Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2016, 19:58   #21
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
There is a disadvantage to this method Chris. The engine will take much longer to reach normal operating temperature and so engine wear is increased.
Manufacturers always recommend for good reason that the windows are defrosted manually, the engine started and the car driven away immediately. Use the air conditioning windscreen defrosting mode to prevent misting. Your K series engine deliberately has a low capacity cooling system further to aid fast warm-up.

A bit of exercise on a cold morning is good for your health too!

Simon
Simon.--+

Personally I have a slightly different take on this engine warm-up thing.

I can imagine that the exhaust system might suffer a little having moisture in it longer but------------The engine ?

The only bits in the engine that need to be hot are the pistons. They need to expand into the bores to reach their correct working sizes.

The rest of the engine plus the various bearings all around the car don't care too much if they are hot or cold.
As long as the metallic parts are being separated by a film of oil and there's no metal to metal contact all is OK.

The miracle of modern oils, hot or cold, keep the bits apart.

Think how the wheel bearings fare. Cold for a lot of the time. No oil flow.
And they quite often last the life of the car !!!!

The large proportion of cold start wear is in the first couple of seconds until the oil gets to where it needs to be.

Any gaps that are microscopically larger when cold are filled with slightly more viscous oil. The slight difference of oil that is almost visco static in use.
A lot of the moving parts in an engine are just splash fed. No oil flow required.
The oil flow through the big ends and crank bearings is more to remove heat than to pressure lubricate the bearings.

The lubrication is because the film of oil there is incompressible and holds the surfaces apart because of that.

The oil arrives at these plain bearings under pressure but that arrival pressure does not pass along the bearing surfaces with a gap of, maybe, one third of the thickness of one of the hairs on your head.
( if you have enough just pull one out and look at it. Lol. )

So in conclusion I think ( my opinion only ) that cold starts and then tick over for a while puts no more strain on the engine than driving straight off.

The initial couple of seconds wear is the same for both methods.

Last edited by COLVERT; 11th November 2016 at 17:53..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 22:21   #22
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I start my one with the spare key then insert the other key in the door lock and lock it, no problem and done it for years
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 22:41   #23
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Noooooooooo!!! that's the devil's spawn

Brian
Exactly why I wish it could be turned off in the FL2, however (unlike the rover) it has the decency to unlock itself when the engine is turned off.

Same as single point entry
A19_Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 07:39   #24
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

]

[/QUOTE]

Hi all

The comment above prompted a thought.... :-)

Does anyone still use Molyslip or, I think, SLICK50 it was called, which were oil additives supposed to keep a protective layer to include those first few seconds?

Happy Roving

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 07:55   #25
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Simon.--+

Personally I have a slightly different take on this engine warm-up thing.

I can imagine that the exhaust system might suffer a little having moisture in it longer but------------The engine ?

The only bits in the engine that need to be hot are the pistons. They need to expand into the bores to reach their correct working sizes.

The rest of the engine plus the various bearings all around the car don't care too much if they are hot or cold.
As long as the metallic parts are being separated by a film of oil and there's no metal to metal contact all is OK.

The miracle of modern oils, hot or cold, keep the bits apart.

Think how the wheel bearings fare. Cold for a lot of the time. No oil flow.
And they quite often last the life of the car !!!!

The large proportion of cold start wear in in the first couple of seconds until the oil gets to where it needs to be.

Any gaps that are microscopically larger when cold are filled with slightly more viscous oil. The slight difference of oil that is almost visco static in use.
A lot of the moving parts in an engine are just splash fed. No oil flow required.
The oil flow through the big ends and crank bearings is more to remove heat than to pressure lubricate the bearings.

The lubrication is because the film of oil there is incompressible and holds the surfaces apart because of that.

The oil arrives at these plain bearings under pressure but that arrival pressure does not pass along the bearing surfaces with a gap of, maybe, one third of the thickness of one of the hairs on your head.
( if you have enough just pull one out and look at it. Lol. )

So in conclusion I think ( my opinion only ) that cold starts and then tick over for a while puts no more strain on the engine than driving straight off.

I'm with Colvert on this one, my understanding is basically the same...

Modern oils especially fully synthetic's and Esther Synthetics are a marvel to the engine.
Using a lower "W" oil during winter is also favorable, for example MG reccommended 10/40... this grade is long since dead, a 5/40 is what i use in my KV6.
Otherwise i stick to the Manufacturers book, if it says 5/30 it gets the best grade 5/30.
Oil specs are also important, most VAG cars require certain specs for example VW 505.00 is the lower of the specs, it relates to wear protection additives (amongst others) within the oil.
507.00 is the current highest, i often use VW spec oil in other cars simple because for off the shelf oil (not online ordered Esther Synth from Opieoils) its the best quality easiest to get.
Some other oils are very expensive and you might think "well it must be good" but often the specs on the oil dont meet most known manufactuers, so always be careful picking oil.

Personally my KV6 get Gulf Racing esther syth 5/40 and this is perfect from cold/hot as the flow rate is roughly the same at cold as it is at temperature so as Colvert says engine wear is not increased so in my opinion anyway.... as long as there is no metal to metal contact thats all that matters mainly, hence why used/old oil is diluted with petrol/carbon it no longer provides a film accross the metal parts as it thins out.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 12:14   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
... 10/40... this grade is long since dead ...
No it isn't Tom. It's alive and kicking in motor factors and stores all over the country.

Simon
Old 11th November 2016, 13:04   #27
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
I start my one with the spare key then insert the other key in the door lock and lock it, no problem and done it for years
can you lock it with the plipper?
Old 11th November 2016, 13:06   #28
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

End of the day gents...

The screen defrosts and demists quicker.
The car feels warmer inside.
The engine reaches temp quicker and then burns better reducing emissions...

I don't see a bad side ....

FBH for me...
Old 11th November 2016, 13:28   #29
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
I'll give it a try in the morning if the worst that can happen is it just won't work.

Steering wheel lock might be easier.
Only to deter the opportunist really, can't imagine many 75's get nicked to order...
People will and do steal anything and everything, don't believe me?, just lay down in the middle of the street for a few minutes and you will be carried off by someone, I kid you not!
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote