Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2015, 18:49   #11
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Salad dodger, not sure what your reading into my reply? My point is i dont know, hence the question, you can quallify your comments with whether its hearsay or knowledge, that way we might all learn something - ornothing, as the case may be?
One thing i can be pretty sure of, its not worth bothering with a knackered kv6 crank.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:06   #12
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Yes, exactly. That's why I've asked the question. It may well be that a re grind is not a sensible course of action.
This thread is about just that. I need to know if anyone has re ground a crankshaft. Simply that. Along the way I will probably receive some information that will be suspect. When I've checked it out, I may be the wiser with a bit of luck.
Just to fill you in a bit.
When I started having a problem with my engine I knew I needed to source another. Metal in the oil is not good! When I found a 2.5 I found it was not a 190, so apart from posting a few questions on here (which you kindly contributed to) I did quite a bit of on and off-line research. I was trying to find out what changes the factory made to get where the 190 is and one of the changes was to the material of the bearing shells. Another was to the gudgeon pins in the pistons. Plus a different MAP I think. I have no idea if the crank is a nitrided example. That's why I asked the question. Ford often used them in some of their units, so did BL Special Tuning. Jaguar's V12 has one.
This forum is one of the best I have been on and I've been on some in the years I've had my fingers inside motor car engines but I won't indulge in the pointless competitive bitching that sometimes prevails on forums.
I hope that there's none intended and none received in either direction.
You yourself have given me some very sound advice on other threads and I'm really grateful.
Next stop will be a machine shop or three to get their view on a KV6 re grind. After all, If we do nothing,, we may start running out of engines. I'll be back on this with all the findings. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:33   #13
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad-Dodger View Post
Not sure what you are getting at there Mr doodles. Started a new paragraph as well.
If you have a V6 with a either a tapping or a clicking you will soon find a lot of others (as I have) who have the same problem.
You stated that a tapping noise was "quite common" on the V6 and then went on to describe how the oil was not only low in your engine, but miles over due for a change judging by the state of it!

I think that you'll find that ALL engines, be them petrol or diesel and from ANY manufacturer, will end up with "tapping" noises when run as described, as most of the bearing surfaces on the crank will be absolutely knackered!

And I'm more than aware of the weak spots on ALL the engines on our cars, but they can hardly be blamed for making noises, when they've been abused!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2015, 20:42   #14
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

Oh...I give up! My last post on this thread. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:29   #15
Organiser
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T+180 Auto & ZT-T+1.8T in Trophy Blue, ZT-T CDTI+135 Auto in Ignition Blue, ZT-T+190 in Typhoon,

Thumbs up

Steve,

Please don't give up, there are a lot us reading your posts and we do need the answers to the question!

You could pm Petetourer, he did have a crank reground in the engine that I now own.

Regards,

Tom.
Old 23rd July 2015, 17:57   #16
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Ai dont give up, we might never know the definitive answer on cank grinding kv6 engines, not to mention gudgeon pin mods, any others?
I myself bought a zs with a knackered bottom end because of a gudgeon pin creeping in a small end - can only blame poor quallity control im afraid.
Other than that i cant say ive ever found anything wrong with the basic lump.
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote