Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th June 2012, 07:15   #11
Gazmo65
Loves to post

Volvo S80

Earlier v6 engines had 3 coils with leads at the front and coil packs at the rear, front plugs are easy to change as you already have done the rears are held in place by a small bolt or two, when removed the coil pack can be pulled up and off, the spark plug is then buried below this and is a real so and so to get to but can be done,remove the small bulkhead panel dont remove the manifold this makes it more involved,make sure you put a very small amount of copper grease on the threads of the new plugs as it makes it easier to take them out when you want to change them again.Whilst you are at it pull back the black rubber sleeve that is on the connection to the coil pack and check the insulation of the wire for about 3 inches from the electrical plug as you sometimes get rubbing and chaffing causing a misfire, people put down to damp or spark plugs.
Gazmo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 19:17   #12
kmtranter
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Bit the bullet and finally changed the rear plugs, didn't remove the manifold in the end. The hardest bit I found was finding the bolts holding the coil packs in place and effectively working by feel only. I dread to think the last time the plugs had been changed as the electrodes had been really worn down. Misfire now gone and the engine management light has gone out, but best of all a smile on my face as I my car now feels better than when I brought it last year, and the £150 I saved by doing the job myself.
kmtranter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 21:22   #13
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Good on you Kevin

I changed mine a couple of months back and yes they are tricky to get at the rear.
I'm six foot plus and reaching over the engine my feet slipped a couple of times resulting in me getting rather physical with the top of the engine.
For shorter guys it must be a nightmare unless you actually sit up on top of the engine.

By the way I found an immediate result in the fuel consumption, it improved by about 2mpg.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 21:56   #14
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Mine also had not been done since the year dot, sure my fuel consumption has got better!
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote