Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd January 2016, 09:01   #11
BathRover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
In addition, it could be an option to power the standard speakers on a modern head unit and just add a sub and 2 channel amp
that's exactly what I've done and I'm pretty pleased with the results, got a fairly cheap pioneer head unit (~£50) from Halfrauds and a fascia adapter from a local scrappy, it was easy to install and made a massive difference, I then got a "mystery 12" bass box deal" from caraudiocentre.co.uk and a cheap wiring kit and now I blast sick choones innit. But seriously adding a dedicated sub made a massive difference again, you have to play with the HPF on the headunit and the amp controls on the sub to get it sounding right. The boot on the saloon is pretty well insulated so I have to have the sub on pretty loud to get the full affect and it sounds better with the rear seats folded down, but you won't have that problem on the tourer
BathRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:01   #12
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
The HK can only function to its potential when it's amplified right. If you can find the HK amp that matches your car (there are 4 versions of amp) then the wiring isn't too difficult to.
Jakg has a good How To for installing the full HK into non Highline cars, and I have wrote a How To for retrofitting it into cars with the Highline system.

There are other options, it's less hassle to just buy a dedicated 4 channel amp and a good pair of components for the front doors. The internal amplifiers on a modern head unit will out perform the HK in many respects but it does all depend what you listen to.
I did fit the Range Rover HK door speakers as they have the same codes as our cars, thinking this was related to the phasing. I've tried all sorts and the best sound results are from modern amp and components rather than retrofitting HK

In addition, it could be an option to power the standard speakers on a modern head unit and just add a sub and 2 channel amp
Cheers for the advice Alan,

I would like a HK set up as it was original equipment offered as an optional extra to our cars so doing a retro fit would be more authentic but I think that the aftermarket route is now the best option for ICE/sounds in the modern day so I'll have a look at my options.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:04   #13
Walter
Posted a thing or two

zebadee

Talking Vent on back parcel shelf

You could cut vent in back parcel shelf, same as HK sub, let some more noise into car on saloon models
Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:06   #14
BathRover
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

One thing I haven't tried is just driving with the ski hatch open, that would be preferable to cutting!
BathRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:07   #15
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BathRover View Post
that's exactly what I've done and I'm pretty pleased with the results, got a fairly cheap pioneer head unit (~£50) from Halfrauds and a fascia adapter from a local scrappy, it was easy to install and made a massive difference, I then got a "mystery 12" bass box deal" from caraudiocentre.co.uk and a cheap wiring kit and now I blast sick choones innit. But seriously adding a dedicated sub made a massive difference again, you have to play with the HPF on the headunit and the amp controls on the sub to get it sounding right. The boot on the saloon is pretty well insulated so I have to have the sub on pretty loud to get the full affect and it sounds better with the rear seats folded down, but you won't have that problem on the tourer
I think this is the route I'll be going down to be honest....I've already swapped out my old Kenwood headunit for a Sony one so all I need is some upgraded speakers, an amp, a sub and a wiring kit. Gonna be a nice little project for the summer lol.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote