Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2006, 21:03   #11
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

What's the solution Ken? Is there a way of stopping it forming - or perhaps draining it?
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 07:10   #12
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
What's the solution Ken? Is there a way of stopping it forming - or perhaps draining it?
Simon

There is no way of draining it as the bonnet covers all angles and directions it would not be possible. Stopping it in the first place seems to be the best option to me.

Since finding it two days ago I have tried two things with the weather being the same both nights.

1/ left it off = no condensation

2/ put back on = condensation

This proves its the warmth from the insulation making the underside warm while the night time temps makes the top of the bonnet cold. This confirms its the insulation causing it. At least it does to me but I am no expert in condensation. At the moment I have not tried anything to cure it but my thinking is something like a flexible underseal which will take the stresses of the bonnet opening and closing.

Eventually I am thinking of putting on a sealer and then putting back the insulation. The sealer will seal the underside paintwork against any condensation that does form but once the cold metal is covered it should not form condensation anyway. I will try different things and will get back.

Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 07:41   #13
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Ok Ken - look forward to hearing how you get on.

Mine seems to be condensing too. The engine side of the insulation has tell-tale white marks around the washer jets.
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 07:53   #14
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon W View Post
Ok Ken - look forward to hearing how you get on.

Mine seems to be condensing too. The engine side of the insulation has tell-tale white marks around the washer jets.
Its worth taking a look Simon if only to put your mind at rest. The fasteners just pop out with a wide bladed screwdriver. Only take a couple off to check as thats all it needs. If its wet take it off and dry out the insulation overnight. Its only a 5 minute job to put it back on.

The condensation is probably nothing to worry about to be honest but its one of those things that if I know its there I have to cure it :lol: or at least try

Ken
Old 11th November 2006, 09:08   #15
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I'm not sure if the spray wouldn't attack the fibre in the insulation board. I have two white areas on mine but I put that down to the washer jets leaking slightly after my travails with them. I'll have a look later today when I go and see her.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 10:14   #16
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm not sure if the spray wouldn't attack the fibre in the insulation board. I have two white areas on mine but I put that down to the washer jets leaking slightly after my travails with them. I'll have a look later today when I go and see her.
Its not fibres on mine its a thick foam type stuff. If a sealant is inert it would not be a problem but finding an inert one could prove difficult.

Anyway gives me something to do :lol:
Old 11th November 2006, 10:24   #17
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Wouild a light spray of Waxoyl with a bit extra in the frame on the bonnet underside help? If nothing else it will repel the moisture and stop it creeping. Perhaps a light spray in the foam with hot Waxoyl would be a good idea too, it may soak in and and form a barrier on the surface, meaning the water will have nowhere to go except evaporate or run out down the sides and front, and being inert it shouldn't harm the foam either. That does mean of course a bit more Waxoyl around the inner wings and slam panel though to keep the damp moving.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 10:48   #18
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Wouild a light spray of Waxoyl with a bit extra in the frame on the bonnet underside help? If nothing else it will repel the moisture and stop it creeping. Perhaps a light spray in the foam with hot Waxoyl would be a good idea too, it may soak in and and form a barrier on the surface, meaning the water will have nowhere to go except evaporate or run out down the sides and front, and being inert it shouldn't harm the foam either. That does mean of course a bit more Waxoyl around the inner wings and slam panel though to keep the damp moving.
Pete

Very good idea Pete I will follow it up this coming week.

Ken
Old 11th November 2006, 15:37   #19
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

ken i have just been reading about this and i was thinking this might help
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...=4498#post4498

just a bump
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 15:45   #20
Ken