Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th April 2022, 09:59   #11
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Bit of an update, new PAS arrived ready to fit but on having a much better look has brought some more issues .... I think. The PAS pump was ‘groaning’ a bit during the colder mornings of winter. Yes, tried the Forté treatment and it has quietened it down.... or so I think. Looks like I have an oil leak from the crankshaft seal, dripping onto belt and being spread liberally around the area. Not too much, not noticeable on the dip stick, but enough to be making area around the belts a bit damp with it. The alternator is definitely now suspect, the no charge light comes on sometimes, stays on and/or goes back off (and stays off). The car is running off the battery I reckon as I discovered on Friday, have a fully charged spare in lock up, so swapped over. Checked at idle and can’t see any notable difference in voltage at battery with or without engine running. Now the whining sound I suspected was the PAS pump saying goodbye is coming from the alternator, with the (sometimes) burning/smoke coming from the alternator pulley/belt area. To get to the alternator is PAS pump off, so might as well replace with new one, alternator wiggled out. But the crankshaft seal? That’s probably beyond me. Any tips?
Schotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2022, 12:17   #12
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

When you get to the bottom of which bit is dying, make sure you change the belts and clean the pulley's.
When my pump was leaking it killed the alternator and got on the belts.
Changed the belts but didn't clean the pulley's.
A few months later the belt shredded whilst motoring along.
1st and only time it's had to be recovered in 7 years.
Oil will soften the belt and makes them sticky.

Stan
Old 13th April 2022, 03:14   #13
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Question

The crankshaft oil seals on the BMW diesel are normally pretty bombproof.
I still think your oil leak is the PAS pump leaking.

Your car is coming up to the right age for the crankshaft pulley needing replacing.

Have you replaced the crankshaft pulley yet ?

Now is the time to do it.

The Corteco part is recommended.

Last edited by MarkS; 13th April 2022 at 03:19..
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2022, 18:32   #14
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Angry

Bit of an update on the on going saga. Car has been in local garage for past 2 weeks, the net result of which is they have ‘diagnosed’ the cause of the ‘no charge’ light coming on is a faulty alternator- really? Managed to work that one out 3 weeks ago. Now the mechanic told me it was oil, I said no as it looked like PAS fluid to me, and as the alternator is right underneath then it would be suspect. Nope, adamant it was oil, even though it wasn’t black. Now during the first week in the garage it was a crankshaft oil seal that was managing to drip on the s belt, go all the way round and drip down on the alternator and no where else. I wasn’t buying it and kept on saying look at the fluid, it isn’t oil it’s PAS fluid. Clean the mess up and you’ll see where it’s coming from. Nope, if it was PAS fluid, and as the the pump was really noisy then that was a as a result of me over filling it - it needed filling as it was leaking from somewhere - go find! By end of the 2nd week, and the car still not moved, it was now a suspected leak from the PAS, after all listen to the pump it’s ‘screaming away’ because there is low fluid in it!!! Where did my ‘over fill’ go then??? Ah it looks like it could be coming from the PAS reservoir, its pipes/clips or the pump. Best replace the lot. I asked about the alternator, as you can hardly charge me for replacing the PAS pump etc when is has to come off anyway tho get to the alternator. I had then to listen to how bad a design the car was, it should have been RWD, it’s old and not really worth spending the money on. Not really their business, maybe their opinion but what was their alternative solution??? Ok so now it’s not the crankshaft pulley oil seal then? Pressed for costs and when it could be fixed, bearing in mind they’ve had it for 2 weeks, during which time I could have done it - but for the reason I don’t have the time and/or the facilities to complete the job practically. I get the reply that it’s a bit of job etc etc, well that’s what I pay you for, if it were easy then I’d do it myself. I just asked for the key back and left with car, won’t be going back especially not for it’s next MOT. Should have known better when the mechanic’s initial diagnoses was ‘its a Rover’ and couldn’t open the bonnet.

Last edited by Schotten; 25th April 2022 at 18:37..
Old 25th April 2022, 20:52   #15
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotten View Post
Bit of an update on the on going saga. Car has been in local garage for past 2 weeks, the net result of which is they have ‘diagnosed’ the cause of the ‘no charge’ light coming on is a faulty alternator- really? Managed to work that one out 3 weeks ago. Now the mechanic told me it was oil, I said no as it looked like PAS fluid to me, and as the alternator is right underneath then it would be suspect. Nope, adamant it was oil, even though it wasn’t black. Now during the first week in the garage it was a crankshaft oil seal that was managing to drip on the s belt, go all the way round and drip down on the alternator and no where else. I wasn’t buying it and kept on saying look at the fluid, it isn’t oil it’s PAS fluid. Clean the mess up and you’ll see where it’s coming from. Nope, if it was PAS fluid, and as the the pump was really noisy then that was a as a result of me over filling it - it needed filling as it was leaking from somewhere - go find! By end of the 2nd week, and the car still not moved, it was now a suspected leak from the PAS, after all listen to the pump it’s ‘screaming away’ because there is low fluid in it!!! Where did my ‘over fill’ go then??? Ah it looks like it could be coming from the PAS reservoir, its pipes/clips or the pump. Best replace the lot. I asked about the alternator, as you can hardly charge me for replacing the PAS pump etc when is has to come off anyway tho get to the alternator. I had then to listen to how bad a design the car was, it should have been RWD, it’s old and not really worth spending the money on. Not really their business, maybe their opinion but what was their alternative solution??? Ok so now it’s not the crankshaft pulley oil seal then? Pressed for costs and when it could be fixed, bearing in mind they’ve had it for 2 weeks, during which time I could have done it - but for the reason I don’t have the time and/or the facilities to complete the job practically. I get the reply that it’s a bit of job etc etc, well that’s what I pay you for, if it were easy then I’d do it myself. I just asked for the key back and left with car, won’t be going back especially not for it’s next MOT. Should have known better when the mechanic’s initial diagnoses was ‘its a Rover’ and couldn’t open the bonnet.

You should have asked them if the engine problem is because, as they say " because it's a Rover."........then what would the problem be if it had a BMW coat on.
Old 25th April 2022, 21:40   #16
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Question

Try putting the AC on and full lock on the steering, and then look for smoke from the perished slipping crankshaft pulley, and signs of the PAS pump slowing.

Last edited by MarkS; 25th April 2022 at 21:47..
Old 28th April 2022, 10:08   #17
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Hi there, tried that and no smoke or sign of the belt slipping. Looks like either a leaking PAS reservoir or pipe. I’ll change the pump anyway as it was noisy - I would doubt the reservoir has suddenly developed a leak, more like pipe or clip (Oetekir clips not cheapest to get). Here’s hoping
Old 4th May 2022, 16:07   #18
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Red face

The belt doesn't slip.
The inner and outer part of the crankshaft pulley (which are connected by 'rubber') slip against each other due to the perished rubber.
But the belt may visibly slow down.

Last edited by MarkS; 4th May 2022 at 16:10..
Old 5th May 2022, 21:17   #19
IanNCL

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Time to change the alternator AND repair the PS pump, while you're there.
The gasket that goes between the 2 halves of the PS pump is known to leak badly, especially as all pumps are now ~20 years old, but only costs ~£8.
e....
MarkS can you tell me where you would get gaskets at around £8. I was looking for one for the KV6 petrol and could only find a full kit at close to £30

regards
Ian
IanNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2022, 07:44   #20
Schotten
Loves to post

75 Saloon

Alternator and PAS pump all replaced, quieter and now have a longer range than about 25-30 miles on a full battery charge !! No more spare batteries in the boot ‚just in case‘. One curious thing, when switching off the engine, the airbag light, ABS and low oil pressure lights on the led display glow slightly and then dim to off. Anyone has this before after alternator replacement (don’t tell me there’s a fault with it!!)