Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th November 2008, 20:46   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybin View Post
With an increase of water volume would the pressure in the system increase and would the expansion tank we have cope??
That's a good question. An increased coolant volume means a greater expansion volume. The level in the header tank may have to be lowered from the standard 'normal' to a lower level, but it wouldn't be insurmountable.

Quote:
will the water pump cope with the amount of extra water outside of the engine and would it slow the flow down out of the engine??
The volume of coolant doesn't control the operation of the pump in any way. It will continue pump at its designed rate with zero effect on its operability. The coolant just takes slightly longer to complete a circuit, but the increased volume means it's cooler then standard anyway.

Quote:
These engines dont need extra heat near them being alloy,,so anyone with a 1.8t sit and think how much external heat is produced around the engine
The only heat getting onto the engine by radiation etc. is created by the engine anyway so it can't get any hotter. We're simply handling the thermal output better.

Quote:
look how close the exhaust and turbo are to the engine,, plus the fans blowing in heat from the rad?
Same principle. All this heat is created by the engine and is being absorbed by the larger volume of coolant so the coolant temperature will be lower. The amount of heat energy absorbed per second remains the same. The effect of heat radiated from the exhaust/turbo will be unchanged.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 21:22   #12
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

It was this bit I was thinking could be made in one piece inc the T-piece. However if you could do both the upper and lower pipe that would be great I think

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 21:33   #13
gerry3
Passed Away

rover 75 saloon

[quote=T-Cut;248609]I'm sure that's right, thanks for your comments. I guess Gerry and/or someone else, will get involved in fabricating alternatives as these limited life bits start to fail.

I have read in the forum of many plastic parts failing, the Tee being one, but because I do not know any thing about theses engines do not know what part is posible to remake in materials more suitable.
If any member knows of an item which they think could be made better than I would be willing to see what can be done.
Sending me a PM with a photo of the item would be the first thing, actual measurements could come later.

On the topic of the 1.8 water content, I think that to increase the header tank size would help but what about some thing in the way of adding an other radiator ?. By this I mean a heater type matrix from a scrap car and fitting it into the cooling system complete with its own fan wired into the existing fan.
I did think of doing some thing like this on an other car I owned but due to old age(me) I never got round to it.
This is just me thinking out loud but I am sure that some one will think of some thing better, but lets have some ideas no matter how silly they may seem.

Gerry3
gerry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 21:56   #14
stevemac
This is my second home

[QUOTE=gerry3;248821]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I'm sure that's right, thanks for your comments. I guess Gerry and/or someone else, will get involved in fabricating alternatives as these limited life bits start to fail.

I have read in the forum of many plastic parts failing, the Tee being one, but because I do not know any thing about theses engines do not know what part is posible to remake in materials more suitable.
If any member knows of an item which they think could be made better than I would be willing to see what can be done.
Sending me a PM with a photo of the item would be the first thing, actual measurements could come later.

On the topic of the 1.8 water content, I think that to increase the header tank size would help but what about some thing in the way of adding an other radiator ?. By this I mean a heater type matrix from a scrap car and fitting it into the cooling system complete with its own fan wired into the existing fan.
I did think of doing some thing like this on an other car I owned but due to old age(me) I never got round to it.
This is just me thinking out loud but I am sure that some one will think of some thing better, but lets have some ideas no matter how silly they may seem.

Gerry3
Hey Gerry, good to see you back on the forum. The t-piece is working great Now if you could just fabricate this pipe...........

Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 4th November 2008, 22:37   #15
gerry3
Passed Away

rover 75 saloon

[quote=stevemac;248830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry3 View Post

Hey Gerry, good to see you back on the forum. The t-piece is working great Now if you could just fabricate this pipe...........
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear the Tee is up to expectations.
I look at the forum every day but not knowing a lot I do not post any thing.

Looking at the drawing of the cooling system at least I now know were the Tee fitt's. Also of how you think about increasing the water contents of the system.The problem in most cases is the cost of producing the parts,though, like the Tee, would be a one off job.
I will need to have a longer think about the problem but will let you know what I think later.

many thanks to all who contribute to this great club.

Gerry3
gerry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 23:08   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post

It was this bit I was thinking could be made in one piece inc the T-piece. However if you could do both the upper and lower pipe that would be great I think
I think you'd have to be careful modifying the bore on that section, because it would change (reduce) the flow rate. That might have a negative effect on the flow rate through the turbo cooling circuit. The small bore tapping will be designed to have the necessary flow rate based on the rate going through the standard T-piece. However, changing the bores either side of the T would probably be OK.

I noticed this 2.5"/63mm bore silicone hose on eBay. I think something like that would make an ideal modification. It looks like it would bend enough to go all the way around the radiator bottom to the PRT. Whether there's room remains as yet unknown.

Clicky to eBay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-63mm-ID-x...3A1|240%3A1318

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 23:13   #17
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

What I always used to do, was turn the heater to maximum heat, on first start up from cold, then nurse the car for 15 - 20 minutes. I convinced myself that the engine would warm up more evenly this way and cause less shock when the thermostat opened.
Old 5th November 2008, 04:37   #18
stevemac
This is my second home

[QUOTE=gerry3;248845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post

I look at the forum every day but not knowing a lot I do not post any thing.

Gerry3
You mean you don't spam like everyone else!!!

Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 5th November 2008, 05:56   #19
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybin View Post
With an increase of water volume would the pressure in the system increase and would the expansion tank we have cope??,,will the water pump cope with the amount of extra water outside of the engine and would it slow the flow down out of the engine?? These engines dont need extra heat near them being alloy,,so anyone with a 1.8t sit and think how much external heat is produced around the engine,,look how close the exhaust and turbo are to the engine,, plus the fans blowing in heat from the rad?
1. The extra volume of water has no effect on the pressure, that is determined by temperature and the release pressure of the cap.
2. The water pump will do what it normally does, it will not affect it at all.
3. The extra water around the engine will only have an effect if it slows cooling air around the engine. I think it is minimal so as to be of no consequence at all.
The net effect of extra water in the system, is mainly as a buffer for loss of water. If the extra water is not cooled actively, it will not increase the cooling by much, simply just a bit more cooling owing to larger surfaces. If you want to increase cooling a larger radiator is required, or a longer time in the radiator or a bigger temperature over the radiator.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 08:11   #20
stevemac
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
, or a longer time in the radiator or a bigger temperature over the radiator.
If the pump has a fixed capacity does more volume mean it would travel slower through the rad.

Winnie-the-Pooh