Notices

Old 25th July 2015, 20:37   #11
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisop48 View Post
Stewart,

You are obviously a Connoisseur of Barney Bodging.
I was born in 48 and remember a make do and mend attitude being paramount. Rear box is fine. I cannot see it so do not care what it looks like, but agree with Sidetops, it is a thing of beauty. Dollop of ehaust paste around the hole, soft aluminium sheet formed around bend. Stainlees steel fabricated on top, a few clamps and jubilee clips. Jobs a good-un. Whats not to like? Will be happy if I get another year out of it. I believe it is gas tight but if it fails the MOT next month then I shall obviously replace it.
Major problem, being a fat Bar Steward was getting underneath it when it was on axle stands. To recheck the nuts I put it up on ramps. Absolute doddle. Loads of room.

Peter.
And it will probably outlast the one that Kwik Fit would have fitted, given the opportunity.

This man is truly green, we should praise him not shame him
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 23:10   #12
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Stewart,

I was born in 48 and remember a make do and mend attitude being paramount. Rear box is fine. I cannot see it so do not care what it looks like, but agree with Sidetops, it is a thing of beauty. Dollop of ehaust paste around the hole, soft aluminium sheet formed around bend. Stainlees steel fabricated on top, a few clamps and jubilee clips. Jobs a good-un. Whats not to like? Will be happy if I get another year out of it. I believe it is gas tight but if it fails the MOT next month then I shall obviously replace it.
Major problem, being a fat Bar Steward was getting underneath it when it was on axle stands. To recheck the nuts I put it up on ramps. Absolute doddle. Loads of room.

Peter.
The creator of Frankenzorst.
Old 25th July 2015, 23:28   #13
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Stewart,

Peter.
Good on you Peter, you had the last laugh. Not many know this, but a few years ago I reversed LJW onto a proud railway sleeper at The Star. Pete came to the rescue with a 3 ton load of common sense, no fuss, brute strength Jack
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 00:06   #14
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Stewart,

Peter.
Nowt wrong with a bit of bodgery as long as it works. My EGR port on the exhaust manifold has a plug in it made from an exhaust bandage and half a tub of paste, and it's all held in place by the flexi pipe at the rear Obviously I'd like to blank it off properly but until I figure out a way to remove a rounded torx drive bolt I'm afraid my plug is staying were it is
Old 26th July 2015, 09:13   #15
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quite a lot of work has gone into that. Might have been easier to try something like this though.

Odd place for the original to fail. Normally goes on the weld.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Mand...item54121eb5c5
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 10:04   #16
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Years ago I worked out in the Scottish isles and my Renault 30 back box went, I wasn't going to pay the prices to ship one over so packed the hole with fire cement then a square of lead sheet soldered and tied with some fencing wire, lasted me for 5 months till I was back on the mainland
Old 26th July 2015, 10:53   #17
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Quite a lot of work has gone into that. Might have been easier to try something like this though.

Odd place for the original to fail. Normally goes on the weld.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetex-Mand...item54121eb5c5
But where is the sense of achievement in fitting that?
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 11:44   #18
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayH View Post
But where is the sense of achievement in fitting that?
Nothing like making life easy, or not.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:43   #19
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Many years ago I pulled into a garage on the A12 for fuel. As I stopped the exhaust pipe sheered halfway along and dropped on the floor. The girl in the garage was puzzled when I bought a tin of soup, a tube of gun gum and two worm drive clips. I emptied the soup down the drain, cut the tin ends out and along the seam, then wrapped it around the two ends of the pipe after filling it with gun gum. I then secured it with the clips and drove off after washing my hands. It lasted three months before the rest of the pipe rotted through!
steve811 is offline   Reply With Quote