Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2013, 20:37   #11
Grumpy1
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 2.5 2001 Royal Blue Connoissuer Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
Clearly you are not an undercover agent. NOC is Non-Official Cover and is used by spies that aren't attached to any government or organisation and said government or orgaisation will aways denign knowing you. They are spies that are really on their own.
Of course it is Matt. Should have known that shouldn't I! By the way, trying to pm you but your inbox is full.

Chad.

Oh no! Not DRLs! Yes, I can open the bonnet.
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:44   #12
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
By the way, trying to pm you but your inbox is full.

Chad.
Indeed, there is one thread about it already.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:45   #13
Undercover
Cover Blown

54 plate 2005 V6 Contemporary SE in Nightfire Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Indeed, there is one thread about it already.
Have just deleted a couple of messages.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 08:19   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Back to the problem ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
... no loss of drive, no slippage, cruises perfectly on motorway, the only problem is that when hot, the change from 2nd to third becomes very harsh. No other gears are affected, and down changes are also normal ..
I have to admit that I'm clutching at straws here in an effort to solve your problem. I have an ATSG repair manual for the JATCo and it says that torque reduction may be inhibited if the transmission fluid temperature sensor malfunctions. However this wouldn't explain why only an upchange from 2nd to 3rd is harsh.

Is it worth revisiting the thorny issue of the ATF? I've forgotten; did you change it yourself and use a N402 compatible fluid? Did you check the level with a warm gearbox using the device on the underside of the transmission? I'd be tempted to re-check it.

Simon
Old 12th May 2013, 08:24   #15
Undercover
Cover Blown

54 plate 2005 V6 Contemporary SE in Nightfire Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have to admit that I'm clutching at straws here in an effort to solve your problem. I have an ATSG repair manual for the JATCo and it says that torque reduction may be inhibited if the transmission fluid temperature sensor malfunctions. However this wouldn't explain why only an upchange from 2nd to 3rd is harsh.

Is it worth revisiting the thorny issue of the ATF? I've forgotten; did you change it yourself and use a N402 compatible fluid? Did you check the level with a warm gearbox using the device on the underside of the transmission? I'd be tempted to re-check it.

Simon
Simon

I think the next thing is to take it out for a run with a T4 connected and see what is happening in real time, it may give a clue as to what is going on. I know that Rover 54 attended at the weekend as I pointed the problem out to him and he said he would attend.
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 08:33   #16
SD1too

Quote:
David (LoveMa75),

I've just found your earlier thread when you drained the transmission fluid and it was black! You said that there were no particles in it, it was just very dirty. James suggested that this may indicate a worn clutch, which would only normally result from abuse. I don't know the mileage or history of your car but in view of the state of the fluid, a second change wouldn't be a bad idea. Make sure that you drain it when the engine is warm so that it flows as freely as possible.

Simon
Old 12th May 2013, 08:38   #17
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Quote:

Simon
Thanks for your input everyone.

Yes Simon, I did a full change using Carlube ATF-U, as indicated as an acceptable alternative on your list. I would have used the MGR fluid but couldn't afford it, Carlube much cheaper. I removed pipe from oil cooler to get as much old fluid out from torque converter, so box had total of 8 litres of new fluid! I can't properly check the level because the level plug is seized, but I got 8 litres out and 8 litres went in so it shouldn't be to far away.

Changes perfectly smooth when cold, and continue to be so when hot except for up change from 2nd to 3rd. All down changes normal.

I think it's possible the box was not rebuilt properly, but there isn't much I can do about it - a replacement box is just totally out of the question for me financially.
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 09:25   #18
SD1too

Quote:
I can't properly check the level because the level plug is seized, but I got 8 litres out and 8 litres went in so it shouldn't be to far away.
Supposing that the cause of the harsh change is an error in the fluid level then replacing with the same amount gets you no further forward. It's highly unsatisfactory that the level plug won't move. I think you should forget about everything else and sort this out. I'm not pretending it's easy, but there are ways of removing over-tight bolts, and they're cheap!

Edit: David, have you got a long handled tool, such as a torque wrench, with which you can apply some decent force to this plug?

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 12th May 2013 at 11:11..
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 16:00   #19
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Supposing that the cause of the harsh change is an error in the fluid level then replacing with the same amount gets you no further forward. It's highly unsatisfactory that the level plug won't move. I think you should forget about everything else and sort this out. I'm not pretending it's easy, but there are ways of removing over-tight bolts, and they're cheap!

Edit: David, have you got a long handled tool, such as a torque wrench, with which you can apply some decent force to this plug?

Simon
Yes Simon, but not a 5.5mm attachment that will fit it, and I'm all spent out right now so can't lash out on a set to fit. Sorry don't mean that to sound like a whinge, times are tough for everyone.

I broke the 3 Allen keys I had on it. I'm not keen to use more force because I've read of some who ripped the threads out of the casing, and that would just be a disaster.

On the last 75 I had the level plug came out with an Allen key without problem. And I still have a plug seized in the cylinder head...

This car does not want to be saved, I wonder perhaps whether I should have just let it die!

Addendum: car has done 145000m, receipt from previous owner shows gearbox rebuilt at cost of £1580 2 years ago.

Last edited by lovema75; 12th May 2013 at 16:17..
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 17:16   #20
SD1too

Quote:
Yes Simon, but not a 5.5mm attachment that will fit it, and I'm all spent out right now so can't lash out on a set to fit.
David,

According to my MG Rover Technical Instruction it's a 5.0 mm hexagon key. All you need is one of those mounted in a 3/8 drive socket (or whatever size your torque wrench is). You don't need to buy a set of anything, they are available individually. Here's one. Surely £4.95 is affordable?

Quote:
I'm not keen to use more force because I've read of some who ripped the threads out of the casing, and that would just be a disaster.
Reasonable force applied sensibly is o.k. It's when people don't know when to stop that the trouble starts. It's most likely that the plug has been just overtightened so that a short Allen key just doesn't stand a chance. Has someone forced the wrong size plug into the casing? I doubt it if a 5 mm key fits. I can't see how it can be seized because it's protected from rainwater and has 8 litres of lubricant sitting above it! I think there's a good chance that, with a bit more of a heave using the correct tool, it will release.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 12th May 2013 at 17:34..
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote