Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2017, 23:32   #11
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Can the clip posts absolutely NOT be bent slightly to come out, is the consensus that they 100% need the heads cut?
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 04:44   #12
steveo

None

Default Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
Hi Guys

I already knew I had dodgy sunroof drains, and as soon as I can drive a fellow member is going to help me with this, but my boot also has water in the N/S corner. I know where to seal the side clips, but it looks to be coming from higher up. (Light seal already replaced by a previous owner)

I am thinking its the back window, as this is also steaming up at night.

I've heard the creeping crack cure stuff is good, but could someone show me IN PICTURES where to run the sealant for both the back window and boot hinge? I am useless when it comes to understanding descriptions, and pictures speak a 1000 words.

Hopefully it won't require too much acrobatics on my part, as I still can't move properly or stretch much after the op.

Thanks in advance

Dawn
Hi Dawn
As mentioned in the pm
The rear window will steam up as you are getting water in the boot ! The car has been parked nose down so it is possible for the water to run into the foot wells . I have messaged a member to see if he knows anyone near Ilkeston and if the message comes back no then I will drive over and have a look for you .
You mentioned the sunroof and as a temporary fix it requires a good quality tape 2" wide to seal the leak but you need to be careful the tape doesn't pull the paint off when the roof is repaired (I have a complete sunroof you can have for free if required for spares )
I would not do anything with the window until I had checked the light seals and the boot rubber !
As mentioned earlier if the boot carpet is pulled back under the rear light cluster if you can see water or your fingers are wet when you wipe under the lights (in the boot ) the seals are leaking.
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 06:29   #13
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Hi Steve

Thank you for trying to help. I did manage to pull back the carpet and there was a large pool of water n/s. I soaked some up with kitchen towels, but in my current condition I cant take out the spare to check the wheel well. The water is pooling in the section behind the light, but when I opened the boot water was dripping from above, so I don't think it is as simple as the seal. Also, the cars history file shows the seal was replaced 2014, so this is obviously an ongoing thing. ��
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 12:20   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi Dawn
As mentioned in the pm
The rear window will steam up as you are getting water in the boot ! The car has been parked nose down so it is possible for the water to run into the foot wells . I have messaged a member to see if he knows anyone near Ilkeston and if the message comes back no then I will drive over and have a look for you .
Quote:
You mentioned the sunroof and as a temporary fix it requires a good quality tape 2" wide to seal the leak but you need to be careful the tape doesn't pull the paint off when the roof is repaired (I have a complete sunroof you can have for free if required for spares )
I would not do anything with the window until I had checked the light seals and the boot rubber !
As mentioned earlier if the boot carpet is pulled back under the rear light cluster if you can see water or your fingers are wet when you wipe under the lights (in the boot ) the seals are leaking.
Regards
Steve
What needs to be done is the sunroof drains, I know you are in no condition to do it, if Steve come to help he could do the drains for you, remembering to snip off the outlet tubes under the wheel arch after.

Link below for him to follow.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=118622

The rear sunroof drains on a saloon are really easy and will take no more than 10 minutes, you can use the nozzle of a bath sealant tube, as Dallas did.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...&postcount=228

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 18:10   #15
steveo

None

Hi Dawn
Do you want me to try and book some time off to clear the drains ?
Regards
Steve
Old 9th February 2017, 18:15   #16
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

NOOOOOOOO! You mustn't book time off work for me! I really do appreciate it, but that would be so unfair. I couldn't ask you to do that. It will get sorted. It must have been doing it awhile if it had that light seal in 2014, so I guess another 4-5 weeks won't hurt.

Thank you so much for offering. I am already indebted to you and Wendy for all your support

Dawn
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 19:00   #17
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Ive got a question about the original rear window seal thread if anyone knows...

TWO of the rear clips with the round pins in have yellow plastic/Rubber on them and look to "support" the rear windscreen. Can these ALSO be removed using the pin trim method detailed in the thread, OR are they stuck in place, and you can only remove the black ones?
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2017, 23:38   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Sadly I don't know of anyone in your area who could come to your assistance Dawn.

If I were closer I'd have a look see for you, but you're a long way away, and I'm flat out with work (not car related) at the moment.

If it's any consolation, Mrs MB's car is currently suffering in the same manner, and I've removed all of the boot lining and spare wheel simply to keep everything perishable dry, and simply drying out the boot on a regular basis.

My suspect is the rear window lower trim clip seals, and it's pointless as mentioned earlier in the thread, applying captain Tolley's creeping crack cure in the temperatures we are experiencing at the moment.

Best of luck

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 06:36   #19
steveo

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
NOOOOOOOO! You mustn't book time off work for me! I really do appreciate it, but that would be so unfair. I couldn't ask you to do that. It will get sorted. It must have been doing it awhile if it had that light seal in 2014, so I guess another 4-5 weeks won't hurt.

Thank you so much for offering. I am already indebted to you and Wendy for all your support

Dawn
Hi Dawn
No problem
Happy to help but it's up to you !
It won't solve the sunroof problem but just make sure the the car is parked with the front higher than the back if possible to prevent anymore water running into the footwells .
I have had a few light seals that have been repaired but found them still to be letting water in.
One of the issues I found was the bodywork of the car where the seal sits was not square / parallel causing the seal not to fit flat to the body causing leaks.
The leak could also be the waist trim (chrome )these are fixed in the boot with plastic nuts that come loose over time (they also have a seal to prevent water ingress) easy fix

Edit
It's possible the water on the boot lid is just condensation caused by the light seal or waist trim

Take care as always

Health

I know it's easy for people to tell you things will be ok when it's not happening to them but we know how much of a relief it is for you. We just sat and cried !!

Kind regards
Steve/Wendy

Last edited by steveo; 10th February 2017 at 07:07..