Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th November 2008, 17:24   #11
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Thanks for the replies, gents. Sorry to hear your tale of woe, Carlos - it sounds like a right pig! I spoke to Lates about clutches when I last went to him for service and was intending to use his mate for replacement when the time came, but then the clutch failed suddenly when I was on my way to a friend's house and I had no choice about where to go! Turns out it's the slave cylinder that's failed and leaked oil about the place. I've been waiting for a call back from Xpart all afternoon and will chase them up in the morning.

Does anyone know a rough price for a garage replacing a slave cylinder?

I understand all estimates will be very rough at best, but unless I can get somewhere with Xpart I have to decide somehow between paying for a local repair and the massive hassle of getting the car over 100 miles to the original garage and back.
Old 17th November 2008, 17:28   #12
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Really an issue for XPart imo.................

If people can't rely on their service centres without literally checking all the small print etc. then it is a poor show and reputation damaging.

Could the member on here from XPart help clarify the situation?
My thoughts exactly Mike, glad to hear someone else sees it the way I do. I'll be speaking to one of the managers at Xpart tomorrow with this in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts
Dave, thats terrible. You put your trust in the garage, and they've used non genuine parts. Thats damnable.

You've got me worried now too.

I've just had my clutch replaced at an XPart garage. They'd better have used genuine parts for what it cost me.
If I were you I'd dig the receipt out and check the part numbers...

Last edited by Dave***t; 17th November 2008 at 17:36..
Dave***t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 18:00   #13
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Always tell Service centres you want Genuine OEM supplied from XPart
unless you are getting job on cheap of course.

Check your original Invoice to see if mention is made of using OEM or third party parts.
You would expect IMHO a XPart Franchise to be using OEM Parts,
More so if they are charging for them.
Also seek advice from Trading Standards on this,
as I also, feel that XPart would have terms and conditions for the supply and fitting of their parts only.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 13:29   #14
EXMSRalph
Gets stuck in

ZS180, MGF, Rover 400, MG Montego

We normally give customers the choice as to whether they want genuine or pattern parts when replacing the clutch or brakes. Most people opt for the pattern parts.

As far as warranty claims for genuine parts go, I tried doing a claim for a faulty part fitted by another garage. Never again!
EXMSRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 15:16   #15
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Well, I've finally got the car back and working this afternoon, and given the potentially very reputation-damaging nature of the story so far, I thought it only fair to mention how it was all resolved in the end...

The garage in the Wirral were completely intractable - even though another Xpart garage had confirmed it was one of the parts that they'd fitted which had failed, they insisted that the car had to go to them before they'd do anything. In fairness to them, they said if they confirmed it was their parts/work which had failed, they'd cover the cost of taking the vehicle to them. But that would still leave me with my car over 100 miles away with a garage I was faintly dubious about after they'd fitted incorrect parts from my POV, and the cost of getting the car back from them. Not to mention what might have happened if they'd then claimed the problem was something else. NB - I have no reason to think they'd be so underhand, but when you're already in a tight spot you don't want to risk anything. Plus there was now a local garage who'd had to store the car for well over a week and would want some storage payment if they didn't get to do the work.

So, to cut an ever longer story short, Xpart to the rescue! Once I got to speak to a manager called Nigel over the course of several phone calls last week, he took all the relevant information from me and checked everything with all the garages involved. He tried to broker some kind of deal with the garage up North, and when they continued to insist they wouldn't budge unless the car was brought to them, he took responsibility and authorised the work to be done at the local garage, with Xpart footing the bill. I felt like kissing the phone.

So it's been a bit of a nightmare and taken the best part of 3 weeks, but in the end Xpart sorted everything out, my car has a new, genuine slave cylinder and clutch plates, and all it's cost me is £40 for the local diagnostic.

Hopefully anyone who read my tale and was concerned about Xpart can now rest a bit easier!
Old 27th November 2008, 15:51   #16
amableson
Gets stuck in

Ex Rover 75 owner

How nice to read some good news at last in this current economic climate.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:05   #17
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

That is a damn good and probably very rare result, well done Xpart.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 18:35   #18
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I must agree,
Well done XPart on looking after a Customer.
A rare event these days.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 18:49   #19
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

I must say I had a good dealing with Xpart direct, don't know if anyone remembers, they listed 50 brand new T series cylinder heads on ebay a couple of years back, I won 2 for the grand sum of £2 each. To cut a long story short, due to getting no response from them re my questions, they sent both out to be carriage free for messing me about! Dread to think how much the whole episode cost them in the end as all 50 heads sold at £2 each!
mach1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 18:53   #20
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Dave,

Well done indeed and top marks to XPart!