Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th September 2014, 11:00   #231
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

If the Shetland Islands unilaterally declared independence from Scotland in the event of a yes vote, taking their oil wealth with them, what would Scotland do?

In a nut shell, how would the Nationalists deal with the following:

- budget deficit (they've now not got as much oil as they thought)
- the separatists (would they deny them the right they had just been given or would they send in the troops?)

I would like Scotland to go its way if the majority of its people feel up to the challenge.
I just feel the Nationalists are telling a few porkies at the expense of England. The again, that's what Nationalist politics generally does.
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:10   #232
doopydug
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
If the Shetland Islands unilaterally declared independence from Scotland in the event of a yes vote, taking their oil wealth with them, what would Scotland do?

- the separatists (would they deny them the right they had just been given or would they send in the troops?)

I would like Scotland to go its way if the majority of its people feel up to the challenge.
I just feel the Nationalists are telling a few porkies at the expense of England. The again, that's what Nationalist politics generally does.

Both sides are bending the truth, no doubt about it. Politicians are the same, the world over
doopydug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:16   #233
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:

they would only have a 12 mile sea limit , very little of the oil is within that area.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:39   #234
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
they would only have a 12 mile sea limit , very little of the oil is within that area.
But then, there are no oilfields within 12 miles of the coast of Scotland.

And while the North sea waters are divided, by agreement, between the UK and Norway, if you want to apply the 12 mile limit, "Scotland" has no oil, as the UK will no longer include Scotland.

Should Scotland vote to go independent, we'll arrange to have the pipelines diverted to Berwick-upon-Tweed by the end of September.

Good luck
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:39   #235
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
I'd seen estimates of up to 60% via Reuters from a quick Google.
Seems like it's fairly substantial.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:44   #236
Woof25
Passed Away

Rover 75 Saloon CDti Se A

I just hope that in 9-10 years we don't see TV ads asking us for just £5(inflation) to help a struggling family in a country called Scotland ridiculous? I certainly hope so.

But perhaps your old friends the French would come to your aid they dislike us as much as you do seemingly given the number of times theyhave blocked ports burnt our lamb exports and their refusal to really deal with the illegals around Calais. Rant over.Vote the way you believe is best for your self aand your country that's all anyone can ask, then its in the lap of the gods. Good luck
Woof25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2014, 11:46   #237
milleplod
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Saloon

And don't be expecting that fabled land of milk and honey/Utopia/Nirvana that's been promised....it aint there at the end of the rainbow, for anybody!

Pete
Old 5th September 2014, 11:53   #238
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
I just hope that in 9-10 years we don't see TV ads asking us for just £5(inflation) to help a struggling family in a country called Scotland ridiculous? I certainly hope so.

But perhaps your old friends the French would come to your aid they dislike us as much as you do seemingly given the number of times theyhave blocked ports burnt our lamb exports and their refusal to really deal with the illegals around Calais. Rant over.Vote the way you believe is best for your self aand your country that's all anyone can ask, then its in the lap of the gods. Good luck
Here's an extract from a BBC article on French attitudes to Scottish independence...

'Certainly, in Paris – though no-one in government would presume to say it openly – there is no enthusiasm for Scottish independence.

One factor is the regional example. France believes in the nation state, and would look askance at regions like Corsica or Brittany getting too strong ideas about hiving themselves off.

However, according to political scientist Dominique Moisi, that is not the real reason for French lack of support on independence.

“France is not Spain, where the precedent Scotland might set for Catalonia is very real. Here the regions make a lot of noise, but there is no risk of separation.
“No, for France the argument against Scottish independence is our dream of a strong United Kingdom, fully engaged in Europe, whose purpose is to counter-balance a Germany that gets more powerful every year.
“Anything that detracts from that strong United Kingdom – as Scottish independence would do – goes against French ambitions in Europe.”

Full article here
Old 5th September 2014, 14:09   #239
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Here's an extract from a BBC article on French attitudes to Scottish independence...

'Certainly, in Paris – though no-one in government would presume to say it openly – there is no enthusiasm for Scottish independence.

One factor is the regional example. France believes in the nation state, and would look askance at regions like Corsica or Brittany getting too strong ideas about hiving themselves off.

However, according to political scientist Dominique Moisi, that is not the real reason for French lack of support on independence.

“France is not Spain, where the precedent Scotland might set for Catalonia is very real. Here the regions make a lot of noise, but there is no risk of separation.
“No, for France the argument against Scottish independence is our dream of a strong United Kingdom, fully engaged in Europe, whose purpose is to counter-balance a Germany that gets more powerful every year.
“Anything that detracts from that strong United Kingdom – as Scottish independence would do – goes against French ambitions in Europe.”

Full article here
Yes quite an understandable stance from the French. If the union does go it will be a sad for me and many others.
Old 5th September 2014, 15:35   #240
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphStag View Post
dont let Salmond find out about that. He will claim it as a Scottish asset.
Careful .

Having reserves of oil could leave you open to American invasion.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote