Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th December 2013, 09:23   #11
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Avulon,

I'd be interested in your solution, as the only need for my Rpi integration would be to get my music playing through the stereo.

If my cd changer accepted mp3 discs, I'd live with that, but it doesn't

Ideally, I'd love an intravee to integrate my iPod, but that's just so costly.

Tris

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...23e7a5fd05.jpg http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...98a7bbedce.jpg

BMW Widescreen, Mark 4 Nav, BM24 radio upgrade, Monogram leather interior, factory DVD & Rear TV
Ex MG Rover car (MG52 ROV)
TristanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 12:36   #12
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanC View Post
Avulon,

I'd be interested in your solution, as the only need for my Rpi integration would be to get my music playing through the stereo.

If my cd changer accepted mp3 discs, I'd live with that, but it doesn't

Ideally, I'd love an intravee to integrate my iPod, but that's just so costly.

Tris

The intravee is costly, I think the GROM units work out cheaper. With using the RPi, I've used the Ressler interface £50 SDCARD £10, Various cables and a (good quality) usb power adaptor £20, rpi Case £5, dedicated flash drive £10 on top of the cost of the Rpi - I could probably have got a Grom for that money (but wouldn't have been as satisfying): plus I've probably spent upwards of 60 hours on software development as well.

However I don't mind sharing what I've done with anyone else, it's just that there are notelets and pieces of paper and scraps of code all over the place, strewn across at least two computers and desks. It could certainly do with pulling together, let's see what time I get to my own devices next week.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 15:46   #13
scoubix
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5L V6 auto Connoisseur, "Dealer Launch" LHD / MG ZT-T 260 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
The intravee is costly, I think the GROM units work out cheaper. With using the RPi, I've used the Ressler interface £50 SDCARD £10, Various cables and a (good quality) usb power adaptor £20, rpi Case £5, dedicated flash drive £10 on top of the cost of the Rpi - I could probably have got a Grom for that money (but wouldn't have been as satisfying): plus I've probably spent upwards of 60 hours on software development as well.

However I don't mind sharing what I've done with anyone else, it's just that there are notelets and pieces of paper and scraps of code all over the place, strewn across at least two computers and desks. It could certainly do with pulling together, let's see what time I get to my own devices next week.
If I do the maths correctly you're about 100£ spent on your RPi, + the 60 or so hours spent on software coding. True Intravee is costly but you can get a brand new one from toysinyourcar.com for 150£, and the Alpine KCA-420i can be found used from 20 or so £, which is what I did, and the end-result is probably the best iPod integration one can get for our hiline setups.
Old 20th December 2013, 16:11   #14
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Nobody has answered the original question, do our cars have iBus?
Can Bus and K Bus yes. iBus not apparently.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 16:24   #15
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Rover call it Nav-Bus, BMW call it I-Bus, essentially the same thing i.e. 9600 baud serial link with the same data structure.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 16:37   #16
TristanC
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

Well, the RPi combined with the PiBus interface looks like a really nice solution.

And add in a wifi dongle to it you can AirPlay music and video to it.
Perhaps even digital tv.

RPI is about £60 with a wifi dongle and SD card, then about £40 for the pibus.

All that's needed then are the BMW style cd changer connectors as per the intravee.
Google "pibus bmw" - you'll see some demo video of it in action.

Tris

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...23e7a5fd05.jpg http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...98a7bbedce.jpg

BMW Widescreen, Mark 4 Nav, BM24 radio upgrade, Monogram leather interior, factory DVD & Rear TV
Ex MG Rover car (MG52 ROV)
TristanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 16:39   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Rover call it Nav-Bus, BMW call it I-Bus, essentially the same thing i.e. 9600 baud serial link with the same data structure.
Is the Nav-bus not just for the Hi-line navigation system?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 17:03   #18
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Its just terminology Harry, the bus is itself is 9600, 8 bit, one stop bit even parity serial link, the command structure used on "both" is the same, Source ID, Length, Dest ID,DATA and an xor checksum and use the same cable.

To access the IPK the dest ID = 80, for the nav the ID is 3B, these commands are sent over the DS2 bus link from pin 8 of J1962.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 17:42   #19
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Nobody has answered the original question, do our cars have iBus?
Yes.

(the short answer )

Well if it's a highline anyway. I guess it still does on the others as well just not so many components talking on it.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:

Last edited by Avulon; 20th December 2013 at 17:44.. Reason: Always add a disclaimer...
Old 20th December 2013, 17:49   #20
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

The Pibus hardware does look it like it'll do a good job, but at the price I think it's a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution (trigger the rpi to boot and shutdown, and provide the interface to the Ibus.): at £20 I'd consider it. Only the Ibus interface is really necessary and the parts for that would only be a couple of £ anyway: I'll have a go at building one and try it in place of the Ressler interface soon.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do: