Notices

Old 6th February 2019, 12:31   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75RogP View Post
I’ve got a couple of rental houses which by law must have a fire alarm on each floor and CO alarm where appropriate. Went to test the alarms in one house and the fire alarm in the sitting room wasn’t working. Opened it to change the battery and no battery. Asked the tenant if he had removed the battery and he said he needed it for his remote control! Fortunately he has moved on.
Ye Gods. Some folk have no brains.

Have to fight regularly with my wife. She wants the detectors out of the house because they annoy her sometimes when she's cooking.----

I've hidden them where she can't find them but they still go off.--

Our central heating boiler is no problem as it's housed in an outside building.-----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 18:22   #12
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Here is a scary story for non believers of co and smoke detectors. My ex would always pack a CO detector in her bag if we went away.

We went to stay with her sister one weekend and as soon as we arrived the sensor went off. I checked the battery and it seemed OK. She got very nervous and I opened the window in our room and it stopped going off.

We slept with the window open and the following day I shut the window and within 20 mins it was going off again.

She told her sister who booked an emergency visit from a gas engineer, the boiler had a fault and a leak in the chimney.

The scary part was her sister had a CO detector and her husband had pulled the battery because it kept going off.
My God that IS scary!!

Excellent advice regarding taking your own detectors on holiday. Only problem we had is at the airport. We take them as hand luggage and show them as we go through. It can cause an issue but not a lot.

But with the reports of defects found at some holiday locations - this is a very sensible precaution.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 19:12   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75RogP View Post
I’ve got a couple of rental houses which by law must have a fire alarm on each floor and CO alarm where appropriate. Went to test the alarms in one house and the fire alarm in the sitting room wasn’t working. Opened it to change the battery and no battery. Asked the tenant if he had removed the battery and he said he needed it for his remote control! Fortunately he has moved on.
and if there had been a fire and he died goodness knows where that would have left you?

The remote over safety? ye gods and little fishes

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2019, 14:52   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Staffordshire Police have arrested a 24 year old woman and 28 year old man on suspicion of manslaughter by gross negligence. Just happens to be the ages of the mother and her partner

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote