Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2012, 07:37   #11
justmicky
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

I have got a 10Gb monthly allowance with BT and my kids stream tv regulary, at least 3-4 hrs a week.
e.g a 30-minute TV programme streamed from the BBC iPlayer, so that you watch it directly on the website, will use around 108MB, according to BT. This is little more than a 10th of a single GB.
We have only ever once gone over the limit at Christmas by 1 GB and that was because I was also reinstalling computers with new O.S.
I think 40 Gb for what you want to do is more than ample, its pointless paying over the odds for a package you will not use.
Mine is £16 a month but includes an unlimited phone call package
justmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:03   #12
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Sadly, it appears that you are some distance from the exchange and therefore have a long line. This does, im afraid, mean you will have to swap technology to either VM or a FTTC (infinity)

Have a look at some other ISPs though. There are providers using BTs wholesale FTTC whom may be able to give you a more favourable cap.

In relation to the cap, what you need to worry about is if yoir browsing habits will change once you have a super fast connection.

For example, you see thqt netflix is doing a free month trial on its HD content and take up the offer simply because its both free and will really test your bandwidth.

Well a full HD stream with 5.1 audio will come in at a little over 2gig AN HOUR! So a Couple of films a week doesnt leave you a lot to play with.

Last edited by SapperGB; 23rd March 2012 at 08:21..
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:37   #13
jaygee
Avid contributor

Jaguar XJ6 SE.3.0 x350 also a Mitsubishi Outlander 04 reg 2.4 sport 4x4 in silver...

[QUOTE=rovexCDTi;952666]Probably. streaming TV is usually about 1GB an hour or so. Its downloading and streaming that uses bandwidth.

A word of caution... BT infinity is what i have since July 2010 and it is supposed to be unlimited (a farce) the first month i received an email warning me that i had gone over 300gb and if i continued to do this they would cut my speed at peak times to be fair to other users.

Also i regularly get up to 38mb speed but that means nothing if you are downloading from a slow connection.
get yourself a free download of broadband download monitor. to keep check.....
regards
John...
Old 30th March 2012, 07:37   #14
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Well in the end I had to opt for someone so went for Virgin. I'm getting phone line, evening and weekend calls and 30mb broadband going up to 60mb in August.

The reason I decided not to go with BT is they refused to honour a letter giving me six months free broadband on an 18 month contract. I had the letter but had lost it but I had remembered the 'code' needed apart from one or two digits of it. I asked them to look me up on their database as they must know who they had sent letters to and they said it couldn't be done. I told them to forget it and I am cancelling my phone line with them. They then became apologetic and offered me a good deal. My address wasn't on Virgins list of properties in my road that could get cable so I had to get someone out to confirm I could get cable. I told him of the BT fiasco and eventual offer and he undercut it by a couple of quid.

So rightly or wrongly I am trying Virgin and only time will tell if I have made the right decision. Either way it's going to be faster and hopefully more reliable than the Aol I have now

Thanks for everyone's help
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:52   #15
saltash

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer, 2002 Diesel

I feel like the kid outside the sweetshop with no money - - I live too far from an exchange and outside VM coverage - max line rate 1.5Mb/s if I'm lucky - I dream of being able to stream video at all!

Enjoy the fact that a 40GB limit seems a restriction!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] When I'm not in a Rover.....
saltash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 06:46   #16
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltash View Post
I feel like the kid outside the sweetshop with no money - - I live too far from an exchange and outside VM coverage - max line rate 1.5Mb/s if I'm lucky - I dream of being able to stream video at all!

Enjoy the fact that a 40GB limit seems a restriction!

I never realised speeds like that we're still around, where is Holywell?
Old 4th April 2012, 11:36   #17
fj1200
Avid contributor

2003 Rover 75 SE Tourer CDTi, Silver

Been with PlusNet for 11 years - 60GB per month, never gone over but come pretty close mainly due to the kids watching the same episode of Dr Who 300 times! But daddy works in IT and daddy knows how to configure routers so they stop all that! Mwahahahahaaaa....!

And daddy drives a 75...
Old 4th April 2012, 22:06   #18
saltash

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer, 2002 Diesel

"I never realised speeds like that we're still around, where is Holywell?"

In the wilds of Wales -I'm at the end of a 8km piece of copper wire joining me to Prestatyn exchange - not much likelihood of joining the super highway on our country lane!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] When I'm not in a Rover.....

Last edited by saltash; 4th April 2012 at 22:09..
saltash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 06:57   #19
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltash View Post
"I never realised speeds like that we're still around, where is Holywell?"

In the wilds of Wales -I'm at the end of a 8km piece of copper wire joining me to Prestatyn exchange - not much likelihood of joining the super highway on our country lane!
8km and we moan if it's more than 500 yards! It does sound nice and quiet though