Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th October 2012, 17:33   #11
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

I remember that when i refitted the driveshafts after replacing my clutch the passenger side was a little awkward to fit into the gearbox,
as it felt it was not fully in place. When it does push fully in you can hear a firm click.
If the spring clip is missing from the spline end the driveshaft will fall out at some point......Normally when on full lock.

Hope it's a cheap fix .
Old 24th October 2012, 17:47   #12
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Driving slowly at full lock must put more outward thrust on the drive shaft than you yourself would use to pull them out of the diff with the hub off. The idea that a flimsy wire ring stops shaft detachment simply doesn't gel for me. I know lots of these clips are omitted after a shaft service because they're so difficult to replace, especially when the hub/strut are still attached (the garage way).
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 18:29   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Driving slowly at full lock must put more outward thrust on the drive shaft than you yourself would use to pull them out of the diff with the hub off. The idea that a flimsy wire ring stops shaft detachment simply doesn't gel for me. I know lots of these clips are omitted after a shaft service because they're so difficult to replace, especially when the hub/strut are still attached (the garage way).
I agree too with your diagnosis. In normal circumstances there is not enough movement to let the shaft pull right out.

Probably find something like the engine mounts are moving and increasing the engine distance from the suspension.

The circlip does virtually nowt.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 18:40   #14
markyp
Gets stuck in

MG ZT CDTI+ X-power 135

The drive shaft spring clip is not fitted to take any thrust loading, it is only to limit lateral movement of the shaft.
When the steering is on full lock the drive shaft still has an amount of lateral free travel and a spring clip at each end of the drive shaft limits this.
This means that the torque load is applied equally at both ends of the spline drive shaft.
Old 24th October 2012, 18:58   #15
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

I cannot see how turning forces when going around a corner would be transferred to the gearbox end of the shaft. The CV joint swivels around the centre point of what would be a king pin thus the shaft would not be extended just by turning forces. There is weight transfer with the outer suspension spring being compressed which will tend to straighten the shaft in relation to the gearbox, resulting in the drive shaft shortening. Conversely the inboard suspension would extend resulting in the drive shaft slightly extending. The amount of extension/contraction of the shafts is small compared with the total amount of extension/contraction built into the shaft. I can only see a defective retaining clip being the culprit with constant up and down suspension movement allowing the splines in the diff to travel.

All the drive shafts I have removed require a lever such as a very large screwdriver to release the driveshaft from the diff as the circlip must be compressed before the driveshaft will pop out.

Last edited by rover54; 24th October 2012 at 19:03..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 19:22   #16
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
I cannot see how turning forces when going around a corner would be transferred to the gearbox end of the shaft. The CV joint swivels around the centre point of what would be a king pin thus the shaft would not be extended just by turning forces. There is weight transfer with the outer suspension spring being compressed which will tend to straighten the shaft in relation to the gearbox, resulting in the drive shaft shortening. Conversely the inboard suspension would extend resulting in the drive shaft slightly extending. The amount of extension/contraction of the shafts is small compared with the total amount of extension/contraction built into the shaft. I can only see a defective retaining clip being the culprit with constant up and down suspension movement allowing the splines in the diff to travel.

All the drive shafts I have removed require a lever such as a very large screwdriver to release the driveshaft from the diff as the circlip must be compressed before the driveshaft will pop out.
Cornering makes the car roll, which is the same as normal up-down movement. Its very very common on the turbo PG-1 equipped 90s Rovers. Its happened to me 3 times! It has nothing to do with the circlip, its bearing failure. Trust me there is PLENTY of room for the shaft to drop out, indeed on 2 occasions i popped it back in with no tools as a get me home measure..

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 24th October 2012 at 20:02..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 19:59   #17
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

Update took shaft out clip was there put it back in and heard it click tried a pry bar was in solid so if it pops out again I will worry then. Looking at the other night I was tired and prob rushed putting that one in I don't remember hearing it click in so time will tell. All engine mounts are good as well as suspention
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 00:04   #18
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
Update took shaft out clip was there put it back in and heard it click tried a pry bar was in solid so if it pops out again I will worry then. Looking at the other night I was tired and prob rushed putting that one in I don't remember hearing it click in so time will tell. All engine mounts are good as well as suspention
You will been to check the oil level in your auto box. The driveshaft seals could have let transmission fluid escape when the driveshaft popped out.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 06:33   #19
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

I need to update my profile my one in the picture was wrote of and put as a cat b that's been stripped and waiting to be scrapped my.New one is a 2001 CDT tourer that's a manual in dansom red
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2012, 09:37   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Was it your old car that had the HP pump front seal go as well Craig?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote