Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2012, 11:11   #11
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Well glad to hear it. If it's not a problem then I don't need to worry about it.
Really Bob I think that's one thing that's a bit of a red herring if you're thinking of getting one.

Issue is that The Two-Sixties is closed to all apart from the public section until you've bought one and joined the MGOC. I didn't actually find it a problem myself as the guys on there are extremely helpful and friendly, however you really need to know the problem before you can ask a question about it. On several occasions I'd joined in the debate as to whether they should have a buyers guide located within the public area, but to date this has not been incorporated. I do know that several people have not joined their forum due to this issue.

A good site to have a look at it

http://www.spunagain.co.uk/

gives you some of the common issues with the V8's.

To give you a little insight I can only offer my experience of owning a Rover 75 V8 Contemporary Se auto for two years and travelling in excess of 15K in it, including a trip to the south of France and Spain.

The aircon is not really up to the job, especially at ambient temperatures above 30c. I did replace a failing heater control valve with the "Black Olive Valve" and it did return the internal cooling to something like comfortable, however there was a blast of heat from time to time, in my mind when the thermostat opened. You need to understand that the valve it situated in the plenum right in front of the pollen filter , so it's bound to happen. The Rovers are better than the ZT's in this respect as the centre vents work as they should and they also have rear console vents fitted.

Only two other issues, which could have happened to any other 75 or ZT, had a front spring break and one of the front calipers required replacement - the other had been replaced by the previous owner.

They are really nice cars, miss the one I used to have .

Best of luck for your search for one - it's always worth finding out the last three numbers of the vin and asking on The Two-Sixties as they should be able to give you some history of the car.

Cheers
Jim
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 12:50   #12
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1MBO View Post
Really Bob I think that's one thing that's a bit of a red herring if you're thinking of getting one.

Issue is that The Two-Sixties is closed to all apart from the public section until you've bought one and joined the MGOC. I didn't actually find it a problem myself as the guys on there are extremely helpful and friendly, however you really need to know the problem before you can ask a question about it. On several occasions I'd joined in the debate as to whether they should have a buyers guide located within the public area, but to date this has not been incorporated. I do know that several people have not joined their forum due to this issue.

A good site to have a look at it

http://www.spunagain.co.uk/

gives you some of the common issues with the V8's.

To give you a little insight I can only offer my experience of owning a Rover 75 V8 Contemporary Se auto for two years and travelling in excess of 15K in it, including a trip to the south of France and Spain.

The aircon is not really up to the job, especially at ambient temperatures above 30c. I did replace a failing heater control valve with the "Black Olive Valve" and it did return the internal cooling to something like comfortable, however there was a blast of heat from time to time, in my mind when the thermostat opened. You need to understand that the valve it situated in the plenum right in front of the pollen filter , so it's bound to happen. The Rovers are better than the ZT's in this respect as the centre vents work as they should and they also have rear console vents fitted.

Only two other issues, which could have happened to any other 75 or ZT, had a front spring break and one of the front calipers required replacement - the other had been replaced by the previous owner.

They are really nice cars, miss the one I used to have .

Best of luck for your search for one - it's always worth finding out the last three numbers of the vin and asking on The Two-Sixties as they should be able to give you some history of the car.

Cheers
Jim
Thanks Jim, that's very helpful. I'll ask the guy selling the black one for his vin, the Solar Red one I don't think I need to ask as everyone seems to know the car well.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 15:32   #13
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Shame I doubt you'll see another at that price.
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 20:11   #14
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

My ZTT 260 I have coverd 25k its a bit thirsty. The air con is poor temp control valve is poor. I have replaced with black olive valve improved but still very poor compared to the wife's Focus 1.8. two pinion oil seals on diff then diff failed. Replaced with s/hand diff that now shows signs of the seal going. Just replaced the alternator and the car has covered close on 80k now I still love the car to bits and will continue to use as my daily drive as long as I can afford to

good luck with your search.
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 21:27   #15
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I recently bought a Solar Red ZT-T 2004 and love the car. I had a BMW 335dSE which was remapped to over 300bhp with phenomenal torque but I much prefer my MG. You won't regret buying one, just remember they have their faults but look past them and enjoy the car. Happy hunting
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 22:05   #16
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
Shame I doubt you'll see another at that price.
Which one?
Old 15th August 2012, 22:07   #17
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleysox View Post
My ZTT 260 I have coverd 25k its a bit thirsty. The air con is poor temp control valve is poor. I have replaced with black olive valve improved but still very poor compared to the wife's Focus 1.8. two pinion oil seals on diff then diff failed. Replaced with s/hand diff that now shows signs of the seal going. Just replaced the alternator and the car has covered close on 80k now I still love the car to bits and will continue to use as my daily drive as long as I can afford to

good luck with your search.
SHHHHHH don't mention Alternators to people on here.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:55   #18
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Quote:
SHHHHHH don't mention Alternators to people on here.
What alternator

if anyone wants a 260 and can afford to run it to get a 260 is my advise as you cant take it with you just enjoy enjoy enjoy I do
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 11:10   #19
Jones_55
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Quote:
Bummer. Ah well............onward.

If you`d consider a supercharged 260 estate, theres one for sale for cheap money - altho its not an SE....I`ll try and find the link....
Jones_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 15:24   #20
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Have you seen this one? Just come on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...E:B:SS:GB:1123

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote