Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th December 2015, 13:02   #11
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Hi Ched, where that tiny pipe comes into the neck of the expansion tank, there is another tiny orifice below it which vents into the tank, and not the neck, make sure that is clear too ( one cannot see it).
Well I didn't know that, many thanks.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 15:07   #12
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

There could be a couple of unrelated issues here.

One is an issue of insufficient cooling, it seems.
That is caused by either too little flow or too little coolant, providing the brake is not on, the engine is not running lean etc.

The low flow will either be a blockage, most likely a stuck thermostat, or some foreign matter obstructing the flow.

Two would be a lack of cooling fluid. The low coolant seems less likely, (since this is the focus of the op) but could be an air-lock, but whatever, there would then need to be a leak.

Whatever the problem, the temperature of the coolant should not go much above 90 degrees in the UK, if your car is moving at anything more than 25 mph I would say.

If in stop start traffic, it can go higher, and the fan should keep things under control.

If your car is overheating on the open road, and you have not lost a significant amount of coolant, I would replace the thermostat as a first step.

But maybe even before that, fit a pressure gauge to the cooling system. If you read anything higher than about 1.4 Bar without getting high temperatures (well over 100 degrees) it is exhaust gases. If not, replace the thermostat.
(I assume the cooling system is OK, that the radiator is not an old second hand unit.)
Old 29th December 2015, 16:21   #13
Ched

Thanks Kaiser, will post my findings, if any 😀
Old 29th December 2015, 16:54   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
where that tiny pipe comes into the neck of the expansion tank, there is another tiny orifice below it which vents into the tank, and not the neck, make sure that is clear too ( one cannot see it).
A view from inside the header tank. The two vents are arrowed. The visible vent hole (1) is very small (2-3mm). The internal vent hole (2) has the same bore as the bleed hose (about 5mm).

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 17:02   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
There could be a couple of unrelated issues here.

One is an issue of insufficient cooling, it seems.
That is caused by either too little flow or too little coolant, providing the brake is not on, the engine is not running lean etc.

The low flow will either be a blockage, most likely a stuck thermostat, or some foreign matter obstructing the flow.

Two would be a lack of cooling fluid. The low coolant seems less likely, (since this is the focus of the op) but could be an air-lock, but whatever, there would then need to be a leak.

Whatever the problem, the temperature of the coolant should not go much above 90 degrees in the UK, if your car is moving at anything more than 25 mph I would say.

If in stop start traffic, it can go higher, and the fan should keep things under control.

If your car is overheating on the open road, and you have not lost a significant amount of coolant, I would replace the thermostat as a first step.

But maybe even before that, fit a pressure gauge to the cooling system. If you read anything higher than about 1.4 Bar without getting high temperatures (well over 100 degrees) it is exhaust gases. If not, replace the thermostat.
(I assume the cooling system is OK, that the radiator is not an old second hand unit.)
Absolutely brilliant post. 100% spot on and one to follow
Old 1st January 2016, 12:23   #16
Ched

I have noticed apart from the pic that T cut put up I cannot find another pic with reference to a second hole in the neck, and that includes pictures on here, mine has one hole and so does the spare one I have, no sign whatsoever of a second hole

At some stage then was it omitted, does it matter if its not there ?

There is no coolant whatsoever coming from the small pipe to tank, sat and watched till level started to rise, the pipes are clear of any obstruction as is the hole in the neck.
Old 1st January 2016, 18:06   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
There is no coolant whatsoever coming from the small pipe to tank ....
Well there should be Ched! That's the bleed hose from the top of the radiator and the left-hand bank. You say that you've filled and bled the system according to the MG Rover procedure. This, coupled with your other symptoms, match those experienced by other members who have discovered that K-seal has been added at some stage of their car's life.

I'd recommend that you remove the small diameter bleed hose to find out where the blockage is.

Simon
Old 1st January 2016, 18:16   #18
Ched

Thanks Simon ,I don't know if it helps but I've blown down this pipe and the one that comes off the t piece, and its not blocked ,I can also vouch 100% that there is not k seal or the like in the cooling system.
I'll be bleeding it again tomorrow so I'll post up my findings.
Old 1st January 2016, 18:40   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
... I don't know if it helps but I've blown down this pipe and the one that comes off the t piece, and its not blocked ...
The blockage, if there is one, may not be in the hose. It may be in the radiator or the left-hand bank.
Quote:
I can also vouch 100% that there is not k seal or the like in the cooling system.
Have you had the car from new then? And never taken it to a garage?

Simon
Old 1st January 2016, 18:47   #20
Ched

I replaced the engine Simon, together with a variety of hoses and put a hospipe through the matrix and rad, the replacement engine had not long had nearly a £1000 spent on it replacing the thermo and belts , and in the 3 years I've had her I'm the only person that does her maintenance

Last edited by Ched; 1st January 2016 at 18:50..