Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th November 2015, 14:11   #11
Christoff
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

What a shame.
My chums and I have been going to this show for years and have always enjoyed it - a real 'boys day out'. Sadly, something has changed. Don't know if it's true but we were told that this year there is a new organiser/organisation. Many of the exhibitors were grumbling and one in particular who had been exhibiting and selling a few spares to members for over 20 years had been banned from selling spares. He was offered a 'selling space' for £3,000 !!! As he only sold a few hundred pounds of spares as a service to club members he didn't take it He later found out some other small exhibitor had been given the space for free !!
The layout has changed for the worse - clanging, crashing and banging from the restoration stand was intruding onto other stands and the screaming row from the 'wall of death' was an absolute nuisance. No one expects a car show to be quiet but that was a wretched intrusion that never seem to be a problem in the past.
We are normally waiting to go in as the doors open and get ushered out by security at the end of the day - tired but happy - this time it was different - we were ready to leave at just after 3.30. Something has changed - what a shame.
Add to that the increased cost of entry - then £12 to park and the horrendous problems on the M42 getting in and out it's not the fun day out it used to be. Still a good show but not without problems and apparently heading in the wrong direction
Chris Mower
Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 14:25   #12
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I went yesterday with the rev Fred Rich and had a good day. We didn't get all the way round it was so big even after being there over 6 hours. I did manage to get a nos part for my dolomite but we both felt there were to many new classics ie lambos etc and overpriced cars for sale.

We only saw one varient of our cars a 260 ztt but we had a long interesting conversation with collin on the Allegro stand. He like Fred is a minister but with an interesting past. He was the paster for the jaguar plant and also Longbridge and in post at the end and works one day a week at Gaydon. He told us that there are a lot of untrue rumours about cars at the end, about the pride and effort put into getting the last 75s off the lines. Being allowed to go around the plant with his Gaydon hat on to salvage things for the musium. The Chinese negotiations and the tears of at least one of the Phoenix four at the end who did care. The new diesel engine for the 75 on test in 45s. I could go on for hours, it was a great conversation.

Now Collin not only owns an Allegro he owns a 75 contemporary se that he has worked on to make it his own and is as much a 75 fan as any of us. We have asked him to join the club and he and Fred have exchanged details as they have mutual friends in the clergy. He asked us if the club was genuine as there were a few 75 groups that were suspect. We told him this is the one to be in and hopefully with freds influence we may see this very knowledgeable man join our club.

Last edited by RobSun; 14th November 2015 at 14:31..
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 14:28   #13
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

I really wanted to go, but circumstances dictated that I was unable to do so, this year. I have very much enjoyed the event in previous years, however.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 14:33   #14
Dart2050
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTI Tourer, MGF and Triumph Bonneville America

Angry

I think the NEC is under new ownership, which might explain the changes and increased costs
Dart2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 14:44   #15
freck
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connie Tourer

Last time I went to the bike show at the NEC in 2010 it was £10 to park for the day so it's not increased that much

Mods planned - Cruise retrofit - Done, ZT front bumper - Done, 160 remap - Done...and probably one or two more

This vehicle was the 15,751st 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
This vehicle was the 3,726th 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur to be made out of 4,100
This vehicle was the 732nd 75 Tourer in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 4,100 Starlight Silver 75 Tourers
freck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 16:24   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

There has been a change of 'owner', I think it is Lancaster Insurance, not sure. I have never been. I don't like getting ripped off. ( Wife said I am to tight) Only ever been Earls Court once years ago. Found it scruffy and food over priced. Not my idea of a good day out I am afraid. I have mixed with some of those who are 'in control' of these type of venue, and they refer to the paying public as 'punters'. Not a very nice way of referring to people who are putting your dinner on the table is it.
Old 14th November 2015, 18:43   #17
kbradley75

Rover 75 CDTI Contempoary SE Auto

Sad that the 75/ZT Club was rejected this year. Always enjoyed seeing the excellent examples that were on display.
kbradley75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 19:23   #18
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duotone View Post
........A great number of stands selling goods not related to cars and a lots of places selling expensive food and really expensive coffee's.

Dave T
Just come back from the show today. It may be my imagination, but there seemed to be a lot less cars, and far more sales stands than in previous years.

Both me and my brother felt a little disappointed with the show - they found room for stands selling shoes, leather jackets, insurance, portable garages etc, but seemingly at the expense of some car clubs (most notably our own of course). Not sure if I'll bother next year to be honest.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 19:49   #19
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Just come back from the show today. It may be my imagination, but there seemed to be a lot less cars, and far more sales stands than in previous years.

Both me and my brother felt a little disappointed with the show - they found room for stands selling shoes, leather jackets, insurance, portable garages etc, but seemingly at the expense of some car clubs (most notably our own of course). Not sure if I'll bother next year to be honest.

Cliff
Maybe we should e mail this chap !

He wants to know what we thought about our visit to the show, Mr Dan Nwaokolo.

From the souvenir guide.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 20:06   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

For those who didn't enjoy the NEC show, I can recommend an alternative. Go to the next classic car auction at the Bristol & West Showground at Shepton Mallet. Not only will you be able to view at close quarters all the cars entered for auction, but your fellow enthusiasts will turn up in a wide variety of superb classic cars. Just walk around the car park and talk to them!

Another option is to seek out local classic car shows held all over the country. I exhibited my SD1 in my region last July. There were about one hundred cars including such exotics as two Lancia Aurelias. There were no car parking charges or overpriced food. Instead, just delicious dishes from the local Indian restaurant and pizzeria.

Go on, do something different next year.

Simon