? Air speed would be slightly slower approaching the filter housing though. But all that air's going to speed up as it gets sucked on in.
Old 24th April 2015, 12:09   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Air speed won't be reduced passing over the maf? Air speed would be slightly slower approaching the filter housing though. But all that air's going to speed up as it gets sucked on in.
to prove this, if you restored the ducting as it was designed, but placed a something into the maf housing, to reduce the volume,but leaving the maf free to measure the air speed. I bet the car would run too rich. the maf therefore the ecu would believe everything is normal and fuel normally, even though less air is present.

I still think the aerodynamics of the air flow leading to that point will have a bearing on the intake system. if you removed the air ducting, and flared the opening of the air filter housing, I would suggest it would operate more efficiently, and if you were to place some kind of cone, into that flared end (locating like the tuning cones you see sometimes in trumpets) it could become even more efficient at a certain size.

Old 24th April 2015, 19:01   #30
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Very simple way to prove who is correct or not as the case may be......take it to a dyno centre, and take a before and after reading. My money goes on ............................Jules&Marianbrian.