Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th June 2024, 11:25   #11
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
To answer your question, you did everything wrong. Firstly by getting yourself into the situation where none of the choices were really viable.

You should have slowed down and if necessary stopped well before getting to the end of the slip lane.

I would never expect a lorry, with all its limitations, to have to manoeuvre out of my way in order to let me onto the main carriageway.

Showing the lorry driver a finger was just you showing self-declared entitlement!

No sympathy for you, I am afraid. Time to read the highway code and retake the driving test perhaps?

I drive a 3.0L XF and a Corsa 1.2 - the difference is no more than the need to adjust my driving style based on each car's capability.

So are you saying the response from the lorry driver was understandable and acceptable?
Maninder.

VVC-Geeza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 11:33   #12
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
So are you saying the response from the lorry driver was understandable and acceptable?
Maninder.

I would say the lorry drivers attitude more understandable however neither are really acceptable.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 11:35   #13
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Maninder.

I am saying that the OP initiated the interaction with the lorry which lead to a response from the lorry driver that whilst wrong would not be unexpected.

The person that caused the sitiatuion is the OP and it is only helpful that this is pointed out.
Old 17th June 2024, 11:45   #14
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
I am saying that the OP initiated the interaction with the lorry which lead to a response from the lorry driver that whilst wrong would not be unexpected.

The person that caused the sitiatuion is the OP and it is only helpful that this is pointed out.
Nobody is disputing that the OP was in the wrong however,a response like that from a professional driver,who must experience this situation almost daily, is totally unacceptable.
Not only is it very dangerous it is setting an appalling example from someone professionally trained in driving.The lorry driver should have let it go and pulled back otherwise he is going to have a very unhappy and possibly short career.

Old 17th June 2024, 11:52   #15
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Quote:
Nobody is disputing that the OP was in the wrong however,a response like that from a professional driver,who must experience this situation almost daily, is totally unacceptable.
Not only is it very dangerous it is setting an appalling example from someone professionally trained in driving.The lorry driver should have let it go and pulled back otherwise he is going to have a very unhappy and possibly short career.

Whilst i do not totally disagree with you bear in mind the OP cut the HGV up to get out in front of him and then presumably slowed to less than 56MPH or the HGV would not have caught up with him as they are speed limited to this.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Old 17th June 2024, 11:52   #16
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

From a pragmatic point of view, the high potential for the lorry driver to react poorly is just another factor that should weigh into the OP's (any driver's) decision making process.

Clue was here it seems:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
lorry that seems to not want to let me in and one in front of him.
The fact that he shouldn't react like a cretin doesn't change the fact that he might, and needs to be accounted for by an advanced driver.

Actually it's totally understandable. OP probably ruined the lorry driver's slipstream.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 11:57   #17
starbug2
This is my second home

Silver Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDTI + MGF 1.8 in BRG

joining traffic MUST GIVE WAY to traffic on the main road . end of... any one on main road may if it suits them to give way but that is NOT to be assumed . there may of been traffic in the middle lane so making it not possible to move out and putting the brakes on may mean something up his bum .. so it up to YOU to give way .
to many times ive had folk come in from slip roads nearly making me crash as they think i should move but if im blocked in from behind and the side i nhave limited options . where poss i will mostly try to let folk out but i hate being almost rammed by folk forcing there way in front of me with little waring . IT is dangerous and only fools do it to many think they have the right to force others to move out of there way ..

now with 2020 MG ZS 1Lt TURBO engine with automatic 6 speed gearbox to help keep the 75 and MG F going as long as possible
starbug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2024, 11:59   #18
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Whilst i do not totally disagree with you bear in mind the OP cut the HGV up to get out in front of him and then presumably slowed to less than 56MPH or the HGV would not have caught up with him as they are speed limited to this.
I agree Pete that it was naughty of the OP but the response from a professional driver to something he must regularly experience was completely OTT in my opinion.Would he havereacted like that had there been a police car in the vicinity. I don't think so.The OP said he'd learned from it so hopefully he'll behave differently in future too.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 17th June 2024 at 12:07..
Old 17th June 2024, 12:04   #19
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Quote:
I agree Pete that it was naughty of the OP but the response from a professional driver to something he must regularly experience was completely OTT in my opinion..Would he have
reacted like that had there been a police car in the vicinity. I don't think so.He said he'd learned from it so hopefully he'll behave differently in future too.
Rather than naughty i would say it was potentially dangerous. Had there been a police car in the vicinity i would hope he would have pulled over the OP rather than the HGV driver as the OP was the only reason for the incident in the first place. Lets hope some of the comments on here have educated the OP especially as he has also said the HGV was being overtaken by another at the time of the incident so had no where else to go.

Old 17th June 2024, 12:14   #20
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Rather than naughty i would say it was potentially dangerous. Had there been a police car in the vicinity i would hope he would have pulled over the OP rather than the HGV driver as the OP was the only reason for the incident in the first place. Lets hope some of the comments on here have educated the OP especially as he has also said the HGV was being overtaken by another at the time of the incident so had no where else to go.
Agreed but,will the lorry driver also learn to moderate his reaction? Because I can guarantee that it won't be long before it happens again to someone spending their days on the roads full time.There is no doubt who was at fault but it certainly won't be a one off for that lorry driver and he needs to consider that for his own sanity.