Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th July 2016, 15:29   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Optional, it's not a K-Series

I was going to offer a compliment.

But after a comment like that, no chance.

It looks terrible - too bright.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 15:41   #12
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

I just don't think these new mg's capture the spirit of what mg was all about. In recent times the only mg that feels like a proper sports car is the tf.

We drove the mg3 before the abarth and the abarth out performed the mg3 in almost all tick boxes aside from ride comfort.

The mg3 however is a nice looking car, but, again, nothing really sets it apart from most other supermini hot hatches. Out of the 3 we drove, mg3, fiesta st and the abarth, had the ST been a bit cheaper, we would've had that but abarth did us a good deal on the abarth.
Si-monogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 16:04   #13
Mischief
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

I was going to offer a compliment.

But after a comment like that, no chance.

It looks terrible - too bright.
Had my Rover 75 1.8 for many years was always reliable only said in jest it's not just a screen name lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My 75's General Information:

• This vehicle was the 49,501st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
  • This vehicle was the 1st 75 in Celestial (Special Metallic) (code: IAI) to be made out of 19 Celestial (Special Metallic) 75s
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 16:33   #14
theridler
Gets stuck in

ZT-T+ CDTi '54 reg

Well I think it looks better than a Fiat 500 ... oops sorry Abarth... also, didn't MG start out tarting up standard road cars?
Old 26th July 2016, 16:59   #15
willshot
Posted a thing or two

Ex-ZI190 owner. ,Ford Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-monogram View Post
I just don't think these new mg's capture the spirit of what mg was all about. In recent times the only mg that feels like a proper sports car is the tf.

We drove the mg3 before the abarth and the abarth out performed the mg3 in almost all tick boxes aside from ride comfort.

The mg3 however is a nice looking car, but, again, nothing really sets it apart from most other supermini hot hatches. Out of the 3 we drove, mg3, fiesta st and the abarth, had the ST been a bit cheaper, we would've had that but abarth did us a good deal on the abarth.
So I assume you believe that your ZT-T and ZS don't "capture the spirit of what mg was all about" ?
willshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 17:10   #16
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshot View Post
So I assume you believe that your ZT-T and ZS don't "capture the spirit of what mg was all about" ?
Yeah that's what I believe. To me, you have to do more than stiffen the springs and add a body kit to get the essence of what the racing heritage was all about.
Old 26th July 2016, 17:12   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Well we went out looking (just looking) for a car that would be a bit cheaper than the 190 to run and ended up actually buying a new car
Congratulations on the new MG.

One day I went to Primark for a pair of trousers, I came back with a 4 berth Caravan.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 17:23   #18
willshot
Posted a thing or two

Ex-ZI190 owner. ,Ford Focus RS

Quote:
Yeah that's what I believe. To me, you have to do more than stiffen the springs and add a body kit to get the essence of what the racing heritage was all about.
Agreed. So what do you have to do to "get the essence of what the racing heritage was all about" ?
willshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 17:37   #19
The Incredible 'ULK'
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:

I too have to disagree with this, and feel it's quite the contrary! I'd set this up to be a cheap and cheerful Chinese car, and I was blown away with what I experienced on test driving one. The 3 is without doubt one of the best handling in this segment of cars, and is probably one of the best handling new cars available on the market right now. The last generation technology hydraulic steering gives it superior feel through the wheel, and the way the suspension is set up gives it a very firm road holding. I've never pushed a car so hard to try and create understeer and not even get the traction light interested! Add to that an enthusiastic little engine, and (considering the price) an interior and general fitment of European feeling build quality, you get the sense that whilst having a budget they've really made an excellent effort here. It deserves credit not necessarily because it's a good car for the price, but more on its own merits. There is a rumoured 1.5 turbo GT model that would produce 156bhp, and with that, I think that would make it the spiritual successor to the MG Metro Turbo. Need I say more?

Last edited by The Incredible 'ULK'; 26th July 2016 at 22:03..
The Incredible 'ULK' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 18:00   #20
Si-monogram
Banned

For me a real sports car is a rear wheel drive mid or rear engined unit. The mg tf is a fabulous car to drive and drives completely differently to any other mg available. It 'feels' like a sports car should. I'm sorry but re badging a 1.4 n/a front wheel drive car like the zr for example, just doesn't capture the essence of what mg used to be all about. This is very evident with the likes of bmw mini. It doesn't in any way capture the true essence of what sir Alec designed all those many years ago and is just a rebaged normal car. Mini means small, the mini is by no means a small car.

Don't get me wrong, the mg3 and mg6 are nice looking cars but having been in both, you could just as well be sat in a Toyota or Honda or Nissan because that's what they feel like to drive.