Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd May 2016, 08:28   #191
longer86
Taking time out

R75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Not the HRW mod Steve, as this is done at firmware level in the BCU

What would revert are the auxiliary ZCS coding options, a bit like losing Message Centre digital speedometer

Brian
I am very interested what will happen, as I know t4 due to ZCS rewriting configuration in module, so if something will be wrong in BCU, T4 probably rewrite EEPROM and HRW will be switched on again.
longer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:29   #192
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Brian.
Thank you for clearing up some questions. Perhaps that should put many minds at rest.
I do like the look and feel of Toaf and yes if your savvy there should be no problems. Any doubt at all don't try it or do things that may have a detriment to your car.
Once again Thank you Brian
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:04   #193
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longer86 View Post
I am very interested what will happen, as I know t4 due to ZCS rewriting configuration in module, so if something will be wrong in BCU, T4 probably rewrite EEPROM and HRW will be switched on again.
No, it doesn't I tried this out as I was curious

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:22   #194
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Becky Thump!!!
When I asked the simple question "What is Toaf?" I never expected to start a thread going on for 21 pages. I normally get ignored.
I'm not a lot wiser but glad that I have stimulated a debate.
Thanks to all who have contributed.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:24   #195
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Becky Thump!!!
When I asked the simple question "What is Toaf?" I never expected to start a thread going on for 21 pages. I normally get ignored.
Ha Ha.
I bet the MP's in the house of commons have less debate on a subject than on here
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:30   #196
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Anyone who uses test equipment on a regular basis will know that look we get when a fault is cured for someone who has spent days or weeks trying to solve it themselves, and of course the comment that follows as they look longingly down at our AVO "I must get one of those". Yes, well the best of luck. Getting it is one thing, knowing how to use it, where to apply it and most important of all, how to interpret and act upon what it tells us takes training and experience. I have nothing but the greatest respect for Brian and if I had test equipment damaged by something a previous fiddler had done, well....
I live a long way from any T4 so TOAF may well be a good option for me. No matter how good it may or may not be, when I finally get around to my 160 upgrade it will be a T4 guy that does it. Other than that, the ability to read any codes reliably etc would be great. I certainly have no intention of "playing" with police headlights or fandango digiplops. With the great comments from Brian and with Trevor (and others) on the case it must surely be coming up for a How To so that we can actually get some helpful input, pass the fear of plugging in the OBD connector and circumvent the terror of clicking a tab lest our car transform into a Skoda (no offence)

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:33   #197
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Becky Thump!!!
Glad you did.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:34   #198
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
Anyone who uses test equipment on a regular basis will know that look we get when a fault is cured for someone who has spent days or weeks trying to solve it themselves, and of course the comment that follows as they look longingly down at our AVO "I must get one of those". Yes, well the best of luck. Getting it is one thing, knowing how to use it, where to apply it and most important of all, how to interpret and act upon what it tells us takes training and experience. I have nothing but the greatest respect for Brian and if I had test equipment damaged by something a previous fiddler had done, well....
I live a long way from any T4 so TOAF may well be a good option for me. No matter how good it may or may not be, when I finally get around to my 160 upgrade it will be a T4 guy that does it. Other than that, the ability to read any codes reliably etc would be great. I certainly have no intention of "playing" with police headlights or fandango digiplops. With the great comments from Brian and with Trevor (and others) on the case it must surely be coming up for a How To so that we can actually get some helpful input, pass the fear of plugging in the OBD connector and circumvent the terror of clicking a tab lest our car transform into a Skoda (no offence)

Nige
Absolutely Nige.
I do think that Toaf & VT4 is the answer for those in the sticks, training though should be available, whether in a manual or on youtube.
Both these are great tools but for the uninitiated they could be dangerous!
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:43   #199
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Surely Trevor, the very best place would be a how to on this forum.
I need to stop reading this thread and get out the door !!!

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 09:59   #200
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
So can I have an honest answer.
How many cars have now been bricked?
Also how many cars have had to go to a T4 operator to be "repaired" after being damaged by the use of Toaf (and allegedly bricking the T4) and how much has it cost to carry out these repairs.

Please supply full details as it's only fair that we all know if this is happening or a load of tosh!
I have tried TOAF. Well, when I say try, I connected it up. Had a look around, clicking on the various modules. Being mindful with each click I made, because I couldnt see any back up option that people referred to. Then I see the HRW delete. Instinctively because, it was probably the only thing that bore any attraction to me, I clicked it. Noticed the save, clicked just as I noticed the back up button.

Some will ask why I wished to disable the auto HRW. Well in the few hundred times it has come on, I can safely say I needed it 4 or 5 of those times! A bit like the extra wear on locks with double presses and auto locking (which I happen to appreciate after a spate of traffic light hijackings here), it adds unnecessary wear on the switch and heating elements.

So the heated element went off and I couldnt resist trying the police lights. I have tried it, dont need to do it again lol.

Next I looked at the thousands of 'sporadic' fault codes. WOW! If my car was a horse, it would have been shot. Til I looked closer. Bulb warnings, SRS warnings etc. Clicked on a lot of them, then cleared them, because they seemed to go back a long way. But two caught my attention. Low pre fuel pressure (I think that was the term) and strange to me injector readings, possibly why I am only getting 35 mpg instead of the 150 everyone else gets (I really do expect 40 in truth). Once cleared the low pre fuel ones came back, though, so I assume along with injector readings and this, will explain my mpg issues. After my return from holiday, I will investigate further, and ask the appropriate questions, in the appropriate place of course.

A couple of days after doing this, I noticed my key fob long press was not releasing my boot. (mk2). So I assume from this is related to what Brian has suggested below. I am due to drive to the airport in a few hours, so I am not going to risk setting it back just 'til I return lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
HRW delete normally leaves for some reason, a checksum error in the BCU Trev

Brian

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote