Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th November 2006, 13:25   #11
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Paint pencils are a tube of paint with minibrush built into the screw cap.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 20:32   #12
Keith O
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

[QUOTE=Simon W;9839]KEITH: Thanks for the 'How To'. I'll give it a shot if I can find the right colour paint. Mind you the 'scratches' I'm trying to mend are actually tiny pin-pricks - where the bobbles on the house brick have indented into the car bumper - so they're actually holes in the paint rather than scratches.

You're welcome! Sorry, you did explain they were more like pin pricks - that should makes things easier and give you a higher chance of success. Vertical surfaces are easier to work on than horizontal and the way the light falls onto the bumper should be in your favour too.
Keith O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 00:12   #13
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Go to a dealer and ask for a MUM coded touch up thingy, rather than Zircon silver, then you should get the correct part for your car.

Here it is

You need to ask for:

AWZ101080 Paint-pencil - Zircon Silver, MUM
That's what I've got already Mike - a tube of paint & a mini-brush. It's got the code AWZ 101080V printed on the packaging. The colour in the tube is nothing like the colour of the car.

(Thanks GG and Keith O).
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 10:50   #14
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
That's what I've got already Mike - a tube of paint & a mini-brush. It's got the code AWZ 101080V printed on the packaging. The colour in the tube is nothing like the colour of the car.

(Thanks GG and Keith O).
If by chance your pencil is an old one then it may be that the colour will not remix through vigorous shaking because some of it's constituent parts have solidified at the bottom. Metalic paints especially suffer from this where the metal flake sinks and does not remix.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2006, 11:23   #15
Simon W
This is my second home

I think you might be right there GG - the pencil was stashed away in the glove box and seems to have been supplied when the car was new. I'll see if I can get another one.

I still have to work out how to get the right amount of paint onto the car though. It only needs the tiniest of droplets for each 'dink'. The mini-brush puts far too much on.

PS. I've tried some Quixx Scratch Remover. It smooths out the dinks very well but obviously it can't re-paint them.

Last edited by Simon W; 26th November 2006 at 11:27..
Old 26th November 2006, 12:14   #16
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
I still have to work out how to get the right amount of paint onto the car though. It only needs the tiniest of droplets for each 'dink'. The mini-brush puts far too much on.
cocktail stick or if you have one, a Bodkin (v. Shakespearean ) both work a treat
Old 27th November 2006, 13:13   #17
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Touch Up

Quote:
KEITH: Thanks for the 'How To'. I'll give it a shot if I can find the right colour paint. Mind you the 'scratches' I'm trying to mend are actually tiny pin-pricks - where the bobbles on the house brick have indented into the car bumper - so they're actually holes in the paint rather than scratches.

MIKE: By paint stick, do you mean a kind of paint 'pen', rather than a tube with a miniature brush?

Any idea where I can buy a MUM paint stick?
There are only 2 forms of touch up. The spray (with laquer spray) and the touch up stick which is what you have (also with laquer)
I have used both and the spray is really good quality paint. I colour coded my mud flaps with it.
I have exactly the same problem as you with my 'starlight silver' paint stick. ie it dries like a darkish grey. I think it was GG that told me to put a blob on a piece of paper and take from the top of the blob as the metallic particles sink to the bottom.
The sprays were short some time ago (& I think the sticks) but maybe available again now. I find a little spray 'pool' of paint better than the paint stick for touch up. Also try taking from top of pool.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 14:34   #18
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
There are only 2 forms of touch up. The spray (with laquer spray) and the touch up stick which is what you have (also with laquer)
I have used both and the spray is really good quality paint. I colour coded my mud flaps with it.
I have exactly the same problem as you with my 'starlight silver' paint stick. ie it dries like a darkish grey. I think it was GG that told me to put a blob on a piece of paper and take from the top of the blob as the metallic particles sink to the bottom.
The sprays were short some time ago (& I think the sticks) but maybe available again now. I find a little spray 'pool' of paint better than the paint stick for touch up. Also try taking from top of pool.

Thanks Crofts, I'll try shaking the stick again for several minutes and see if the blob trick works. I have a feeling though that it'll still be too dark to match the car.

I don't have the spray version so I can't test that yet. I did think of snooping around Halfords to see if they have anything close to Zircon Silver.
Old 27th November 2006, 18:52   #19
Keith O
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

[I'll try shaking the stick again for several minutes and see if the blob trick works. I have a feeling though that it'll still be too dark to match the car.]

I don't know how old your car is but if the paint has been in the glove box oven for a year or so I'm certain it will have become too dark no matter how much shaking you give it.... :-(

[I don't have the spray version so I can't test that yet. I did think of snooping around Halfords to see if they have anything close to Zircon Silver.]

Please use the genuine paint, general universal silver won't work!

Keith.

PS : To get minimum paint in hole, hold brush below the hole at an angle ( 45 degrees?) pointing upwards, gently touch the point of the brush onto the hole and voila!
Keith O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 21:08   #20
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Hi Simon. It might be worth buying a very fine 00 000 or 0000 brush from a good model/hobby shop. Dip this in the paint it is a lot easier to control the amount and position of the paint. John.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote