Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th March 2024, 10:35   #11
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Have managed to get a gearbox apart without to much trouble. There is a Youtube post by an American who is welding up the diff; seemingly because its going to be in a "race car"? Its a Getrag box similar to the R75 diesel so useful. Anyway.
One of the gearboxes I have on the floor have taken apart. No need to remove the gear change levers etc. You need to make something to hold the input shaft steady, I used the middle of a clutch friction plate that has the splines in the middle. Remove the middle and welded a bit of angle iron to it so that it would fit on the splies of the box and angage in abit of the bell housing. Need to remove the rubber coated steel cover that covers the bilt holding the shaft that ends in the bell housing. Drilled a small hole in it inserted a self tapping scew and rod hammered it ot. The remove the plastic thingy which exposes the srew head with female hex hole in it. Need to have it in gear to loosten the scrw but with it (and all the screws that hld to 2 halves together) it will just tap apart with a rubber mallet. Can then remove the diff which is my problem. There is a magnet in a recess near the drain plug; lots of iron bits there; not sure where from yet.
Have taken a few photos and will post once I get the other gearbox apart to make 1 from2 with different probs,
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote