Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th July 2012, 20:38   #11
stevo666

MG ZT-T

My dad has a 51 plate X type 3.0 se auto with all the options - he has had it from new and at the time we test dove the 2.5 ZT as an alternative. At the time, the Jag won hands down on comfort as ride was way too harsh in the ZT.
Thw jag still has the same refined ride (albeit only 29k on clock...) and its interesting that the jag is still more supple against my 54 plate ZT-T, although everyone comments as to how comfortable the MG is!
Jag returns 28mpg.
stevo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 20:40   #12
Terrorfex
Gets stuck in

Kia

Very interesting - thanks for the opinions.
Terrorfex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 07:47   #13
Binny

75 tourer

I've had Jaguar saloons for the last tenty years and currently have an X350 Super V8 which replaced an X300 XJ12 and a Series 111 XJ12 and all were/are fantastic cars if you can live with the fuel consumption, expensive parts and repairs etc. However I have to say that our 200,000 plus miles 75 Connie Tourer is probably more comfortable on long runs than the Jag!
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 08:11   #14
mrsimon
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorfex View Post
What's your opinion? How have they been for you as a brand? How do they compare to our own 75s?

I've been looking at a few, seeing as the 75 I want isn't likely to appear any time soon.
I had an X Type 2.2D executive. Found it cramped and disappointing for Jaguar standards. Too Mondeo. Engine ok.
Sold it and got a 2.7D S Type. Proper Jaguar with nicer leather and fittings. Problems with electronic handbrake. A bit big and barge like!! But classic and elegant.
Been impressed with Rover 75 leather quality and cabin size is better than the X Type. The Jaguar radio / CD etc is more up to date, e.g no tapedeck.

I'm about to get an MG ZT cdti
mrsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 08:49   #15
djspenna
Avid contributor

MG-ZT+ CDTi 135

Morning all……I sold my ZT CDTi a couple of months back. No major problems with it, I think the problem was I hadn’t seen many and I got “caught up in the moment” so to speak and I was quite disappointed with it. I’ve now got a BMW 320D SE which is a lovely car, nice to drive, economical, etc…………..but I still would like another ZT or a 75 – HOWEVER I have been looking at X-type’s, the 2.0 Diesel model. They seem to be going for not much money and most of them seem to have full Jag history and look in very good condition. One way of looking at it, is that whoever bought them from new they would have been maintaining their car, regardless of cost.

To me they seem to be a very good secondhand bet – excellent MPG, good spec on Sport and other models and look the dogs wotsits.

Or should I go for another ZT/75 ???
djspenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:33   #16
chrisquelch
Regular poster

rover 75 saloon/MG ZTT/ jag s type

Smile

hi all
i have a 2004 2.5 s type jag and a 2004 face lift 75 1.8 auto and must say that the rover is an excllent car but the jag is better it rides and handles better being rear wheel drive. also just brought a 2002 2.5 ztt so will compaire the performance. i think the jag will wins again. it seems that a lot of rover/mg owners also have a jag or is it that jag owners who want a second car see rover/mg as there second choise.
cheers chris
chrisquelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:57   #17
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Andrew,

Something to consider is that rear wheel drive motors tend to get stuck in the snow/ice when the cold season is upon us especially in our neuk of the world. Of course winter tyres will help sort this out, but just something to consider.

On quite a few days every year the main road with the slightest of inclines just outside my workplace is littered with a demolition derby of Mercs, BMX, and Jags all abandoned.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 14:45   #18
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Ive driven both a 75 in top spec and an s type 4.0 v8 in top spec.
For me the 75 wins hands down. The s type was the faster of the 2 but the interior of the 75 was a much nicer place to be(not saying the jags wasnt nice).
The 75 also had more rear leg room than the s type which is strange given there target markets.
The 75s boot was also bigger.
The 75 doesnt corrode like the jags either as if you look on the jag forum you will see pictures when people take off oversills (plastic covers) to be shown with a rusty hole running the length of the sill.
If i had the money a 75 would be in my possesion but also an s type would be aswell. Oh one other thing i found the switch gear ie window switches to be from a mk3 ford granada
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 16:35   #19
derekosb
Occasional interested visitor

Kia SOUL EV

Default X-Type 2.2D Sport Premium

I went from nearly 3 years (and 52k) with my 75 CDTi Connie Se to a Jaguar X-Type 2.2D Sport Premium.

At the time I thought the Jaguar was a good car but preferred the build and finish of my Rover. The X-Type is much more than a Mondeo in a nicer suit though and well worth considering.

Would love a 3.0 V6 with AWD (although it would have to be LPG to be able to run it) but would probably have another diesel.

I sold mine after 9 months because it needed too many jobs needing done all at the same time. Having had my convertible for 3 months now I would say the novelty is wearing off (although the recent constant rain doesn't help) and I am missing my Jaguar. It wasn't perfect but it was a sight better than the Megane. On reflection I should probably have kept the X-Type and gradually fixed the faults as it was reliable enough (apart from stuttering caused by a dirty EGR valve).

I had really wanted to change to an S-Type but the running costs and complexity scared me off.

HTH

Derek

Scottish Members Guestmap here.
Just click on your location to add a marker.
derekosb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 16:54   #20
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Simon

Please post up some pictures, so that we can admire it

Stu

PS you can get new discs and pads and fit them yourself for around £200

I will then it stops raining i will!

Also the jag s type are different from 99-02 and late 02 onwards. The later model has a different front suspenion set-up (early models were heavy on ball joint/bushes wear), 6 speed different make of autobox (you will see alot of early ones with 5 speed gearbox faults on ebay) and a new dash layout. Alot of people said the 2002 onwards s type should of been the s type from day 1.
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote