Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2009, 22:23   #21
adam1978
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 190

Thumbs down

Thats why the car he was getting got sold!!!!!!!!
Old 12th April 2009, 22:33   #22
tenerifemike
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8 SE T

Hiya kandyman,

I might live in south Wales, but, did I mention that I am Scottish and from the west coast as well. Very canny

However I might be persuaded to put my hand in my pocket, if only to buy some raffle tickets.

Mike
tenerifemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 22:40   #23
jimjamjohnny
Avid contributor

mg zt 190+

Default exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
like greeners says i would speak to les about belts his went at about 50,000 and were 5 and a half years old if i recall..

Martin
like i said Martin,anytime any place they can let go, some people are unlucky and i'm sorry for les
i'm not saying ignore it, i am entitled to an opinion but i would look at 90k motors a lot more carefully at any age.than a 45k car thats 6 years old.
all cars are treated differently, some have pulled trailers/caravans, some have been owned by boy racer types, some are just driven until they stop.
look at the amount of KV6's there are about, and factor in how many belts have gone on them .........not so many methinks,there are a lot of other things to take on board
when newcomers ask for our opinions, we should give them our advice on a more broader spectrum, rather than sitting on the fence and saying belts,belts belts

johnboy
jimjamjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 22:47   #24
adam1978
Avid contributor

MG ZT+ 190

I would say belts belts belts

My car is currently in bits, its done 68000 miles on a 2001 plate.

I decided to get the belts, water pump etc changed and it is good that I did as all tensioners and rollers were in a sorry state very rough and noisey.
The plastic idler had dumped its grease and had two cracks in it!!! the small cam belt was very loose (stretched) how long would this of lasted???

As they say better safe than sorry!!
Old 12th April 2009, 23:02   #25
Dudley 75
Regular poster

2000 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Club

I've been a member of several forums over the years with various cars I have owned (quite amazing how many forums for different cars there is!). They go on about cambelts etc too. It is always something to bear in mind when getting a new car of any make that have rubber cambelts as opposed to chains. I agree with pointing out the fact that you must check they have been done before getting a new car. If there is no proof then get them done. It is far cheaper in the long run. Also a good thing is always do a HPI check as it's amazing what some sellers will try and hide. I was going to buy a jag xjs once from fleebay. Just before I went down to get I got the reg number for the insurance and also ran a HPI check. Good job I did as it turned out it was a cat c write off! Going back to "other forums" I must say I am very impressed with this forum and is well worth the small subscription.
Dudley 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2009, 23:03   #26
tenerifemike
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8 SE T

Thanks all of you and for giving me different opinions, the fact that they do differ is what in my opinion this forum is all about.

It will always be up to the individual to choose which one he will pick.

If he chooses the wrong one so be it. There will always be people like yourselves to pick up the pieces and I don't think for one minute anybody will say "i told you so"

It is this forum that gives people like me who know nothing about cars but are willing to learn the confidence to open the bonnet and have a look around.

And for that I thank you all.

Mike
tenerifemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 07:53   #27
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Look on belts as insurance......yep some peole don't change them and they get "away with it", others maintain their service schedule and get caught out.

Personally the cost of belts vs trashing a 190 engine is a no brainer. You'd also have to consider the history of the engine. Lots of short trips, stops and starts are probably worse then motorway mileage.

Asan aside, many years ago, my company car came from Swan National. Their policy at the time was not to do cam belts (3yrs / 60000mls) as they's worked out that it was chepeap to buy the odd new engine when the belts went then to do all the belts on all the car.

Out of an office of 12 cars, 2 failed on almost exactly 60,000, and as the cars were almost 3 years old they were put into auction with damaged engines.......

you pays your money, you takes your chances
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote