Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th December 2013, 11:28   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default BM24 and philips IBUS differences

Just fitted the BM24 which came yesterday. Liking the RDS station displays and TP chooser (but won't let me choose R2 for fixed TP?

Anyway just to say that the RPi Mp3 players is still working, but there are some differences: when changing 'CD' either by pressing number button or selecting using the knob it doesn't appear to actually tell it to play, but I can get around that for now just by pressing the next track button, also mode switching appears to be slightly different in that it goes Radio, CD, then tape whereas the old unit went Radio, tape, then CD. It does look like I'll have to re-characterise the signaling from the radio and /or try the pibus software out soon.

Soundwise I haven't been able to test it on the move yet, but from what I've heard it is a bit better than the old unit. I can see myself buying some new speakers sooner rather than later though.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 15:35   #22
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

That's great news!
Well done mate.

Ive been loving my BM24 too. Much better sound and a dual tuner.

So your RPi solution uses the normal CD changer screen?

Tris.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...23e7a5fd05.jpg http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...98a7bbedce.jpg

BMW Widescreen, Mark 4 Nav, BM24 radio upgrade, Monogram leather interior, factory DVD & Rear TV
Ex MG Rover car (MG52 ROV)
TristanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 14:11   #23
PeteAU

BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
I may be able to find time over the next week to give a go at looking for the reverse message.
Hi,

Non MG/Rover owner posting, am I allowed? The Pibus is my little project, so I thought I'd give you some info.

On the BMW this message contains lots of data, including gear changes, so it should be easy to check if your cars have it too. It's called "IKE Sensor Status":

Code:
80 0A BF 13 XX GX XX XX XX XX XX CS
Where GX contains the gear (the top 4-bits only):

Code:
1: Reverse
2: 1
4: 2
7: N
8: D
11: Park
12: 4
13: 3
14: 5
Quote:
The Pibus hardware does look it like it'll do a good job, but at the price I think it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution (trigger the rpi to boot and shutdown, and provide the interface to the Ibus.): at £20 I'd consider it. Only the Ibus interface is really necessary and the parts for that would only be a couple of £ anyway: I'll have a go at building one and try it in place of the Ressler interface soon.
Fair enough Considering the Resler unit is 30 Euro, I think 44 Euro for the Pibus is not too bad, considering you get a bit more fuctionality and a neat package screwing right on-top of the Pi.
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2013, 15:00   #24
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Hi Peter!

Tristan here, I'm the chap who has been bothering you over email

Many thanks for posting up that info. Very helpful indeed.

One thing I was hoping to integrate, if I bought the pibus from you, was digital tv. Now, I have a large data allowance on my iPhone contract, so I imagine I could AirPlay this to the RPi via a wifi dongle and hopefully, hey presto ?!

Anyway, really good of you to contribute on the forum, everyone welcome

Merry Christmas,
Tris

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...23e7a5fd05.jpg http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...98a7bbedce.jpg

BMW Widescreen, Mark 4 Nav, BM24 radio upgrade, Monogram leather interior, factory DVD & Rear TV
Old 31st December 2013, 15:39   #25
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Hi Pete, Having thought about it some more I think I was hasty in saying that the price for the Pibus kit was too much. I think it's actually quite good value when you consider that unless you're able to design the necessary circuits yourself there's no way of doing it cheaper: and it does a lot more than the Ressler interface which is more expensive. I'm now considering getting one myself and going the xbmc route.

Thanks for the info RE: IKE Sensor Status, I'll give it a go when I've got the player sorted out properly.

I do have a problem that you might be able to help with, I've just changed out the Philips unit (that the Rover comes with) for a BM24 unit, to try and improve the sound quality. Whilst the sound is fine and the dual tuners are fun It's appears to putting some strange messages on the IBUS e.g.

['37', '13', '9E', 'F0', '03', '68', '01', '9A', '68', '04', 'BF', '02', '00', 'D1', '3B', '03', '80', '01', 'B9', '80', '04']
['20', '07', '20', '46', '4D', '44', '20', '08', '42']
['01', '00', '91', '3B']

I can't make head nor tail of them. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

When it does work (with rpi python program I've been succesfully using with the Philips) there's a couple of differences, the mode switch order is different (radio, cd, tape) rather than (radio, tape,cd) which is fine apart from when switching to cd mode it doesn't send a play command and I'm having trouble picking up the button messages: which I use to switch playlists, pause and shutdown, this I think is down to the mode switch being different. I did try the pibus software using the Ressler interface and although it did pick up messages on the ibus it didn't manage to register the CDC player at all. I must admit I'm a little stumped at the moment and am considering whether the BM24 is faulty.

Thanks for the info RE: IKE Sensor Status, I'll give it a go when I've got the player sorted out properly.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 31st December 2013, 15:51   #26
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Well done guys

Look forward to seeing what comes of this.
I'm on the BM24 also, so the answers will be interesting.

Tris

Old 1st January 2014, 16:26   #27
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Default Quick update

Just realised (after several years of using a linux only laptop) that I can run navcoder on windows and see what's happening (with my new laptop). Just had a quick go with the navcoder stable and everything looks O.K. (although I can't emulate the CDC and use navcoder on the laptop at the same time, I'll have to have a go at building the simple interface). All the buttons on the headunit work as expected and no 'unknown' messages coming from the radio. So I'm still puzzled by what I'm getting in my program and why the Pibus software didn't work to register the CDC. I'll try the navcoder beta tomorrow and see if there's anything else.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 1st January 2014, 16:28   #28
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

You're dedicated Avulon, well done

Old 3rd January 2014, 07:47   #29
PeteAU

BMW

Quote:
Hi Pete, Having thought about it some more I think I was hasty in saying that the price for the Pibus kit was too much. I think it's actually quite good value when you consider that unless you're able to design the necessary circuits yourself there's no way of doing it cheaper: and it does a lot more than the Ressler interface which is more expensive. I'm now considering getting one myself and going the xbmc route.

I do have a problem that you might be able to help with, I've just changed out the Philips unit (that the Rover comes with) for a BM24 unit, to try and improve the sound quality. Whilst the sound is fine and the dual tuners are fun It's appears to putting some strange messages on the IBUS e.g.

['37', '13', '9E', 'F0', '03', '68', '01', '9A', '68', '04', 'BF', '02', '00', 'D1', '3B', '03', '80', '01', 'B9', '80', '04']
['20', '07', '20', '46', '4D', '44', '20', '08', '42']
['01', '00', '91', '3B']

I can't make head nor tail of them. Any help would be gratefully recieved.
I think you chopped that message in the wrong place. This looks like three real ibus messages:

1. 'F0', '03', '68', '01', '9A'
2. '68', '04', 'BF', '02', '00', 'D1'
3. '3B', '03', '80', '01', 'B9'

Quote:

When it does work (with rpi python program I've been succesfully using with the Philips) there's a couple of differences, the mode switch order is different (radio, cd, tape) rather than (radio, tape,cd) which is fine apart from when switching to cd mode it doesn't send a play command and I'm having trouble picking up the button messages: which I use to switch playlists, pause and shutdown, this I think is down to the mode switch being different. I did try the pibus software using the Ressler interface and although it did pick up messages on the ibus it didn't manage to register the CDC player at all. I must admit I'm a little stumped at the moment and am considering whether the BM24 is faulty.

The problem with using pibus with the Resler dongle is that the re-transmit/collision detection will totally break. On the Resler the chip does it, on the pibus it's done in software.

Basically you'd need to modify ibus.c and ibus-send.c to remove the re-transmit mechanism and re-compile it. That might not be easy, do you have the patience?
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 15:49   #30
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Discovered what I'd done last night, you're quite right I chopped the message in the wrong place (an attempt to ignore long messages which didn't show as a fault with the Philips RAD - it didn't send any).

I will have a go at re-compiling it for my setup (using the Ressler interface) I don't think that the extra collision detection will be a problem though, it's more that it's waiting for gpio 18 to go high before it'll send anything.

I think you can expect an order from me for a couple of kits in the near future. Are kits ready at the moment? I'm a little worried about smd as I've never done them before but will give it a go.

The XBMC skin you've done is really good, I installed XBMC to my phone (4.5" screen) and it was unusable until I've put your skin on it.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: