Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2011, 21:55   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Most likely to be CV Joints as others have said.

Unlikely to be dampers - if it was 50% of cars on the road would be experiencing this sort of thing (as the average Joe never changes them).
Worn CV joints don't make the wheels jump up and down.

They also click very loudly when going around corners.

The ball bearings in the joint track across a dent in the center of the track which is where they wear first. As the bearing crosses the dent it makes a loud CLICK. Why should something like that make the wheels bounce ???

Unless of course the noise scares them !! ( This is meant to be a JOKE !! Sorry. )

PS. The average Joe would probably not even notice. ( This is meant to be a FACT. Think on it. )Lol.

Last edited by COLVERT; 25th December 2011 at 21:43..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 19:38   #12
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

Not sure what your point is Colvert. People here are trying to give some constructive advice to someone who has a problem with their 75. And hopefully save them some money. Which is the point of this forum, I thought?
Not sure where you are coming from.
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 21:32   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashiel View Post
Not sure what your point is Colvert. People here are trying to give some constructive advice to someone who has a problem with their 75. And hopefully save them some money. Which is the point of this forum, I thought?
Not sure where you are coming from.
My point is to try and help, always is and always will be.

I am 'coming from' as you put it with over 55 years of mechanical engineering design ( including guided missiles ) and development with cars as a private pastime.

What I say in posts is my own opinion which may or may not be correct in all cases. However we all never stop learning throughout our lives.

In the nearly three thousand of posts I have made on here I have asked for help no more than three times.

I enjoy the people's company on here and I also enjoy helping others to save their hard earned money if possible.

If you care to go through the posts asking for technical help you will see what I say is true.

I have also posted about 5,000 times on .ORG with exactly the same reason to help others when and if I can. ( Look over there too. )

If my post in this thread has upset you then I'm sorry.

I'll finish by wishing you and yours a Merry Xmas and A happy and prosperous new year.

Colvert.

Old 25th December 2011, 21:46   #14
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Dashiel.

I've added a bit to post 11 to try and clarify it.

Old 26th December 2011, 08:43   #15
Dashiel
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V6 2.0 Club Tourer LPG

No offense taken
i would suggest to the original poster get the car up on stands and try the usual tests with moving the front wheels about you may need someone to have someone move the steering wheel about. any movement in the driveshaft etc should become apparent.
then if you dlnt find anything start looking a t other things. to propely look at a damper involves removal. not nice. and genuine dampers are expensive too.
im just trying to save poster time and money. end of.

Last edited by Dashiel; 26th December 2011 at 10:26..
Dashiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2011, 20:36   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I would suggest CV joints too. Jack the wheels up one at a time, put on full lock and turn the road wheel - see if you can hear any noise.
Hi, Harry.

I think to hear worn CV joints at their noisiest best is to find a nice big empty car park and drive slowly in circles.

They need a load on them to make them click.

The ball bearings are then FORCED in and out of the worn section and this ,of course, is where the noise comes from.

Colv.
Old 27th December 2011, 21:31   #17
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Thanks to all for their advice, I'm afraid I just haven't had time recently to look at this, hope to do so in the next few days.

Not had any clicking that I have noticed, but will have to do some turning on full lock with the window down to be sure.

And the ride doesn't really feel crashy, still far better than any other cars I have ridden in.

Hopefully some thorough investigation will show what's at fault, just need to get around to it.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 08:56   #18
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

i would say it is an engine mount that has gone .... just rock the engine back and forward, it shouldnt move that easy ...
Old 28th December 2011, 13:29   #19
Bolin
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
i would say it is an engine mount that has gone .... just rock the engine back and forward, it shouldnt move that easy ...
Could the left/right upper mounts and hydramount cause these symptoms? Lower one was replaced earlier this year.
Old 28th December 2011, 22:02   #20
Bolin
This is my second home

Well, I've done the quiet empty car park bit, going slowly and going quickly, both on full lock to both sides. The only clicking was the inlet manifold I think, sounds like it's getting worse

I didn't notice any clicking that came on with driving the car about on full lock.

I did push down on the front wings, above the wheels, but I wouldn't say that it sprang back up fairly slowly, but it does depend on the definition of 'fairly slowly'. It didn't appear to keep the same pace as my hand upon the springing back up.

I'd be surprised if it was the dampers, as the ride is far better than any other car I have been in recently, I'd have thought that if the front dampers were kaput then the ride would be very crashy, even though the ride, when all is OK, is that much better than most cars.

I need to get the car up on ramps and have a feel. If it was CV joints failing, and this thumping was present before the MoT (I'm absolutely sure it was) then surely it would have been spotted (mind you I do wonder with my local garage!).