Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th March 2018, 23:05   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofadriver75 View Post
... it has only 22 000 on the milege but the age is 04 so should I put a new timing belt on it ...
Hello Sarah,

You have raised a contentious subject here which has been debated many times on the forum. My answer to your question is no, you do not need to renew the timing belts until the engine has covered 90,000 miles. In saying that, I am putting my money where my mouth is. I am just about to change my timing belts for the first time in my car's life. It was built in 1999!

The reason that MG Rover specified the six year period is commercial. The average mileage of Rover owners was set at 15,000 miles (to equal manufacturers in competition with Rover). That's when the engine oil is changed. The life of the timing belts is 90,000 miles so it was calculated that drivers would reach this mileage after six years. Of course this is unrealistic because people's actual annual mileage varies enormously. For example, a driver who covers 10,000 miles p.a. will be safe for nine years. It is therefore the mileage which you should observe not the six year period which is meaningless.

I changed the timing belt on one of my other cars at the manufacturer's specified mileage (the time period had been exceeded). When removed it was indistinguishable from a new one. There was no sign of deterioration whatsoever.

You have the evidence, now the decision is yours.

Simon
Old 14th March 2018, 00:22   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Sarah,

You have raised a contentious subject here which has been debated many times on the forum. My answer to your question is no, you do not need to renew the timing belts until the engine has covered 90,000 miles. In saying that, I am putting my money where my mouth is. I am just about to change my timing belts for the first time in my car's life. It was built in 1999!

The reason that MG Rover specified the six year period is commercial. The average mileage of Rover owners was set at 15,000 miles (to equal manufacturers in competition with Rover). That's when the engine oil is changed. The life of the timing belts is 90,000 miles so it was calculated that drivers would reach this mileage after six years. Of course this is unrealistic because people's actual annual mileage varies enormously. For example, a driver who covers 10,000 miles p.a. will be safe for nine years. It is therefore the mileage which you should observe not the six year period which is meaningless.

I changed the timing belt on one of my other cars at the manufacturer's specified mileage (the time period had been exceeded). When removed it was indistinguishable from a new one. There was no sign of deterioration whatsoever.

You have the evidence, now the decision is yours.

Simon

What utter nonsense Simon, what evidence are you referring to?, anecdotal I suspect based upon your rather limited experience in this field, which can lead unsuspecting owners to make very poor maintenance choices based upon your quite frankly in this case dangerous opinion

As a word of advice to the OP, I would based upon time expiry alone seriously consider having the belts changed by a competent person, using quality parts if you are in any way shape or form thinking of keeping the car long term.

If it is simply a cheap runaround, then no don't bother having them done, but be aware that if they fail the engine will most likely be rendered scrap.

I make a point of every new car that I purchase that the timing belt(s) and auxiliary belts are changed before using the car in earnest, however I am not paying labour charges, but simply parts, so the cost compared to vehicular worth ratio is very different

Anyway don't let my ramblings get in the way of you enjoying your car

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 05:50   #13
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Timing belts are due to be changed on a pre set age or mileage whichever comes first. This topic comes up a lot and if it was a commercial decision would all manufacturers cam belt changes not be at the same age / mileage rather than manufacturers having different schedules? 90,000 miles or 6 years old whichever comes first is the recommended change point that I personally would advise and stick to. However, I’ve only been in the motor trade 31 years, 18 years with MGR so the choice is yours.....

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 05:53   #14
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazyerma View Post
Out of interest, has anyone had a low mileage but old belt snap on them?

I just replace my belts on my Ducati, after 4 years but with only 2000 miles on them and I think I might have just wasted money looking at them!

(They are supposed to be replaced every 2 years or 12400 miles)

They may look good but over time the belt hardens and degrades, which is why there’s an interval as well as mileage..

Tyres are another example, they may have loads of tread but the rubber degrades and hardens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 14:06   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:

I just replace my belts on my Ducati, after 4 years but with only 2000 miles on them and I think I might have just wasted money looking at them!

(They are supposed to be replaced every 2 years or 12400 miles)
DUCATI--??????????????--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 14:14   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

I do agree with the time/age limits.

Engines with failed timing belts look such a MESS.

The damage also dents your wallet quite badly.----
Old 15th March 2018, 07:26   #17
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

With reference to recent posts reiterating the official line but providing no substantive evidence in support of it:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Good question
Anyone ?
Do I hear the sound of leaves blowing down a deserted street?

Simon
Old 15th March 2018, 12:45   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
With reference to recent posts reiterating the official line but providing no substantive evidence in support of it:

Do I hear the sound of leaves blowing down a deserted street?

Simon
Yes, below the mileage change interval, but in excess of the time interval

In this case, an early 190, the damage was fortunately limited to eight bent valves, however given the choice between stripping a head replacing valves then refitting with new belts, tensioner and water pump, and performing the correct planned preventative maintenance, I know what I'd be doing, and no it would be advising other owners that I was simply fortunate that the inevitable hasn't happened yet

Simon you should count yourself as very lucky, doing things by halves, nay thirds in this case

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 13:07   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, below the mileage change interval, but in excess of the time interval

In this case, an early 190, the damage was fortunately limited to eight bent valves, however given the choice between stripping a head replacing valves then refitting with new belts, tensioner and water pump, and performing the correct planned preventative maintenance, I know what I'd be doing, and no it would be advising other owners that I was simply fortunate that the inevitable hasn't happened yet

Simon you should count yourself as very lucky, doing things by halves, nay thirds in this case

Brian
Hence to old saying.

A stitch in time saves nine.----------
Old 15th March 2018, 13:43   #20
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

I may be completely wrong here, but I'm a little concerned that the mileage of your car might be higher than you believe it to be. I took the liberty of checking the MOT history and from that there are two reasons why I suspect this:

1. During its first MOT on 25/5/07, it's noted that there was 'No odometer' - so no recorded mileage exists. Why this should be I don't know but other, more knowledgable members, might have the answer.

2. During its MOT on 24/10/13 one of the fail points was the nearside front tyre tread depth being below the legal requirement. The three other tyres all have an advisory for being worn close to the legal limit - and this at only a supposed 17,000 miles. Now I can accept that the front tyres may be getting worn, especially if the car had been driven by a boy racer, but the rear tyres should have lasted for double that mileage.

And you have brake pad warning at only 22,000 miles? Mine are still the originals at 45,000. Was the elderly owner Stirling Moss by any chance?

Anyway, that aside, I wholeheartedly agree with Brian. The car is approaching its 14th birthday, so I'd recommend getting the belts done sooner rather than later.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote