Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2015, 14:24   #1
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You are absolutely right Tony, the ZT260 is far too sloooooowww, even with a supercharger

Now this is what I call a supercharger

Brian
I can't ever remember morris making a Marina like that, so it must be a rubbish kit car
Old 25th June 2015, 15:55   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny t View Post
I can't ever remember morris making a Marina like that, so it must be a rubbish kit car
Might well be a rubbish kit car, but 0-60 in 2.7 seconds is faster than your rubbish kit car...oh and at least it's not finished in primer either

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 16:06   #3
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Yeah but mines a prototype which instantly makes it better and my dad's bigger than yours so nah
Old 25th June 2015, 16:12   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Yeah but mines a prototype which instantly makes it better and my dad's bigger than yours so nah
LOL

Finally a sense of humour , are we getting the jist of not taking life too seriously yet

Brian
Old 25th June 2015, 16:19   #5
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

Mate I am just in the process of recomissioning my mgb which as stood in the back of my garage for 25 year's you can't fail to have a sense of humour. I'd love to see some of the young guy's with there laptops tackle this baby
Old 25th June 2015, 16:35   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Mate I am just in the process of recomissioning my mgb which as stood in the back of my garage for 25 year's you can't fail to have a sense of humour. I'd love to see some of the young guy's with there laptops tackle this baby
I know that feeling well....I had a rubber bumper model BGT, and used an entire "N" size bottle of acetylene welding in new panels

Strangely enough the colour was also Citron, which is a tad bright

Still at least with a "B" you can dismantle the entire car with five spanners, plus the exhaust note of a well tuned twin carb B-Series is absolutely ace

Best of luck with the recommissioning job, and hope the tinworm moths haven't been too unkind.

Brian
Old 25th June 2015, 18:08   #7
johnny t
Loves to post

MG ZT 135+/ MG ZT 260

No tin worm in this one mate just perished rubber sticky petrol and bad contacts,
Old 25th June 2015, 20:04   #8
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and it would be a sad day if individuals were censored if they did not subscribe to the "group think" that can often pervade in this type of forum.

But I do find it disappointing and actually quite disturbing that within an enthusiasts forum some of the comments are not only quite scathing on the actual cars we are supposed to be supporting, but these individuals seem to look for every and the slightest opportunity to put the boot in.

For my part I can only say I am on my second 260 (actually the current one is a 385 with a Roush SC), and in the 7+ years I have had them, I have covered just short of 200,000 miles and until about a year ago they were my daily drivers.

These have been 2 of the best cars I have ever owned, only the first one was on T4 in my presence, that was Gary at Methlick and it seemed to work fine, but really for the amount of miles I have covered I have not had any significant issues and have never regretted owning them.

The experience of driving the V8 can't underplayed, no it's not the fastest, even the SC car doesn't "feel" that fast, but it's interesting to find you can be at the speed limit rather quickly if not paying attention.

I recall Rincewind quoting the performance figures for the only production 385 as 4.7 sec 0-60 and a top speed of 179 mph. Not bad for a "kit car"!
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 22:01   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I think Brian is sat chuckling at some of these comments.

He did actual say something positive about my 260...

Can we get this framed?

Rich.
You are absolutely correct Rich, chuckling indeed, and yes Garnet Red is lovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm77 View Post
True, when you meet him he has lots of tongue in cheek comments to make about all the 75/ZT's. Non of the models are perfect, probably no car ever produced was. Brian knows the little faults and then let's you know all about them. Some are worth knowing, others minor quality issues that can be improved on. He takes the Mick out of his own cars too. It's just light hearted northern humour.

At a recent meet, some people had gone to town with their engine bays. Brian walks up, "Oh, you've not polished/painted that nut". He's just having a laugh.
Sadly Paul, a lot of sense of humour bypass going on here.

Quote:
LOL

Finally a sense of humour , are we getting the jist of not taking life too seriously yet

Brian
At last ......or did I speak too soon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksilver View Post
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and it would be a sad day if individuals were censored if they did not subscribe to the "group think" that can often pervade in this type of forum.

But I do find it disappointing and actually quite disturbing that within an enthusiasts forum some of the comments are not only quite scathing on the actual cars we are supposed to be supporting, but these individuals seem to look for every and the slightest opportunity to put the boot in.

For my part I can only say I am on my second 260 (actually the current one is a 385 with a Roush SC), and in the 7+ years I have had them, I have covered just short of 200,000 miles and until about a year ago they were my daily drivers.

These have been 2 of the best cars I have ever owned, only the first one was on T4 in my presence, that was Gary at Methlick and it seemed to work fine, but really for the amount of miles I have covered I have not had any significant issues and have never regretted owning them.

The experience of driving the V8 can't underplayed, no it's not the fastest, even the SC car doesn't "feel" that fast, but it's interesting to find you can be at the speed limit rather quickly if not paying attention.

I recall Rincewind quoting the performance figures for the only production 385 as 4.7 sec 0-60 and a top speed of 179 mph. Not bad for a "kit car"!
Now this is the trouble, no one wants to hear about the shortcomings of their car, or even a challenge to the "elitist" element of what is in all cases a car which in theory is a fantastic idea, but poorly executed.

I don't take life, or indeed the car I choose to drive seriously, I mean who on earth would shoehorn a 407 cubic inch W-Series Chevy Big Block engine into a Marina van with a Holley blower

It certainly doesn't handle very well, but then again with a budget of less than twelve grand, it sounds like Cerberus barking, a sub 3 second 0-60 and has a top speed of 168 MPH, not bad for a kit car either

It seems to me those owners of V8 cars who truly believe the sun shines from the polished silencers, seem to take delight at shows revving the nuts of their cars as if to say "look mine is bigger than yours"

Now this may be entertaining once or twice, but it is at every single meet I have attended with more than one V8 present.

In terms of attacking and not supporting models within a club dedicated to all R40 derivative cars.....well you didn't see what went on behind the scenes between myself and Wyn Fellowes (Eurorover) in terms of 007, not the hundreds of man hours, long telephone calls, trial and error to get this basket case prototype running again, and for what payment....oh yes I got a buckled 11 spoke wheel with a bald tyre.

I didn't expect, nor want payment, but that is what I accepted as a token gesture from the man who thanked you in your original post

Make no mistake about it, I find playing with the electronics involved in not only standard models, but the non standard versions of these cars both interesting and challenging....much more so than the cars as a whole and would never turn anyone in dire need away, but remember one thing playing the elite game doesn't wash with me

I own a production car, one of less than 80 produced, a dozen survivors, and one of two models produced in a particular trim level, so 884 cars is not that rare to me.

I am glad you enjoy your car, and indeed your previous car Ken, and applaud someone who has poured over 10000 gallons of fuel into their car.... but do please look at this objectively, they are seriously flawed, mechanically, and electrically, and if you see that as "putting the boot in", so be it.

With no such blinkered views, as you correctly point out, I am more than entitled to poke fun, as people are to poke fun at me.

The difference being, I am not as touchy about it as some

Brian
Old 26th June 2015, 10:45   #10
Steve61
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie Saloon

Quote:

I don't take life, or indeed the car I choose to drive seriously, I mean who on earth would shoehorn a 407 cubic inch W-Series Chevy Big Block engine into a Marina van with a Holley blower

It certainly doesn't handle very well, but then again with a budget of less than twelve grand, it sounds like Cerberus barking, a sub 3 second 0-60 and has a top speed of 168 MPH, not bad for a kit car either

Brian
Dave Russell and Joe 'Shrek' Williams.
Unless it's a different van you're talking about, which is possible because The Van With No Name has a Blown 540ci Big Block and cost considerably more than 12k to build.
If it was that cheap, I'd be on the phone to Dave tomorrow for a replica.
PPD C-Pillars, Door reflectors and other bits.

To do:
Respray the roof.

Done:
Manifold replaced. (Silent now)
Belts done
New wing
Changed the reg to R24 HRS :-)
Steve61 is offline   Reply With Quote