Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2015, 19:22   #11
mamasboy
RS South East

Ford fester... blah....

welcome along. You may be the current youngest but we did have a member who was 14 when he joined:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=150866
Old 19th March 2015, 19:23   #12
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Welcome. What a refreshing change to have someone under the age of 400 on the forum.

My advice would be to find a car you like and ask if any local members can view it with you. I'm sure there will be more than one how will be happy to help.

Enjoy.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:25   #13
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Hi and welcome, I would worry more about what your insurance would be for both engine choice's and the premium any mods you intend to do to them. There is a third choice the 1.8, this would give you the cheapest insurance. Once you have your no claims bonus protected you can start having fun tinkering with the 1.8T which can go up to 203 bhp.
The Diesel can go up to 160 bhp at the moment. Good luck with your search and looking forward to your future ownership through this great club.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:36   #14
MJx220
Avid contributor

ZT 131+ CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Hi and welcome to the club Michael.

I enjoyed reading your introduction, you certainly seem a very grown up young lad.

You may like a MG ZT, seems to tick the boxes (same shape as a 75, but more sporty).

Good luck in your search, couple of pointers for you...

1. Just make sure clutch feels good, no vibration when pulling away.
2. Check under oil cap for light brown creamy substance, maybe signs of HG failure.
3. Check water and oil levels.
4. Look down via top of engine cover, check for pink staining, leaky thermostat.
5. Check large radiator fan is working, just switch on the window demist function.
6. Check driver side electric window operates as it should.
7. Check bonnet opens easily, twin cable junction box mod.
8. Check in boot for damp carpets, easy fix.
9. Check plenum drains for debris, rubber tubes in engine bay at each corner of windscreen/wing area. Once again an easy fix.

thank you very much dallas! much appreciated!
i looked at the ZT but the insurance is pretty much double

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Have a read through this, it might help http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=75282
ive read it twice, its brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulym View Post
Hi There

Last couple of point will make for a good negotiation point when you do come to buy

Best of luck with your search for one and I am sure you will find members local to you that will assist with looking over when you come to buy

Right lads?

ATB
thank you paulym i have a budget of about £1k-£1.5K so ill bear it in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasboy View Post
welcome along. You may be the current youngest but we did have a member who was 14 when he joined:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=150866
wow! thats very young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Welcome. What a refreshing change to have someone under the age of 400 on the forum.

My advice would be to find a car you like and ask if any local members can view it with you. I'm sure there will be more than one how will be happy to help.

Enjoy.
thanks jonathan! not laughed that hard all week!

that would be great! its just knowing whose close by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
Hi and welcome, I would worry more about what your insurance would be for both engine choice's and the premium any mods you intend to do to them. There is a third choice the 1.8, this would give you the cheapest insurance. Once you have your no claims bonus protected you can start having fun tinkering with the 1.8T which can go up to 203 bhp.
The Diesel can go up to 160 bhp at the moment. Good luck with your search and looking forward to your future ownership through this great club.
i have had a look at insurance and the difference between the 3 above mentioned engines is pretty marginal, all £2,500 - £2,700 a year

forgive my young arrogance, but how can a 2 litre engine only give 160 horses when a 1.8T can give 203? is it the turbo doing most of the work?

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd March 2015 at 00:29.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
MJx220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:41   #15
Sidetops
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Nice introduction, and a warm welcome to you Michael. Everything you need to know about these brilliant cars is here
Sidetops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:42   #16
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Personally, I like the diesels, they can be mapped to 160bhp. the 1.8T's can be pushed to 177 I believe..
Oh for goodness sake, not someone else suggesting that a 17 year old buys an already beefy car then suggests to remap it! Just pointing out that whilst it can be done, your insurance will be null and void if you do it unless you inform the insurance company; if you buy a car that'#s been remapped and don't inform the insurance company your insurance will also be null and void (even if there's no way of knowing if it's been done) and if you are 17 and get your car remapped noone will touch you with insurance.

Just sayin, like.

Apart from that, these cars have much to commend them. If you want cream leather with piping go for the Connoisseur model (even better SE as it has parking sensors which are really useful for a new driver). Most Rover 75 leather seats came in black or cream, a few came in sea green, burgundy, dark blue and a handful came in Arizona tan or mid blue leather. The Contemporary version of the 75 was more similar to the MG ZT seats but pretty much all were in black.

Enjoy!
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:49   #17
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJx220 View Post
i have had a look at insurance and the difference between the 3 above mentioned engines is pretty marginal, all £2,500 - £2,700 a year

forgive my young arrogance, but how can a 2 litre engine only give 160 horses when a 1.8T can give 203? is it the turbo doing most of the work?
Welcome.

It's down to how the engine is set up and how it's managed by the onboard computer. The 1.8T standard is 150bhp in the Rover 75 but can be tuned quote effectively well above this - some people have had it over 230bhp and one person on this forum is trying to get it over 500bhp!

The 2 litre engine (assuming you mean the v6) is a different set up which isn't quite as easy to tune up the bhp due to the configuration within the engine and computer running it.
Old 19th March 2015, 19:53   #18
MJx220
Avid contributor

ZT 131+ CDTi

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
Oh for goodness sake, not someone else suggesting that a 17 year old buys an already beefy car then suggests to remap it! Just pointing out that whilst it can be done, your insurance will be null and void if you do it unless you inform the insurance company; if you buy a car that'#s been remapped and don't inform the insurance company your insurance will also be null and void (even if there's no way of knowing if it's been done) and if you are 17 and get your car remapped noone will touch you with insurance.

Just sayin, like.

Apart from that, these cars have much to commend them. If you want cream leather with piping go for the Connoisseur model (even better SE as it has parking sensors which are really useful for a new driver). Most Rover 75 leather seats came in black or cream, a few came in sea green, burgundy, dark blue and a handful came in Arizona tan or mid blue leather. The Contemporary version of the 75 was more similar to the MG ZT seats but pretty much all were in black.

Enjoy!

trust me, I wont be remapping quite yet! but itd be nice to get an engine with good MPG that still has some play in it to remap later on in ownership!

burgundy leather... i would be in love!

im still not sure on the trim levels and which is better than the other etc etc, help with that would be appreciated but im sure i should start a new thread for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiron_myth View Post
Welcome.

It's down to how the engine is set up and how it's managed by the onboard computer. The 1.8T standard is 150bhp in the Rover 75 but can be tuned quote effectively well above this - some people have had it over 230bhp and one person on this forum is trying to get it over 500bhp!

The 2 litre engine (assuming you mean the v6) is a different set up which isn't quite as easy to tune up the bhp due to the configuration within the engine and computer running it.
woah... 500 sweet ponies coming out a 1.8T how is that possible !?
my dad has a 6.75 V8 Turbo-R which only makes 328 BHP

I was meaning the diesel 2 litre whichever that is

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd March 2015 at 00:29.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
MJx220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:57   #19
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Here's tuppence, despite the danger of head gasket failure on the 1.8 it's probably the cheapest engine to run long term. Not as thirsty as the v6's and a lot less to go wrong than on the diesel. A 1.8 turbo comes with the same power as a mapped diesel - just make sure to warm it up properly before giving it a foot to the floor, and let it cool down properly after doing that before switching off.

The only advantages to the diesel are torque - if you want to pull up tree stumps or do any heavy or prolonged towing, and mpg - but the mpg is offset by the higher cost of repairs and maintenance on the engine somewhat. To buy one just because of the mpg you really must be doing high mileage to make the extra purchase cost and maintenance worthwhile. Or just really enjoy driving a diesel, it is quite different to driving a petrol engine.

As a new driver you may find the insurance cost on the 1.8t is a lot higher than the diesel though. But don't expect the diesel insurance to stay cheap if you go down the remap route with it.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 19:58   #20
chiron_myth
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I think the diesel is 135bhp as standard (I'm sure somebody on here will correct me if I'm wrong), but it's very easily tuned up to 160bhp - I think!!